• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Adell: Keep or Trade

Torridd

Adell: Keep or trade?   

42 members have voted

1. 1. With all this talk of trading Adell, I just want it on the record for all posters. I think we should keep him.

I'll second (or tenth) what Second Base said. It depends upon what the return is. It pretty much has to be either a good younger starter or an equivalent pitching prospect (I'd also take Adley Rutschman, and throw in another solid prospect to sweeten the deal). But what that means ("a good younger starter" etc) varies on the person. 

The bottom line is that I wouldn't trade him for less than a 55 FV, maybe 60 FV prospect, or a younger starter with control and who is something more than a #3. Berrios is debatable, and I think represents a kind of "over/under" point. 

Unfortunately Adell's  first performance with the Angels was so terrible that it really makes it hard to still see his expected potential ever fully realized. Even though he was raw, and it was a small window, his weakness in basic  fundamentals was staggering. 

Against savvy major league pitchers he was helpless. In the outfield he was lost. To his credit he persevered and has proven to be a solid power hitting minor leaguer. Maybe his struggles have motivated him. But he still require quite a learning curve at the major league level. 

With all the initial hype I'm not sure how patient fans will be. But his trade value probably doesn't bring back high enough quality to give up on him.

If he shows  the perseverance and fortitude to hang in there and fight to earn another chance then maybe he's worth keeping and hoping for an eventual breakthrough 

1 minute ago, Duren, Duren said:

Unfortunately Adell's  first performance with the Angels was so terrible that it really makes it hard to still see his expected potential ever fully realized. Even though he was raw, and it was a small window, his weakness in basic  fundamentals was staggering. 

Against savvy major league pitchers he was helpless. In the outfield he was lost. To his credit he persevered and has proven to be a solid power hitting minor leaguer. Maybe his struggles have motivated him. But he still require quite a learning curve at the major league level. 

With all the initial hype I'm not sure how patient fans will be. But his trade value probably doesn't bring back high enough quality to give up on him.

If he shows  the perseverance and fortitude to hang in there and fight to earn another chance then maybe he's worth keeping and hoping for an eventual breakthrough 

Right. Because he was a guy who did well in AA but hadn't yet done well in AAA. Meaning, if things had been normal last year, he would have been in AAA, probably having the year he's having now, and we wouldn't be all that concerned, probably just thinking he still has some things to work on, but he still looks like a really good prospect. 

The Angels made a mistake calling him up last year. He wasn't ready - it really is that simple. This doesn't mean that there aren't valid concerns about him, just that they are overblown because of the call-up that shouldn't have happened.

At this point, I think the most reasonable approach is just to recalibrate expectations - expectations that we should never have had. He isn't--and never was--Tatis or Acuna, let alone Trout. He's still a very good prospect. But we were acting like he was a 70-75 FV prospect and now he's a bust, when in actuality he's always been a 60 FV guy. At most he's dropped from 65 to 60, or maybe 60 to 55 if you're more bearish. People talk like he dropped from 75 to 45.

It’s tough to say. We’ve been burned too many times trading prospects, but Adell has struggled in the bigs, so his value is kinda low at this point to even consider a trade. I say give him another shot and call him up. I’d rather see him in the lineup than Eaton.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

We have a ton of these exact same threads.  It comes down to what you can get for him.  Every one of these threads is going to turn out the same.  You trade him for TOR arm or possibly a young very good catcher. You don’t trade him to fix the actual greatest weakness which is bullpen.  You trade him for very difficult to acquire pieces.

My short list for Adell. And yes, all these names might be a stretch:
Joey Bart (C)
Casey Mize (SP)
McKenize Gore (SP)
Nate Pearson (SP)
Matt Manning (SP)

50 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

My short list for Adell. And yes, all these names might be a stretch:
Joey Bart (C)
Casey Mize (SP)
McKenize Gore (SP)
Nate Pearson (SP)
Matt Manning (SP)

Bart - an interesting idea, although I think Adell has more upside, but Bart fills a need better. Still, I'd want a second prospect along with Bar.

Mize - no way the Tigers trade their young stud. Maybe for Adell and C-Rod.

Gore - he's the guy that I always think of and might be do-able, but his stock has fallen due to injury.

Pearson/Manning - seems about right.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Bart - an interesting idea, although I think Adell has more upside, but Bart fills a need better. Still, I'd want a second prospect along with Bar.

Mize - no way the Tigers trade their young stud. Maybe for Adell and C-Rod.

Gore - he's the guy that I always think of and might be do-able, but his stock has fallen due to injury.

Pearson/Manning - seems about right.

My initial thought for Bart (yes i went off the MLB trade values so take it with salt) was:
Angels trade Canning, Heaney, Jackson for Bart and Pomares. 
Giants need lefty starting help for the playoffs and can use a young controllable arm. They lacked a bit in infield prospects as well.

But either way, I'd entertain a trade involving Bart and Pomares for Adell and someone else. 

42 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Bart - an interesting idea, although I think Adell has more upside, but Bart fills a need better. 

I made a thread about this circa winter 2019. Asking if people here would be willing to move adell for a lesser prospect but at C (funny enough) because of the greater need, and I got destroyed.

Personally I would. If C and SS are our biggest weak spots going forward, roll the dice w Trout and Marsh, and hopefully Adams going forward.