• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jose Quintana could end up being a really nice pickup.

tdawg87

He's looked very impressive this spring, and while I don't put much stock in that, it's good to see.

He's only a few years removed from a 105 ERA+/3.68 FIP season, and his numbers aren't trending in the wrong direction. For example: his K rate has been consistently above 8.0 since 2017, which is above his career average.

And don't forget, this is a guy who had made at least 31 starts and 170+ innings every year since 2013, before 2020 of course. 

His velocity has seen a slight decrease over the last few years, but it's nothing to be concerned about on a 1-year deal.

I'm not expecting White Sox Quintana, but something like his 2017 season isn't out of the question.

25 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He's looked very impressive this spring, and while I don't put much stock in that, it's good to see.

He's only a few years removed from a 105 ERA+/3.68 FIP season, and his numbers aren't trending in the wrong direction. For example: his K rate has been consistently above 8.0 since 2017, which is above his career average.

And don't forget, this is a guy who had made at least 31 starts and 170+ innings every year since 2013, before 2020 of course. 

His velocity has seen a slight decrease over the last few years, but it's nothing to be concerned about on a 1-year deal.

I'm not expecting White Sox Quintana, but something like his 2017 season isn't out of the question.

This is very encouraging as well

7 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

This is very encouraging as well

Definitely good to see. His career average is right at 92.0. 

LHP who throw strikes and can hit 92+ on the radar generally have quite a bit of value. 

He's only 32. He probably wants to pitch for a multi-year deal in 2022, so we could see good things from him.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I always felt like Eppler had the right idea, targeting 1 year type moves for SPs, but his execution was poor.

If Minasian can "hit" on his one-year gambles, this will be a much better team.

Cobb has also looked surprisingly good.  We might actually have a pretty decent rotation.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

So bizzare seeing two different Fletcher avatars posted by Fletcher, quoting Fletcher. 

Jeff Fletcher is posting a post with a Jeff Fletcher avatar, quoting a Jeff Fletcher tweet about something Jeff Fletcher heard from a scout who was speaking to Jeff Fletcher. 

Wrap your mind around that.

I think Quintana and Cobb will both be better than expected acquisitions for the Angels, and Ohtani will be better than expected in his return to the mound.

You can read on MLBTR, most non-Angels fans are expecting Quintana and Cobb to suck and Ohtani to be hurt. Much of the baseball world will be shocked when both Quintana and Cobb perform as solid #3/4 starters and Ohtani like an ace.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

I think Quintana and Cobb will both be better than expected acquisitions for the Angels, and Ohtani will be better than expected in his return to the mound.

You can read on MLBTR, most non-Angels fans are expecting Quintana and Cobb to suck and Ohtani to be hurt. Much of the baseball world will be shocked when both Quintana and Cobb perform as solid #3/4 starters and Ohtani like an ace.

I know it's just spring training yada yada, but I've been fairly impressed with all aspects so far. Need to rein in my optimism I think! 

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

With our offense as good as it is, and what should be a fairly solid defense on the whole (especially if we sub Lagares in the late innings to replace Upton), we just need our SP to be above average, not elite.  I think as Minasian was building this team, he was likely looking ot accomplish just that, given his budget limitations - find guys who were undervalued and could perform better than expected, and be good enough to give us 6 serviceable rotation arms at the minimum.

Quintana and Cobb have both looked better than expected in the early going.  If Bundy, Heaney, and Canning can pitch like they did last year, and Ohtani continues to flash the same form he's shown already, then I don't see why this team can't contend with the Astros and A's for the division title.

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

Most fans, and we have a lot of them as well, assume a pitcher with a 4 ERA sucks.  Most fans put players into 2 categories, “good” and “sucks”, so there is no room for average.  Most years Heaney is right around average, Quintana is somewhere between average and good.  Canning was a little above average last year.  Bundy was good.  

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Most fans, and we have a lot of them as well, assume a pitcher with a 4 ERA sucks.  Most fans put players into 2 categories, “good” and “sucks”, so there is no room for average.  Most years Heaney is right around average, Quintana is somewhere between average and good.  Canning was a little above average last year.  Bundy was good.  

Average team ERA for starting pitchers is generally between 4.3-4.5, at least in more recent years.

If the SP ERA is around 4.0 this year, we're in pretty good shape. I think that's very much obtainable for these guys. 

Even if it's 4.5, that's a full run better than 2020.

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Average team ERA for starting pitchers is generally between 4.3-4.5, at least in more recent years.

If the SP ERA is around 4.0 this year, we're in pretty good shape. I think that's very much obtainable for these guys. 

Yep.  

44 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Agreed. It’s really a matter of eliminating the terrible starts from guys like Suarez, Peters, etc. If we can get 4.00 ERA production from the top six guys, while throwing a lot of innings, the pitching staff will be drastically improved. 

21 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I was the biggest proponent on here for signing Quintana. I just wish it had been a multi year deal rather than a one year deal. 

A lot of us were optimistic on him.  Last year was a fluke year in terms of his injury, but in all other years, he's been incredibly durable and effective.  Not a high-end ceiling, but someone who is likely at worst a very solid #4, and probably more of a #3.  At 1/8, that's an incredible steal.