• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

HaloLife's All-Decade Clubs

In celebration of 60 years of franchise existence this year, I'll be posting all-decade rosters weekly at PrimeTimeSportsTalk until (hopefully) MLB baseball resumes.  I've taken some time putting these lists together and understand they are very subjective lists.  Many great Angels left off these rosters and I'm certainly interested in communities thoughts.

All-1960's Roster

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2020/05/16/angels-all-decade-team-1960s-edition/

All-1970's Roster:

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2020/05/23/angels-all-decade-team-1970s-edition/

Definitely concur with the 1960s list.    McBride and Rojas could have been long timers here, if not for McBride's arm troubles and Rojas' auto accident that left him paralyzed.  

Bob Lee was the first rock solid reliever in franchise history.

Chance actually did a bit of relief pitching early in the 1964 season, and then eventually had to this day the most dominant pitching season in franchise history.   Didn't he hold the Yankees to something like 2 runs total in 5 starts in 1964?  

Edited by Angel Oracle

17 hours ago, B.J. Martin said:

Appreciate all the feedback.  Love this team and fun to look back at the past 60 years.  Hope to have eighties team published in a couple days.

Please include Devon White in the 80s. Regardless of whatever the stats say.

And Gary Pettis if possible. 

Even if its a simple sentence like "devon white and gary pettis were really fast, just not that good". That way I can make a comment like "i loved devon white and gary pettis, they were super fast"

This is great. Looking forward to the 80's and 90's rosters @B.J. Martin

I became a fan in 1979 during the Angels first playoff run and as a nine year old I put together a scrapbook of news clippings. 

Wish I still had that. 

But man, the 80's were pretty special for me as it was my first decade as a fan. I think I listened to nearly every game on the radio and watched almost every game as well during that time. 

The 90's were great because all of our top prospects came upon the scene, which led to the success of the 2002 World Series Championship. 

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Even if its a simple sentence like "devon white and gary pettis were really fast, just not that good". That way I can make a comment like "i loved devon white and gary pettis, they were super fast"

White was pretty good looking at his stats. Some power and good speed and plus defense. Not much OBP though. 

Pettis, Fast and good defense. WAR likes him. 

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And make reference to Pettis coming within an eyelash of winning the 1986 ALCS in the 10th inning of game 5.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 2:49 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Another remarkable story from 1964:

OF Willie Smith in his first full MLB season hit .301 with a solid .782 OPS, but wait there’s more!

He pitched 31 innings that season, with a 2.84 ERA.

Great performance by Smith in '64. The challenge with these lists is the omissions.  Rudy May, for example, will likely make my Top 60 Angels all-time list I'll start sharing in next few weeks but the way his career spanned the 60's-70's and his mixed role as starter/reliever, he wasn't on either all-decade team.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:04 PM, Angel Oracle said:

And make reference to Pettis coming within an eyelash of winning the 1986 ALCS in the 10th inning of game 5.

I hope you'll be pleased with White's inclusion as right fielder but I selected Fred Lynn at CF position.  Pettis and his incredible defensive ability, was great baserunner and was difficult omission but I went with Lynn's four seasons at the position on the all-decade club. 

On 5/27/2020 at 2:49 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Another remarkable story from 1964:

OF Willie Smith in his first full MLB season hit .301 with a solid .782 OPS, but wait there’s more!

He pitched 31 innings that season, with a 2.84 ERA.

I remember reading about Smith when Ohtani was pitching. Was there a reason he never pitched again? 

On 6/7/2020 at 7:58 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Good stuff @B.J. Martin

I wonder if each decade played each other in a tournament which decade squad would come out on top? 

Working on 2000's team right now and I feel they would have to be favorites but I think 1980's and 1990's could give them solid competitor. 2000's had the better overal pitching that the other decades.

1 hour ago, B.J. Martin said:

Working on 2000's team right now and I feel they would have to be favorites but I think 1980's and 1990's could give them solid competitor. 2000's had the better overal pitching that the other decades.

Poor Mike Trout. Even his decade loses out in the playoffs. 🙃