• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Trade Simmons Crowd

Stradling

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I was being a little facetious.  But the point stands.  I am very concerned about regression with Simmons.  The numbers say he’s regressing defensively.  

I assumed it was -- but to your point.. .   Sure he's likely regressing defensively -- he's gone from being the Jesus of defense to being the John the Baptist -- meanwhile everyone else is Benny freaking Hinn.

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

And I don think he will or should take a 2 year deal.  Once you’re talking about the kind of deal he’s probably rightly going to pursue I think you very seriously have to think about getting what you can for him and parting ways. 

I have no clue either way -- Im saying they should ask and see if the costs involved to keep his defense around makes sense to them.  Because defense costs less than offense, and his offense doesn't help his earning ability.

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

How much run production do you think it will take to offset the loss of run prevention? -- find the answer that and figure out the costs to add that run production then compare it to the costs it would take to pay for that run prevention -- that's the game MLB GMs are playing now.    I'm not being a wise ass, I don't think any of us has the info to make that call, but the fixating on the offensive side of things is a mistake.  This is where those teams like Oakland and Tampa Bay take advantage of the rest of MLB.    

Run prevention has a greater impact on winning than run production does.    This is not one of those things that is opinion based it's been mathed out to hell and back and the results are overwhelmingly convincing.7

I guess, but I wouldn't go beyond a 2-year extension with Simba and hopefully it won't cost much. There's money to be spent better elsewhere IMO. 

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Sure he's likely regressing defensively -- he's gone from being the Jesus of defense to being the John the Baptist -- meanwhile everyone else is Benny freaking Hinn

image.png

5 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I think the financial obligations would pale in the benefits the organization receives from connecting Simmons to the Angels forever.  To me, building a winning tradition is not only determined by winning games but also with the approach by the entire organization.  The Angels have not been very good about developing such a culture because of their reliance on mostly free agents.  We all look back to 2002 and that team and wish some of those players would return in the hope that their success rubs off.  Simmons may be expensive, but I think he can play and contribute for a long time.  You ask a legitimate question and I do not have an answer that balances the financial ledger.

Simmons is an important player to the Angels from a legacy perspective whether he retires with them or not.  The guy is beloved.  But it’s likely that the Angels have already got his best years.  

im not saying the Angels should just throw him away.  All I’ve ever said is that a trade should be explored.  If a decent return is out there, they should take it.  If not, fine.  I’m not worried about having Simmons as the short stop in 2020.  We can revisit the contract issue at the end of the season. 

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think, just like Upton, this year the injuries are what caused the offensive decline.  Healthy they’ll both be solid.   If Simmons is gone and we go in house or sign a Moustakas to play 3rd, the opponent’s are going to score 15-20 more runs. 

I'll gladly keep Fletcher at 3B if we can sign Moustakas to play 2B where he had a stellar .993 fielding pct., just one error there all season + 35 HR and a .516 slugging pct. He also figured out lefthanded pitching for the first time in his career, slashing .276/.343/.534 against them.

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I understand the point that defense at shortstop is important and Simmons is the best.  I understand the point that it defense has an effect on wins and losses.

But let’s just also acknowledge that every team that made the playoffs didn’t have Simmons.

You can win without Simmons.

Haha you can also win without Trouty with that analogy 

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Considering he wouldn't be in his age 36 season for another 6 seasons...     Extend him for two years, he's 33 by the time the deal is over.   Three years puts him at 34.  So the question becomes, do they believe his defense will fall off the cliff in his age 32-33 seasons.

I think he is more likely to play well crossing age 35 like Visquel did. 

3 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

I'm with the "don't sign a 31 year old Simmons to a multiyear deal" crowd.

If the Angels do want to keep Simmons, my hope is they extend him this winter, working a new deal that resets his '20 salary and luxury tax AAV...I'd love to see something like a 4/$44m or so.

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'll gladly keep Fletcher at 3B if we can sign Moustakas to play 2B where he had a stellar .993 fielding pct., just one error there all season + 35 HR and a .516 slugging pct. He also figured out lefthanded pitching for the first time in his career, slashing .276/.343/.534 against them.

That’s how we’re still evaluating defense? ?