• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RIP Andy Etchebarren

Long time Baltimore Orioles catcher, player on world championship teams in Baltimore, played for the Angels 1975-77. I saw him catch at the Big A in 1975, the first time that I ever went there. Dead at 76.

‘A terrific teammate’: Ex-Orioles catcher Andy Etchebarren, member of ’66 and ’70 championship teams, dies at 76

I remember seeing him catch both games of a doubleheader for the Rochester Red Wings at Jacksonville in the 1960s on a typically muggy evening. 

Back when defensive catchers meant something in the game -- not that they don't now -- but back during the era that Andy E caught - catchers were prized more for their defense and while. a few had offensive pop - the better ones were the guys who could handle the pitchers well.

speaking of which -- noticing that the soon to be repeat World Champion Astros have Martin Maldonado behind the plate in the post season for them.

what a great trade for them to get him back -- still not sure why the Angels did not sign him during the off-season when he was available again,

We would then have Maldonado and the guy we got for him (Sandoval) in the trade with Houston. I thought the trade for Sandoval was great but didn't realize at the time time, we'd be in a position to re-sign Maldonado before the 2019 season -- he wen tot KC then Chicago Cubs and now is starting in the playoffs for the Astros -- making their already good pitching staff better.

the cousin is probably tired of guys saying "Andy Etchebarren?"  Really?  and reeling off stats (like the 4 starters who won 20 games in one season).....

although these days, younger fans don't follow the players and stats as in the past -- so if anyone says that to her -- it's the dinosaurs.

Back in 1971, when I was a kid, they held an autograph session at Andy Etchebarren's liquor store in Hacienda Heights.  The Orioles were in town to play the Angels.  It was mobbed with kids and I remember waiting in line a long time.  But I was able to get a ball autographed by Brooks Robinson, Dave McNally, Jim Palmer, Davey Johnson and Etchebarren.  I still have it somewhere.