• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A reminder of how good Patrick Sandoval & Griffin Canning can be

Chuck

2 minutes ago, ukyah said:

in your clips, i actually liked sandoval's throwing better. granted they're only showing single outings. canning was missing his spots, but getting outs. sandoval was hitting his spots, and his fastball had serious late pop on it.

Yeah the Canning one was from one of his last outings when he saw his velo drop due to arm fatigue. He was pumping out fastballs in the mid 90's his first few months before tiring. 

Call A way

there's not an O in his name.  

I can't wait for an actual coach to look at a pitcher and offer some mechanical help between starts/innings/pitches.  

Suarez was a wreck without that sort of input.  His control in the minors was excellent and at the major league level it was dog doo.  You're gonna see the most progression from him this year.  

Sandoval's biggest enemy will be Patrick Sandoval.  He pitches with a lot of emotion.  If he's truly 93-96 with a plus change and solid breaker then he'll be very good.  I see him as a Hector Santiago type and maybe a little better.  He could even develop into a Jose Quintana if he keeps his wits about him.  

Barria has the lowest ceiling of all the young guys but they need to let him pitch.  He probably has the worst stuff and best ability to pitch.  With a real pitching coach the previous year, he threw a lot more sinkers and more fastballs which made his slider and change more effective.  Callaway will help but a guy that would really help him is someone with the ability to call a decent game.  As an aside, I know people like maldonado for that, but I've never been a huge fan of his game calling.  Love him for his receiving and his leadership as well as his ability to hold down the running game and block balls in the dirt, but his pitch selection was sorta meh imo.  

Canning has the ability to be a top of the rotation starter.  There aren't a lot of guys you can say that about.  It's not because he throws 100mph and has a devastating slider.  It's something @Inside Pitch mentioned awhile back (I think) in that he's a 'whole greater than sum of the parts' guy.  No one pitch is gonna absolutely blow you away but he's got four plus pitches and from what I've seen he can locate them and throw them in any count.  There is some inconsistency in that right now but we've all seen him do it at times.  But any one of the four can get you out.  Yes, there are guys who have that sort of mix but never gain enough consistency with location to become a top of the rotation guy.  Regardless of whether he finds that gear and puts it all together, I think it gives him a really high floor.  He stays healthy and he'll be a #3 at least for a long time.  

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Back to Sandoval and Canning, there's a lot of similarities in Sandoval to a young Cole Hamels and Canning to Trevor Bauer. 

I'm not saying they will be even remotely close to them as far as their careers, but you can see a lot of similar stuff and deliveries to the two comparisons. 

I see a lot of Johan Santana in Sandoval

8 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Patrick Sandoval posted a 2.06 ERA in 2018 across 3 levels and held the opposition to a sick .196 BAA. In 2019 he started in Double-A and held the opposition to a .187 BAA across 5 starts before going to the PCL where all pitching numbers go to shit. That said, despite the high ERA in AAA, he struck out 66 batters across 60 IP and then fanned 42 over 39.1 innings with the big league club. 

I would like to see Sandoval more in control and less bouncy pulls through so hard it looks off balance in his delivery then push through with his lower half more. Similar to Canning.

It would allow him more break on his offspeed stuff and actually could help with a circle change. 

His mechanics are very fast and he speeds through it all which at times doesnt allow his arm to catch up with his body. Keeps him up in the zone and flattens his pitches up.

17 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know the Angels need a top tiered arm like Gerrit Cole or Stephen Strasburg and one of Wheeler/Odorizzi/Ryu ahead of Ohtani, but this is a friendly reminder of what Sandoval and Canning can contribute from the back end of the rotation. 

These two local kids from Mission Viejo have a chance to really shine after getting major league experience in 2019. 

Patrick Sandoval:

Griffin Canning:

I think im more excited for how good the team can be if they ARE the back end of the rotation

I'm just tired of hoping for a "bounce back year" or hearing about "if they can stay healthy" or hearing about how good someone "can be" or any number of things that are supposed to drum up "hope" - as a replacement for true expectations.  I was a sold a bad bill of goods on Harvey, Allen and Cahill last year.  I read some "numbers" and "analysis" that was supposed to give me hope... I'd rather have some pitchers that pass the eye test and their "numbers" are overwhelming.  I know I can't expect that from all five or six starters - but I'm only going to feel good about the staff when the names that pop up are names that give me that head nodding, grinning like a Cheshire cat - feeling.