• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Tigers @ Angels (6/18/2021): Rengifo in for Fletcher at 2B, still no Rendon

If you think about it, C-Rod needs to pitch often. If he starts in the minors it's once every 5 games. If he replaces someone on the Angels staff it's once every 6 games. 

But long relief he can cycle back into a game situation in three days. More times on the mound facing more opponents, more batters, more situations. Really more experience than waiting his turn on the bench spitting sunflower seeds.

16 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Chuck Finley spent his first two seasons as a relief pitcher and carved out 3 spot starts his second season. They used him for long relief, like they have been using C-Rod. 

Fin was a college starter that was actually used as a multi inning guy.  His second season he threw 90 innings in 35 appearances.  Maddon has been using CRod as a SIRP since he's been back.

Maybe more importantly Finley's signature pitch was a forkball, which he actually threw.   Rodriguez's best pitch is his change, which he is never throwing.   

There is no development going on.  Just a guy getting people out because "stuff".  I'd stfu if they actually did use him in a multi inning role.  I'd still want him starting somewhere and learning how to pitch using all his pitches but I'd at least stfu.

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If you think about it, C-Rod needs to pitch often. If he starts in the minors it's once every 5 games. If he replaces someone on the Angels staff it's once every 6 games. 

But long relief he can cycle back into a game situation in three days. More times on the mound facing more opponents, more batters, more situations. Really more experience than waiting his turn on the bench spitting sunflower seeds.

Extended bullpen work didn't hurt Chuck Finley once upon a time.

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

Any Clippers fans here?

They were down by 25 in the 3rd quarter and win by 12. Headed to the Western Conference finals for the first time.

Nice. I don’t like the Clips since I’ve always been a Lakers fan—but I can’t stand Lebron. Kinda glad to see them make it this far

Edited by gaylos

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Fin was a college starter that was actually used as a multi inning guy.  His second season he threw 90 innings in 35 appearances.  Maddon has been using CRod as a SIRP since he's been back.

Maybe more importantly Finley's signature pitch was a forkball, which he actually threw.   Rodriguez's best pitch is his change, which he is never throwing.   

There is no development going on.  Just a guy getting people out because "stuff".  I'd stfu if they actually did use him in a multi inning role.

12 appearences and 19.1 innings pitched. In todays game that, sadly, is long relief. But he is getting the mound time in the majors and not at the Salt Lake launching pad that I don't think will be a teachable moment. Also, his innings need to ramp up because his lack of playing time so moving him to AAA to toss 5 innings may not be the best plan. 

As for pitch selection, that should be addressed. Right now he is pretty one demensional but then his limited arsenal is doing the job, for the most part. On the MLB level they seem reluctant to play outside the numbers they know. Which is why I call in game data decisions MLB Helicopter Mom Syndrome. Too many knne pads, elbow pads and helmets before little Johnny can go out and play, in the back yard, in the sandbox, where it is safe.

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

More often?  Is that what you see happening?  BC I'm seeing him being used for one inning ever four days.... That's not a lot of "often" IMO.

I'd sooner argue that with teams seemingly moving away from 7+ innings from their starters and given the team will still be employing Ohtani at least two more years getting him accustomed to pitching every 6 day makes more sense.

Ultimately I want to see him DEVELOP, not get by on pure stuff.  That's not going g to happen the way he's currently being used.

Damn, the ruined never gonna be a two way player did it again!