• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon: How do you rate him in his first year as manager?

Chuck

Joe Maddon: How do you rate him in his first year as manager?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Joe Maddon's first year as manager

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Incomplete (Half season)

D+ 69/100

Negatives: Very odd lineup decisions, too many rhh in a row, clumping hitters together.  Pulling pitchers doing well, things that make no sense.  

Positives: He has a way with young talent, he likes players that have something to prove, good clubhouse manager and communication ability.  

His score is indicative of his team's record, weighted with the bad luck and other factors.

I think he deserves a D- or F+, so I have him an F. I know that people on here are giving him a pass on the weird season. I’m gonna post some articles here from cubs fans about why they were frustrated. Read them and I think it’ll feel very familiar. i don’t think this is an aberration. 

the process

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/09/12/joe-maddon-continuing-same-process-as-cubs-mediocrity-continues/

The pitching

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/07/30/maddon-bristles-at-criticism-from-fans-with-really-ridiculous-concept-of-bullpens-and-bullpen-management/

There are more of these out there. Chuck can testify I was not pro this hiring. He is no better than Ausmus (I know that’s sacrilege on here but whatever). There are other articles about lineups and strange decisions about who should play over whom. I know we all would like to hope next year will be different but I don’t think Maddon is changing his stripes, hence an F.

How many games is the Manager really responsible for regarding wins and losses? While I have to question the constant need to change the lineup, the bottom line is this team lacks playable depth ( a constant in the Eppler era) both in pitching and the field. While Maddon hasn’t shown me anything that is unique he doesn’t have much to work with. The pitching is incredibly weak. Canning has been very inconsistent , as have Middleton. Bedrosian has missed most of the games. Sandoval isn’t ready and Suarez never will be. The rest of the staff were acquired by trade or as cheap options off the scrapheap. Bundy has been excellent but the rest of the cheap options have performed like one would expect. The value is in drafting and developing your own pitching and occasionally signing free agents to supplement your staff. It is ridiculous that the organization has no pitching above AA. 
Hopefully, the next GM is better at building a solid organization. ( Don’t let Arte get involved in Baseball decisions).