• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you have preferred we went full rebuild once Eppler was hired?

mmc

17 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

It's also why they appeared to be competitive going into 2016.  Even if Weaver continued his decline (which he did), GRich was a top of the line starter, Santiago at least appeared to be a solid mid-rotation innings eater, Heaney looked impressive, Shoemaker had some good numbers prior and could at least be counted on to be a back of the rotation starter, and Tropeano looked solid in 7 starts (3.93 ERA 100 ERA+).  There appeared to be dependable talent and depth and then:

Heaney was disabled after 1 start

Richards goes down to an elbow injury on May 6th

Tropeano season ended July 18th

Skaggs didn't return until late July

Shoemaker was nailed in head with a line drive in Sept

At one stretch, our starters were Ricky Nolasco, Tim Lincecum, Jhoulys Chacin, a depleted Jered Weaver, and a returning Tyler Skaggs.

I think it's important to note how we were competitive until the injuries.

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

Except they had no offense outside of Trout

They still won 85 games with that offense...which included Calhoun, Freese, Pujols, and Cron at 100 OPS+ or above.  

With Eppler's tweaks before 2016, the offense added 50+ more runs...yet they only won 74 games.  The pitching was the difference.

1 hour ago, mymerlincat said:

Smart FA signings?  All of Eppler’s free agent signings have been garbage.

1 hour ago, mymerlincat said:

He’s the only good one, but I’m talking MLB free agents

Sure, Eppler made some short term FA signings that didnt' work out.  But most of them had a chance to be a good move.   Hindsight is 20/20.    And are any of those busts still on our payroll?

Rendon?  Ohtani?  Tehran, Bundy, and Castro at fairly low risk?     

Man, I need a mellow ST game right now.   Just got back from Costco and the warehouse was filled with panicked shoppers.   Some of their brains just weren't working anymore.   It was funny at times, but I don't know if I'd like to work there on a day like today.   Got home...washed my hands six times....and now it's time to get into summer mode listening to Terry and Jose.

8 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

Sure, Eppler made some short term FA signings that didnt' work out.  But most of them had a chance to be a good move.   Hindsight is 20/20.    And are any of those busts still on our payroll?

Rendon?  Ohtani?  Tehran, Bundy, and Castro at fairly low risk?     

Ok so you admit they were busts.  

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

"All of Eppler’s free agent signings have been garbage."

Do you also consider Arol Vera to be a free agent signing?  These are international prospects, not comparable to MLB free agency.

9 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Ok so you admit they were busts.  

I admit some of them didn't work out...of course.   But you didn't answer my question.   Are any of them still on our payroll?

Also,  since you seemed to be gifted with hindsight.  Please rate this years signings.   I wan't to know which ones you already know are "garbage".    I'll second guess your answers after the season is over.

2 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

I admit some of them didn't work out...of course.   But you didn't answer my question.   Are any of them still on our payroll?

Also,  since you seemed to be gifted with hindsight....please rate this years signings.   I wan't to know which ones you already know are "garbage".    I'll give you credit later if you're right.

It doesn’t matter if they’re on our payroll or not.  They were awful and there’s no possible way you can justify them as smart.  I don’t know how good this year’s signings will turn out to be, but until they perform, you can’t use them take away from his awful track record of the guys who have actually played in games for us

9 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Do you also consider Arol Vera to be a free agent signing?  These are international prospects, not comparable to MLB free agency.

Because Ohtani's signing is comparable to Arol Vera's, right?

Wasn't aware the Yankees and Dodgers broke their big marketing guns to lure Arol to their respective franchises...will have to check into that

In the meantime, I'll enjoy Arol stepping right in and making an immediate impact of the MLB team.

Edited by mulwin444

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

Because Ohtani's signing is comparable to Arol Vera's, right?

Wasn't aware the Yankees and Dodgers broke their big marketing guns to lure Arol to their respective franchises...will have to check into that

Prospects cost very little compared to established players and you’re way less screwed if one of them ends up busting.  It’s an entirely different field than MLB free agency.

4 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

So yeah, you’re just petty because someone disagrees with you.  Got it.

well shoot, you just ripped my mask off. 

carry on with your crusade to educate us.

24 minutes ago, Tank said:

well shoot, you just ripped my mask off. 

carry on with your crusade to educate us.

I’m not trying to educate anyone.  I just think it’s pathetic and honestly embarrassing how the Ineptler lovers feel the constant need to flame and trolling react anyone who doesn’t constantly support every move or non-move he makes

1 minute ago, mymerlincat said:

Prospects cost very little compared to established players and you’re way less screwed if one of them ends up busting.  It’s an entirely different field than MLB free agency.

Hey man, spin it how ever you want.

After the majority of the rotation got injured in 2016, Eppler was left with rebuilding an offense, a pitching staff, a bullpen and a minor league system ranked 30th in the league with not a ton of financial wiggle room.  Free agent signings for the most part are hit and miss, factor in trying to shop for bargains with upside and your odds are even less but free agency wasn't how he tried to rebuild since A - he needed draft picks so he couldn't sign guys that had QA's and B - rebuilding teams are not signing top free agents when they are still likely 2-3 years away from being competitive.  So, going into 2017 with depleted pitching, bad farm and a ton of holes to fill in ever facet of your team you take a chance on Luis Valbuena, who had averaged over 2.0 WAR over the previous three seasons between Chicago and Houston, you give a one year deal to Jesse Chavez hoping he can replicate his career number over 150 or so innings, solidify your bullpen with one year of Yusmeiro Petit, you take a one year chance on Bud Norris having anything...all while making tiny trades with little impact on your future like trading nobody Rondons for Cameron Maybin, Danny Espinosa, Martin Maldonado, Yunel Escobar and working the waiver wire acquiring guys like Blake Parker, Parker Bridwell, JC Ramirez, Troy Scribner, Blake Wood, and Noe Ramirez.

The difference between shopping while rebuilding and shopping while contending means you end of up with Anthony Rendon and offer 8 years to Garrit Cole, both of which are great bets to give you All Star performances.