• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2013 US Open Thread

And it's 42 years ago this weekend that Nicklaus and Trevino had thir famous playoff at Marion, and amateur Jim Simons led after 54 holes. 

In fact, Simons was just one shot out of the lead going to the 72nd hole, when he double-bogeyed it.

Tragically, Simons passed away 8 years ago at age 55.

One LOL moment took place on the first tee for the 18 hole playoff.

Trevino took a rubber snake out of his golf bag and tossed it at Nicklaus, to loosen things up.

Look what my wife found:

"Devil Ball put a call into the USGA on Monday morning asking if the traditional wicker baskets would be in play and it was confirmed they would.

Why wicker baskets instead of traditional flags? Let the Merion Golf Club website explain it ...

"The wicker baskets' origin is a mystery to this day. There was a great deal written in 1912, and for three years thereafter, locally and nationally about this new course in Philadelphia. However, there was no mention of the soon-to-be famous wicker baskets. It could be assumed they were not there. By the summer of 1915, William Flynn, Merion's Superintendent, received patent approval for his wicker basket design. Merion had baskets that fall and from then-to-today. It could be assumed, due to lack of written proof, that Flynn convinced Wilson to use the baskets, and Merion received its "basket notoriety" the next year during the 1916 U.S. Amateur."

So, yeah, no concrete proof of why they are used, but it's a cool tradition that I'm glad the USGA is sticking with for the '13 U.S. Open."

Apparently the winner receives one of the wicker baskets as a memento.

I hope lefty hangs on to win. Sunday is Father's Day and his bday. That'd be kinda cool for him.

I hope Lefty does it also.  In addition to Father's Day and Bday, his history with Payne.  

But if lefty doesn't win, I hope Mahan does.  Would be cool to see another golf boy win it.  And a Fowler/Mahan tie would be gnar.

I hate to keep posting about my friend, but he played with Bubba and Adam Scott today. He said both guys were extremely nice.

He also said that Stevie was very nice to him all day. That was a surprise to me because I thought Stevie was a total a hole from everything that I've heard. He's actually playing with Scott again tomorrow.

As for the tournament I'm definitely pulling for Stricker. He seems like the nicest guy and every time he wins he shows it. It would be a great story.