• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels option Luis Rengifo and Patrick Sandoval to alternate training site; call up Jose Quijada and Jared Walsh

rafibomb

9 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Also, in before someone says we should have traded him for Pederson/Stripling. 

But the Dodgers changed the pieces to the trade...no wait, Arte said we really didn’t want a back end of the rotation guy like Stripling, we wanted a front end guy....either way, sure glad we kept Rengifo....

10 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

What a disappointed Rengifo was. 

I had high hopes for him. 

He's 23...his rookie season last year was fairly decent all things considered. 
Look at how similar the lines are for these three players...

• Rengifo: .228/.316/.348/.664 , OPS + of 84 over 466 PA, with 19 doubles, 3 triples, 8 HR, 49 BB, 106 K - through age 23.
  • Aybar: .262/.298/.348/.646, OPS+ of 70 over 626 PA, with 24 doubles, 7 triples, 4 HR, 24 BB, 85 K - and this is actually including his first three seasons, age 22, 23, and 24.
  • Mystery: .239/.298/.346/.644, OPS+ of 76 over 635 PA, with 24 doubles, 6 triples, 8 HR, 47 BB, 76 K through age 22.

Aybar's age 24 season is when he started looking like a major leaguer. OPSed .699 and that's when he hit 26 of his first 35 career XBH.
The glaring difference, offensively, is Aybar's batting average and far less strikeouts, but both of those have changed quite a bit across baseball since Aybar debuted in 2006. 

The mystery player? Cleveland's Jose Ramirez, who broke out his age 23 season hitting .312 with 46 doubles. Yes, a year older but also with more MLB experience under his belt already.

Personally, I'm starting to hope the Angels deal La Stella and/or Simmons, and Rengifo or Fletcher get everyday reps at SS to wrap the year up. If one of them looks like they can hold down SS in '21, it saves us a ton of money to pursue pitching.

There is always so much chatter here about how good the Dodgers FO is at finding talent and pulling off great trades...why do you think they were reportedly interested in moving Peterson, Stripling, and Andy Pages, ranked mid of their Top 30, for a package headlined by Rengifo? There’s something to like there and they saw it. 

Edited by totdprods

53 minutes ago, totdprods said:

...There is always so much chatter here about how good the Dodgers FO is at finding talent and pulling off great trades...why do you think they were reportedly interested in moving Peterson, Stripling, and Andy Pages, ranked mid of their Top 30, for a package headlined by Rengifo? There’s something to like there and they saw it. 

I think Rengifo has some potential and if the Dodgers evaluated him well, good for them....Then and now, I thought Stripling was a good fit for us and worth Rengifo....Stripling clearly isn't a front end of the rotation guy but the "front end" of the rotation guys just aren't readily available....if we had signed Cole at a huge cost, how much better would we be right now?  You'd have your front end guy and we'd have a few more wins but you wouldn't have Rendon....Once we lost out on Cole, I thought an ok guy like Stripling made some sense....fixing the starting pitching isn't going to be easy.....for now, evaluate well and plug in guys like Stripling and Bundy and draft better....it's a tough task.....

For me the intrigue for Rengifo is he could do a lot of little things, he can run a little, hit some doubles, he draws a walk, he can play a few positions.  I gravitate to younger guys that have a big gap between batting average and OBP.  Which is why I was skeptical of Fletcher because his walk rate in the minors was never above 5%, then his rookie year it was around 5%.  It just usually isn't a skill that improves much in singles hitters like Fletcher, but it has.  With Rengifo there was an 80 point difference between average and OBP so in my mind if he becomes a .270 hitter he is a .350 obp guy and there is value in that.  I also figured he could be a middle infielder with a .750 OPS which isn't too bad.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

For me the intrigue for Rengifo is he could do a lot of little things, he can run a little, hit some doubles, he draws a walk, he can play a few positions.  I gravitate to younger guys that have a big gap between batting average and OBP.  Which is why I was skeptical of Fletcher because his walk rate in the minors was never above 5%, then his rookie year it was around 5%.  It just usually isn't a skill that improves much in singles hitters like Fletcher, but it has.  With Rengifo there was an 80 point difference between average and OBP so in my mind if he becomes a .270 hitter he is a .350 obp guy and there is value in that.  I also figured he could be a middle infielder with a .750 OPS which isn't too bad.  

Same here, all we need is for him to have one tool develop into above-average. Contact, power, defense, OBP, base stealing, versatile at 5 positions...if he can excel at one of those things even if everything else just stays okay, he becomes a pretty good player. He’s young enough for one of those to come through still.

I think there’s a chance he has a lot of power he could still tap into...he’s just awfully young still and that develops last. I think that may be what the Dodgers and Indians saw as well when showing interest. He could turn into a sneaky 20-25 HR guy in a couple seasons. 

I’ve been a huge believer in Fletcher since he was in A+, but thought he didn’t have the BB rate or power to be anything more than a good Giavotella. Lots of singles and better defense and baserunning. What I missed was how exceptional his contact skills were and how hard his contact was. Couple that with what seems to be a new ability to take a walk, and he could really become something big. I’m starting to get Jose Altuve vibes from him. He could have a .330, 25 HR season or three in him.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He was never high on my radar, but everyone kept telling me just wait he'll be a keeper. I was so disappointed when his trade fell through.

Would you have traded 5 years of  Rengifo for two years of Heaney and one year of the Angels version of Matt Joyce? 

20 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I'll let you know in 4 years, but if Joyce could match his 2019 season I'd do it.

I'll take that as a no.  Joyce was here for one year and was awful.  He was to us what Joc has been to the Dodgers this year.  Joc is a free agent after this year.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I'll take that as a no.  Joyce was here for one year and was awful.  He was to us what Joc has been to the Dodgers this year.  Joc is a free agent after this year.  

Pederson was a salary dump....we had no real need for him....

13 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

What a disappointed Rengifo was. 

I had high hopes for him. 

Rengifo is not the problem.  Middle infielders should have solid defensive skills and avg offense. These are generally not the players a team depends on as major offensive contributors. Their contributions are in run prevention. Upton and Pujols are major problems.  You should be disappointed in them.

6 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Could be....or he could be better if given more opportunities that he isn't getting with the Dodgers....

He (Stripling) gets to enjoy being in a very dark shadow in that rotation, for talk sh** now nobody wants him, at least the Angels fans know his true form.

24 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

Stripling is getting the the ball every 5th or 6th day. Six starts - 3 good, 3 bad.

His season is comparable to Heaney and Canning.

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep. 

I guess my thought is/was that our starting pitching is such a mess that anybody who can eat up some innings and isn't terribly expensive in money or prospects is a good add, at least for now and the foreseeable future....and I didn't/don't think Rengifo was a prohibitive cost to get that type of pitcher....Rengifo can certainly prove me wrong, thought he didn't do much with his chances this year....Stripling has better numbers than Heaney career wise and Canning is still too young and unproven to assume too much yet (and a big health question).  Ask me again in 2/3 years and we'll sort it out...Right now, I would still have made the trade....