• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Race to oblivion ! Afghanistan vs. South Vietnam edition

Collapse !  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which pathetic puppet entity will collapse faster !?

• Afghanistan
    • South Vietnam (fell approximately 2 years after withdrawal of US forces)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lhalo said:

image.jpeg

This happened under Biden and some of his actions he has to take responsibility for. Something I couldn't stand about Trump.

At the end of the day, I still hold the Afghan government and military responsible. Them folding so easily (for whatever reason) made this so much more chaotic. 

I've been thinking about this but I don't have enough knowledge on. Would doing the withdraw through Bagram made things at better? We know the airport was swarmed with at least a 100k people. And with so little troops (I know Trump got it down to 2,500 but have no idea if more were added over the last few months by Biden except towards the end) would it have made much of an impact? How many troops at Bagram would be needed to make things less chaotic? I'm glad Trump and Biden reduced troop levels but it obviously had a huge impact. Interested to see the thoughts of @ten ocho recon scout

One way Biden could redeem himself (just a little), get the money back from the Afghan president and give it as compensation to the families of the 13 soldiers who died last week.

Either way, we're out and I hope we stay out. 

Just now, Kevin said:

At the end of the day, I still hold the Afghan government and military responsible. Them folding so easily (for whatever reason) made this so much more chaotic. 

The estimates of 300k was deemed to be BS. The much more realistic estimates were an effective force of around 50k. It's our government and military's fault for believing such a farce. It's not possible to fight the Taliban with Afghan soldiers who don't believe in the U.S. backed government.

As deputy Secretary of State under former President George W. Bush when the United States invaded in 2001, he was deeply involved in Afghanistan diplomacy. He said the Afghan army's collapse pointed to the wider failures of two decades of international efforts.

"I hear people expressing frustration in the press that the Afghan army can't fight a long fight," he said. "I can assure you the Afghan army has fought, can fight and if it's got a trigger and something comes out of the barrel, they can use it."

"The question is, is this government worth fighting for?" he said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/taliban-surge-exposes-failure-us-efforts-build-afghan-army-2021-08-15/

17 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

The estimates of 300k was deemed to be BS. The much more realistic estimates were an effective force of around 50k. It's our government and military's fault for believing such a farce. It's not possible to fight the Taliban with Afghan soldiers who don't believe in the U.S. backed government.

As deputy Secretary of State under former President George W. Bush when the United States invaded in 2001, he was deeply involved in Afghanistan diplomacy. He said the Afghan army's collapse pointed to the wider failures of two decades of international efforts.

"I hear people expressing frustration in the press that the Afghan army can't fight a long fight," he said. "I can assure you the Afghan army has fought, can fight and if it's got a trigger and something comes out of the barrel, they can use it."

"The question is, is this government worth fighting for?" he said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/taliban-surge-exposes-failure-us-efforts-build-afghan-army-2021-08-15/

Another part of this is that to the extent they were trained, they were trained to fight with close air support.  This is also how our troops operate. Once the close air support that we provided was withdrawn it significantly diminished their ability to operate.  Conversely the Taliban and other fighters like them have a decent ability to fight without air support.  The guys on the ground knew that.  So for that reason and many others they just didn’t.  It’s pretty complex thing.  There’s a lot of components to this.  There’s no simple explanation. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Just now, cals said:

So they were just trained to go in and pick up Taliban body parts after the air strike? Or they were only trained to be the kid that kicks you in the face when another kid has already knocked you down?

Locate and suppress target call in air support to nuke.  Oversimplified but that’s the basic idea. 

Also, the 300K thing.  If you say you’ve got 300K guys to equip its a lot more money for shit then if you say there’s 50K guys.  It’s all just grift.  And look, it’s not like we were really looking into this.  A lot of that money flowed right back the US.  This is why I say it was gigantic money laundering scheme.