• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon opens up on Leaving the Cubs and Returning to the Angels

T.G.

On ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28670937/joe-maddon-opens-leaving-chicago-cubs-returning-la-angels

"I think somebody's got to stand up for our game and the way it is and it should be played, and what should be tinkered with and what should not," Maddon said. "My conclusion is analytics and technology are slightly responsible for putting the game in a position where it's not as attractive to fans."

Edited by True Grich

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

On ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28670937/joe-maddon-opens-leaving-chicago-cubs-returning-la-angels

"I think somebody's got to stand up for our game and the way it is and it should be played, and what should be tinkered with and what should not," Maddon said. "My conclusion is analytics and technology are slightly responsible for putting the game in a position where it's not as attractive to fans."

This is true of science and facts in general (not being attractive to fans).

And a twist... Epstein sees it differently!

https://theathletic.com/1601120/2020/02/11/theres-three-sides-to-every-story-including-joe-maddons-cubs-departure/

“That would conflict with some of the things that he and his agent were saying and doing towards the end of the season,” Epstein said on Tuesday. “It doesn’t mean it’s not true. And if that’s how he feels, especially with the benefit of hindsight, then I’m not going to dispute it. But that doesn’t really reflect the conversations we were having. Up until the very, very end, the last day or two when we talked about it just being best for everybody.”

At the end of the 2019 season, after Maddon and the Cubs parted ways, Epstein talked about some of those clubhouse changes. He spoke of the “unconventional methods” that were used to try and reach certain players – ideas that players had spearheaded while identifying areas of concern. But these methods, Epstein said, were something he “never want(s) to have to do again.”

Maddon’s methods obviously worked at one time, and he was open to tweaks and adjustments. But being more hands-on was clearly an area in which he and Epstein didn’t see eye-to-eye. While Epstein and the Cubs have been very careful not to discuss flaws they perceived in Maddon’s approach, there’s a reason Maddon is no longer in Chicago. 

🤔

We also have to remember that Chicago is a different environment from TB and SoCal.     Joe's methods worked in TB, and even worked in Chicago up until towards the end of his contract there.

Epstein has his viewpoint, and Joe has his.    It sounds like the time was right for Joe to change jobs, to the Halos' and Joe's benefit. 

Personally, the right mix of analytics and tradition sounds good to me.

Edited by Angel Oracle

44 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

We also have to remember that Chicago is a different environment from TB and SoCal.     Joe's methods worked in TB, and even worked in Chicago up until towards the end of his contract there.

Epstein has his viewpoint, and Joe has his.    It sounds like the time was right for Joe to change jobs, to the Halos' and Joe's benefit. 

Personally, the right mix of analytics and tradition sounds good to me.

Absolutely. They need to figure out how to blend both approaches for the benefit of the organization. If they figure this out, the Angels will grow into a success. Arte needs to mediate the two, hopefully he can.

59 minutes ago, Mark PT said:

Absolutely. They need to figure out how to blend both approaches for the benefit of the organization. If they figure this out, the Angels will grow into a success. Arte needs to mediate the two, hopefully he can.

You sure Arte won’t just get angry about the differences, take his toys, and go home?

On 2/11/2020 at 9:09 AM, True Grich said:

On ESPN

Just when i thought i couldnt like the man more.... this is exactly how i feel summed up much better than i could have done it. 

Added, i dont get why most of the baseball media is attacking him over these comments and his departure.  What did they think he was going to say while he was still there after all? 

More info on the cubs breakup from Chicago. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/cubs/2020/2/18/21143349/joe-maddon-defends-less-is-more-methods-after-criticism-over-cubs-decline-in-2018-19

looks like the Cubs management thought Maddon wasn’t getting the best out of the players because he was too lax with drills and fundamentals. Interesting take and something to pay attention to, how do the Angels do with the fundamentals.