• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Does this deal’s combination of risk and upside for Syndergaard steer you toward or away from any other particular starter?

Do you now target more stability with Stroman or throw your balls up on the table pursuing possible dominance with Scherzer?

Still needed.

Closer

Bullpen arms

Back up catcher

Shortstop

I think those are the bulk of the remaining budget. 

8 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Unless there’s no budget this year I just can’t see how using 21 mill of roughly 50 mill to spend on a complete wild card is a good use of funds 

And yet you would be on board for pair like Verlander who is 10 years older coming off of elbow surgery or Scherzer that couldn't lift his elbow in the elimination series? Both of those guys are going to be getting $30+ and are high risk. 

14 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Unless there’s no budget this year I just can’t see how using 21 mill of roughly 50 mill to spend on a complete wild card is a good use of funds 

From the Canadians that really know how to allocate resources efficiently.

With the Thor Signing, that leaves us with roughly 30ish mil in payroll. With a Rotation of;

Othani

Thor

Sandy

barria

Suarez

And still inneed of a Closer. and alteast 1 late inning arm. Backuo C and SS I beleive we'll go the cheap route. 

So, 30ish mil to add a Closer, another Bp arm and maybe another starter. 

21 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Big arms on short terms could mean Scherzer. Doubt the Angels want to sign 2 arms coming off major injury. 

Safer route might be Stroman. 

Gotta say, Stroman seems to be a fantastic teammate as well as a dependable, just shy of ace material arm.  If the clubhouse vibe narrative is still as strong as it seemed to be, he is definitely an asset.  5-7 years though.  Oof.

3 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

Gotta say, Stroman seems to be a fantastic teammate as well as a dependable, just shy of ace material arm.  If the clubhouse vibe narrative is still as strong as it seemed to be, he is definitely an asset.  5-7 years though.  Oof.

Anything over 5 gets iffy for me. I'd take Scherzer high AAV. Let Scherzer run the rotation. The Angels need someone like that. 

2 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

So if Thor is getting $21M I can't Imagine the Angels being done. Ohtani/Thor make a solid 2/3 pairing. 

Are they spending more this offseason? Or will a trade come next? 

To me, they still need that true Ace. 

I'm hoping that they are willing to go over this year. On a one year deal it means $50M is coming off the books between Syndergaard and Upton next year. They are going to need more than the $30M or so left to get another starter and still fill all their other needs.

FWIW, Desclafani was also Blue Jays property back when Minasian was there, just like Syndergaard and Stroman.

Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if Arte went all out and landed Scherzer or Verlander, tried to keep Iglesias, and went with a high-dollar, short-term, star-powered, vet-focused approach to win the next two or three years. Hike up payroll, make a huge splash, risk it all.

Edited by totdprods

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/angels-offseason-wish-list-what-else-team-needs-around-shohei-ohtani-and-mike-trout-after-syndergaard-splash/

Angels offseason wish list: What else team needs around Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout after Syndergaard splash

An ace, a shortstop, the return of their closer... and an Ohtani extension? 
By Matt Snyder

As the 2021-22 MLB offseason unfolds, we'll be running through wish lists for teams that are active on the hot stove. Right on the heels of a big signing, let's check out the Los Angeles Angels

Pitching, pitching, pitching

The Angels have made little secret that they are after pitching this offseason. They could spend a lot, too. 

They've already gotten started, signing Noah Syndergaard to a one-year, $21 million deal on Tuesday in the biggest move of the offseason so far.

We know the Angels have the financial capability to spend as much as anyone. They've outspent for big names before, from Albert Pujols to Josh Hamilton to the recent Anthony Rendon signing. They do have plenty of money on the books, but there's room to add. Right now the estimated payroll for 2022 including arbitration raises, the Thor deal and everything else is $148.1 million, per Baseball-Reference. If owner Arte Moreno is motivated to keep throwing money at this thing, they could easily top $200 million, which means they absolutely have the wherewithal to shop on the top shelf. 

That means if the Angels so desire, they can look at the likes of Robbie Ray, Max Scherzer, Kevin Gausman, Justin Verlander, Marcus Stroman etc.

In light of the Syndergaard deal, would they still do this? It's possible. Heading into the offseason, we knew they needed at least two starters and it felt like they needed a proven ace along with a depth piece. 

Let's say they end up with something like Shohei Ohtani, Gausman, Syndergaard, Patrick Sandovaland José Suarez as a season-opening rotation. With Jaime Barria, Griffin Canning and Reid Detmers providing depth, this would then be a group in fairly good shape, especially since they want to use a six-man rotation in order to protect Ohtani. 

There's also the trade route. The Angels actually have the outfield depth to trade someone from the Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh and/or Jordyn Adams group. Perhaps if they lose out on the ace tier in free agency, this is the route. 

Regardless of how they get there, the Angels need to add at least two starters to the rotation this offseason. Syndergaard doesn't totally solve the problem. They need to do more…

2 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Remember, Matt Vasgersian reported that Mike Trout had been recruiting Max Scherzer. I know they just gave 21M to someone else, but I don't think the Angels would let Trout do that and then never pursue it. 

I'd have to imagine there is still a chance that happens since Trout was involved. 

It's not about Ohtani or Trout it's about team halos