• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What would a trade package for Wilson Contreras be?

In hindsight,  how many of 2009’s Angel top 20 prospects would you trade to get an established starting catcher that can hit?

Jordan Walden

Trevor Reckling

Hank Conger

Will Smith

Peter Bourjos

Kevin Jepsen

Mark Trumbo

Anthony Ortega

Clay Fuller

Sean Osullivan

Tyler Chatwood

Manuarys Correa

Alexander Torres

Ryan Chaffee

Luis Jimenez

Michael Kohn

Ryan Mount

Jose Perez

Gabe Jacobo

(I left Adenhart off the list)

All I am saying is we hear lots of people saying “no way” to trading two names from the Angels top prospect list today, and we just have to remember that the vast majority of all these prospects end up irrelevant.

Not claiming to be an expert, but based on my reading the Cubs have a need at 2B and the OF, as well as everyone always wanting SP.

If i had to guess, and its purely that, knowing that there is 3 more years of control there and knowing their goal is to lower costs... im guessing Rengifo plus a young arm and a young OF prospect.   fill in the blanks 🙂

Alas i feel pending those names it might be a little imbalanced in their favor for Contreras alone so maybe you grab Chatwood or Quintana in the deal.  

So just for shits and giggle lets say something like maybe Rengifo, Knowles/Adams, Suarez/Sandoval for Contreras and Chatwood/Quintana? 

Chatwood only has one year and 13M left on his current contract and Quintana has 1 yr and 10.5 but Contreras isnt that expensive so were going to need to add something to the deal for it to do what the cubs need it to,  Betweem them we take about 15-18M. 

Add Kuechel at about 16M per your looking at rotation depth of something like Keuchel, Ohtani (1 start a week) Teheran, Bundy, Chatwood, Heaney, with the kids in reserve.   And a lineup of Contreras, Pujols/Thaiss/Ward, Fletcher/Lastella, Simmons, Rendon, Goodwin, Trout, Upton with Adell/Marsh in the wings.   

Sorry for being long winded it just seemed we have to take into account a few extra factors. 

First, why does anyone keep Albert out of the lineup?  For as long as he is on the roster, he is going to play.  

Contreras would be a nice get.  Marsh would be part of the package, the Cubs would ask for Sandoval, I hope we'd counter with Barria and Suarez.  

Rengifo is blocked now, so he could be included.  Don't want Chatwood back unless the Cubs buy some of it down.  Quintana would be a nice add.

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Sorry if I am lazy asking instead of searching but is there actual talk of Contreras Being available or are we just interested because he would be a nice catcher to have?

The cubs are looking to cut salary, and to my knowledge have had talks about everyone from Contreras to Bryant to Schwarber.  Thats where the Darvish stuff came from till he nixed that.

The thing about it to me is that it woudnt necessarily cost top kids if we took Chatwood or Quintana back which i think would be necessary due to Contreras alone not being that expensive..  Id imagine they would love to dump Heyward too but i dont see us going there.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The Angels can’t trade Canning for a catcher.  

Canning either:

1). stays as part of the pitching solution or
2). if he is traded it is because he is in a deal where the Angels are getting back a stud front line starter

Agreed.

I feel the same way about Sandoval. I don't think he has the upside of Canning, but he's also younger. 

As much as I'd love to have Contreras, I think our offense is top 10 on paper as is. Losing Canning moves the needle backwards for the pitching staff. I think he could legitimately be a very good number 3 starter as early as next year. 

Obviously it's just assumptions at this point as we have no idea what it would actually take to get Contreras, but Canning would be a reasonable ask from them.

Just sign Maldonado.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Not claiming to be an expert, but based on my reading the Cubs have a need at 2B and the OF, as well as everyone always wanting SP.

If i had to guess, and its purely that, knowing that there is 3 more years of control there and knowing their goal is to lower costs... im guessing Rengifo plus a young arm and a young OF prospect.   fill in the blanks 🙂

Alas i feel pending those names it might be a little imbalanced in their favor for Contreras alone so maybe you grab Chatwood or Quintana in the deal.  

So just for shits and giggle lets say something like maybe Rengifo, Knowles/Adams, Suarez/Sandoval for Contreras and Chatwood/Quintana? 

Chatwood only has one year and 13M left on his current contract and Quintana has 1 yr and 10.5 but Contreras isnt that expensive so were going to need to add something to the deal for it to do what the cubs need it to,  Betweem them we take about 15-18M. 

Add Kuechel at about 16M per your looking at rotation depth of something like Keuchel, Ohtani (1 start a week) Teheran, Bundy, Chatwood, Heaney, with the kids in reserve.   And a lineup of Contreras, Pujols/Thaiss/Ward, Fletcher/Lastella, Simmons, Rendon, Goodwin, Trout, Upton with Adell/Marsh in the wings.   

Sorry for being long winded it just seemed we have to take into account a few extra factors. 

I understand they want the salary dump too, but that likely takes us away from signing Keuchel or Ryu which would be an upgrade over Chatwood/Quintana. 

I wouldn't part with Marsh for a catcher either, but I would go Rengifo, Adams, Suarez and a filler for Contreras if that's the "ridiculous" price.
If the Angels sign Ryu/Keuchel then their pitching is set and they are keeping Marsh. Therefore there won't be room at all for Adams with an outfield of Adell, Trout, Upton/Marsh. 

Then again, Adams can show flashes like a future Byron Buxton and Marsh could tear up AAA and raise their values to net an Ace in a trade at the deadline or next offseason. That would give Eppler much better options by simply holding on to them right now.

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I understand they want the salary dump too, but that likely takes us away from signing Keuchel or Ryu which would be an upgrade over Chatwood/Quintana. 

I wouldn't part with Marsh for a catcher either, but I would go Rengifo, Adams, Suarez and a filler for Contreras if that's the "ridiculous" price.
If the Angels sign Ryu/Keuchel then their pitching is set and they are keeping Marsh. Therefore there won't be room at all for Adams with an outfield of Adell, Trout, Upton/Marsh. 

Then again, Adams can show flashes like a future Byron Buxton and Marsh could tear up AAA and raise their values to net an Ace in a trade at the deadline or next offseason. That would give Eppler much better options by simply holding on to them right now.

it doesnt have to take us out of it at all, and it shouldnt, one year over the threshold is nothing in the grand scheme. 
But, the thing is your not getting Contreras without taking that i dont think... which is to me a blessing, it justifies not giving them the better kids.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

it doesnt have to take us out of it at all, and it shouldnt, one year over the threshold is nothing in the grand scheme. 
But, the thing is your not getting Contreras without taking that i dont think... which is to me a blessing, it justifies not giving them the better kids.

@Jeff Fletcher pointed out we have about $27M to spend before we hit the tax. They could easily afford Ryu/Contreras or Keuchel/Contreras and still be under. 

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

In hindsight,  how many of 2009’s Angel top 20 prospects would you trade to get an established starting catcher that can hit?

Jordan Walden

Trevor Reckling

Hank Conger

Will Smith

Peter Bourjos

Kevin Jepsen

Mark Trumbo

Anthony Ortega

Clay Fuller

Sean Osullivan

Tyler Chatwood

Manuarys Correa

Alexander Torres

Ryan Chaffee

Luis Jimenez

Michael Kohn

Ryan Mount

Jose Perez

Gabe Jacobo

(I left Adenhart off the list)

All I am saying is we hear lots of people saying “no way” to trading two names from the Angels top prospect list today, and we just have to remember that the vast majority of all these prospects end up irrelevant.

serious question, how many of those guys made the top 100 prospect list? 

maybe the angels drafted like shit by and large then and now the current regime is better at it. there does seem to be some proof of that, considering they never tanked like other teams for draft position and int'l. money.

20 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

@Jeff Fletcher pointed out we have about $27M to spend before we hit the tax. They could easily afford Ryu/Contreras or Keuchel/Contreras and still be under. 

Not if we take on one of those guys in the process which i believe we will have to do to make the trade happen.  I see no reason the cubs trade Contreras without getting the salary relief they want. 
I figure Kuechel will cost 16ish, we take 15-18 from the Cubs, your looking at 30-55 added, just marginally over the threshold. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Not if we take on one of those guys in the process which i believe we will have to do to make the trade happen.  I see no reason the cubs trade Contreras without getting the salary relief they want. 
I figure Kuechel will cost 16ish, we take 15-18 from the Cubs, your looking at 30-55 added, just marginally over the threshold. 

MLBTR has Keuchel at 3yr/$39M which is $13M AAV (assuming he gets it which he'll get more so I'll add extra $1M)

Maybe we get the Cubs to retain $2M of Quintana's contract since we will take Contreras too. 

Quintana $8.5M, Contreras $4.5M, Keuchel $14M. This puts our luxury cap at exactly $208M.