• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Coaching is the Focus during Lockout so how about Willie Randolph

Robrock30

I am getting strong thoughts that this would be an important hire.  

Pros

Experienced successful MLB manager with Mets in fact he was fired in Anaheim hotel room at 3 AM NY time after beating the Angels because they didn't want to fire him on Fathers Day prior to the flight out. LOL

All time Great Yankee 2B old school type fundamentally sound with great disposition and baseball acumen.

Quality baseball guy and person who deserves a 2nd chance and will be great assisting Joe Maddon as an experienced coach with gravitas.

Internal strengthening should be the current goal in these lockout times.  Naiyu Gaikan

24 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He could also replace Maddon after his contract expires. 

Joe Maddon is irreplaceable WS Champ from 02 & Cubs 16 and put Tampa on the Map.  I do believe Willie Randolph would complement him well and could manage in the event Maddon is ejected or absent.  Two strong personalities with 4 eyes and ears is best as long as they don't clash and are Team Players.

7 minutes ago, Robrock30 said:

No but I have been through Downtown Carlsbad 

The change in Carlsbad over 25 years is huge.  I don’t live there any more but I have spent a ton of time there.

The weekly vacation rental phenomena took over a long time ago and is basically the full frontal identity for the town now.  I am sure it has made a ton of money for the city but it has deeply eroded the sleepy local charm of what that place once was.

Oh well.  We all get older and uglier.

23 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The change in Carlsbad over 25 years is huge.  I don’t live there any more but I have spent a ton of time there.

The weekly vacation rental phenomena took over a long time ago and is basically the full frontal identity for the town now.  I am sure it has made a ton of money for the city but it has deeply eroded the sleepy local charm of what that place once was.

My Brother's Wife lived in Oceanside and was born in Anaheim so I am familiar having visited.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I know the town well

I used to live in Encinitas and Vista

Great place to go and the beaches there are beautiful

57 minutes ago, Redondo said:

I know the town well

I used to live in Encinitas and Vista

Great place to go and the beaches there are beautiful

We have a lot in common.  I lived in Encinitas before college and eventually bought a house in Vista after college (after living in Carlsbad for years).

And your name is Redondo. . .

I worked at the corner of Vista Del Mar and S. Catalina Ave in Redondo for some time.

Edited by Dtwncbad

4 hours ago, happybat4 said:

I'm not as familiar with older players but Randolph has a 65.9 career WAR. He's better than a lot of players in the HOF.

• Major Accolades and Awards: All-Star (6) (1976, 1977, 1980, 1981, 1987 & 1989)
    Silver Slugger (1) (AL) (1980)
    Most Walks (1) (AL) (1980)
    World Series Rings (3) (New York Yankees, 1977 & 1978, Oakland A’s, 1990)
  • Other Points of Note: 1 Top Ten Finish (Batting Average)
    6 Top Ten Finishes (On Base Percentage)
    1 Top Ten Finish (OPS+)
    3 Top Ten Finishes (Runs Scored)
    2 Top Ten Finishes (Triples)
    8 Top Ten Finishes (Walks)
    4 Top Ten Finishes (Stolen Bases)
    1 Top Ten Finish (Win Probability Added)
    1 Top Ten Finish (Total Zone Runs)
    4 Top Ten Finishes (Defensive bWAR)
    4 Top Ten Finishes (bWAR for Position Players)
  • Notable All Time Rankings: 41.  Total Zone Runs: 114
    51.  Defensive WAR: 19.4
    55.  Walks: 1,243
    93.  bWAR for Position Players: 65.5

During his first three full seasons, Randolph’s Mets posted a winning record. In 2006, the Mets won their first National League East title since 1988 but lost in Game 7 of the NLCS.

Randolph ended his Mets tenure with a ledger of 302-253 and a .544 winning percentage, which still ranks second behind Davey Johnson in their franchise history.

Before the 2003 ALCS, New York Yankees third base coach Willie Randolph told third baseman, Aaron Boone that he was his “sleeper pick.” By the time that series was finished Boone was a Game 7 hero with a pennant-winning, walk-off homer, and Randolph’s hunch was proven correct.

Randolph also served as a Yankee co-captain from 1986-88. He had all of the skills and leadership qualities you’d want in a player.

After his distinguished playing career, Randolph moved into the Yankee front office. Then Randolph moved down to the field where he was a third-base coach and bench coach through 2004, part of four World Series title teams and six AL Pennants.

14 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

We have a lot in common.  I lived in Encinitas before college and eventually bought a house in Vista after college (after living in Carlsbad for years).

And your name is Redondo. . .

I worked at the corner of Vista Del Mar and S. Catalina Ave in Redondo for some time.

Lived in Redondo when I was young

Still have family there

Been going to the Encinitas/Carlbad/Leucadia/Solana/Oceanside areas since the late 60's

I went back to all those cities this summer and checked out a lot of the places I used to go to the beach, places I lived and places I ate at

The roads in Encinitas are so big and full of traffic now.

I still remember Paul Ecke's flower farm which is all built up with commercial centers and houses with Leucadia Blvd going through to the Fwy from Camino Real

Beautiful place, but too crowded now