• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amazing Larry

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

San Francisco takes the panic to new levels, barring ALL non-essential events from public places for two weeks.    Overreact much, S.F.???? 

People, the mortality rate is only 1% higher than the flu, and that's with there being a flu shot.

Take normal precautions like washing after going to the restroom, covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing, and don't touch your mouth/nose/eyes?   Of course

Don't panic!   Live your lives.

Dude, you aren't a doctor, you don't have access to information that people in charge have.

You have no idea what is prudent for a city of 5 million.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

San Francisco takes the panic to new levels, barring ALL non-essential events from public places for two weeks.    Overreact much, S.F.???? 

People, the mortality rate is only 1% higher than the flu, and that's with there being a flu shot.

Take normal precautions like washing after going to the restroom, covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing, and don't touch your mouth/nose/eyes?   Of course

Don't panic!   Live your lives.

Even funnier that SF already has bonafide health issues nobody cares about...

Needles lying around, and abundant human waste are an absolute health risk....

35 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Prisons are starting to riot in Italy. Visitations are banned because of the virus.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1252758/Coronavirus-Italy-news-San-Vittore-Milan-prisoner-protest-COVID-19-visit-ban-latest

I had to laugh when i read a few died during protests.

"How? Trampled?" I thought.

No. Broke into the pharmacy, OD'd. 

10 minutes ago, calscuf said:

AO is older and white, I presume. So he's in the most likely to get fucked up by the virus and most likely to blow off the warnings categories. 

The older people in my family are all like this (mostly MAGAs).  (i.e. my sister in her mid-60's is excited about all the cruise discounts).  What can you do?

Since this is already political I read a story this morning I found awesome.  There was a college age girl from Missouri who was studying or travelling in northern Italy and came home and started to have symptoms.  She called the CDC and was tested and was positive. They instructed her and her family to self-isolate.  They commended her for following the recommendations and being smart about the situations. Her MAGA father who ain't gonna have no hippy doctor from the Feds tell him what to do says F you to the quarantine and takes the other daughter out to a school function, potentially risking a bunch of other people.  

Saw that story, too.

1 hour ago, calscuf said:

AO is older and white, I presume. So he's in the most likely to get fucked up by the virus and most likely to blow off the warnings categories. 

The older people in my family are all like this (mostly MAGAs).  (i.e. my sister in her mid-60's is excited about all the cruise discounts).  What can you do?

Since this is already political I read a story this morning I found awesome.  There was a college age girl from Missouri who was studying or travelling in northern Italy and came home and started to have symptoms.  She called the CDC and was tested and was positive. They instructed her and her family to self-isolate.  They commended her for following the recommendations and being smart about the situations. Her MAGA father who ain't gonna have no hippy doctor from the Feds tell him what to do says F you to the quarantine and takes the other daughter out to a school function, potentially risking a bunch of other people.  

Definitely not a MAGA, more a moderate, and agree with the normal precautions and with quarantining a building that has the virus in it.

But to cancel all non-essential events, when it's not known that anyone at any one of them would have the virus, seems to be overkill.

I agree that it's gotten political, with both far ends of the spectrum.   One end wants to place bubbles over us, and the other end is taking it too lightly.  

But of course, getting the two far ends to come towards the middle is about as difficult as getting the Astros to play by the rules.    

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

Dude, you aren't a doctor, you don't have access to information that people in charge have.

You have no idea what is prudent for a city of 5 million.

You don't think it was politically motivated?     Think about it, banning ALL non-essential public gatherings?

Like I said above, I don't take it lightly and take the normal precautions, but I don't let it run my life.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, calscuf said:

I saw this same story.  These people need to be outed.  People need to know that they’ve been exposed.  The hubris of so many of these types of Americans is off the charts. 

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

You don't think it was politically motivated?     Think about it, banning ALL non-essential public gatherings?

Like I said above, I don't take it lightly and take the normal precautions, but I don't let it run my life.

I don't think it is politically motivated.

It could be an overabundance of caution for sure.

But we don't know much about this virus.

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

I don't think it is politically motivated.

It could be an overabundance of caution for sure.

But we don't know much about this virus.

That's fair enough.    I'm just not going to let it control my life, other than normal health precautions always taken and not traveling to where it is prevalent (like China and Japan).   

Edited by Angel Oracle

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

That's fair enough.    I'm just not going to let it control my life, other than normal health precautions always taken and not traveling to where it is prevalent (like China and Japan).   

It’s going to control your life when schools start closing, businesses have as many people possible work from home and we all end up under quarantine. 

Princeton is doing classes online for a bit after telling students not to come back from Spring break and Columbia cancelled classes after a 6th case was found in New Jersey.  I think the world collectively screwed the pooch on this but the only thing that matters at this point is playing it smart.  If you're over 60 and running around in high traffic places even though the risk of catching it now might be very low you're playing Russian roulette.  The government doesn't need to f around with this and I don't care about the feelings of those on cruise ships or anywhere else that the disease has reached.  Time to take a pragmatic approach to it. 

2 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

It’s going to control your life when schools start closing, businesses have as many people possible work from home and we all end up under quarantine. 

I'm prepared to work from home, as my company already allows at least maybe 1/4 of those in my department to do so.

1 minute ago, Lhalo said:

Our company is prepared to do this in the event that schools are shut down, there's an outbreak in a city we're located in or anything else dictates that people should err on the side of caution.  Those disaster recovery plans businesses are supposed to have in place are hopefully ready to go.

Help me out here.     I look at the statistics, and see that the mortality rate is basically the same as it is with the flu (and that's with flu shots being available).

With that in mind, why is it that so much panic is happening?    Not so much the mortality, as it is the number of incidences of the virus?   And even there, how many incidences have been reported in the USA so far?

I get quarantining buildings, ships, and homes where the virus is known to exist.   I don't get shutting cities and states down. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

They know more about the "regular" flu and have vaccines to most known strains.  This virus has already mutated once, they have no vaccines and they don't know how nasty it can get especially if it hit a big population.  Right now we've seen people come down with it who either traveled abroad or were in say DC or somewhere else for a meeting/trip and suddenly one of them tests positive after coming back home.  If shutting things down for a few weeks keeps a bigger outbreak from occurring while they quarantine and treat people who have it then that prevents a bad situation from getting a lot worse and reduces the loss.  If millions of people came down with anything like the flu at the same time and it was a bad strain the healthcare system would be overloaded.  Imagine if something like this ran rampant through a poor area where people can't afford to go to the doctor, families are crammed together in 1-2 bedroom apartments and hospitals are already stretched thin just with day to day operations.

For the record I'm anything but a healthcare professional but seeing how China/Italy have had to respond and how Iran screwed the pooch the rest of the world knows what can happen if they don't get ahead of it.  Some people that have it have had a mild case but some people are completely out of commission.  Even if it's a 2% mortality rate if it spread across the US and 1/3 of the population got it that would lead to over 2 million deaths.  

46 minutes ago, calscuf said:

There was some twat on the cruise ship that was going in circles off San Francisco that was complaining she wanted an ACLU lawyer because they were going to take them to a military base for quarantine after they docked in Oakland.  

Man, I work with older clients all day everyday in fucking Orange County California.  You have no idea how many times I’ve heard these people angrily tell me about how this is a all a media assault on Trump.  You know the segment of the population I’m talking about.  An unreal number of people simply refuse to believe it’s a real thing.  If we have a Venn diagram of people who refuse to accept climate change is real and people who think that corona virus is a made up threat it would be a single perfect circle.