• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Top-50 Angels Prospects (2013)

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you going to ST this year, you may want to print out our Top-50 list to give you a scouting report readily available for the kids playing in Arizona.

also helps to know the names of the players when asking for autographs..lol...calling out "kaleb!" tends to work better then "hey! you!"

• 2 months later...

Pretty awesome that my little bro, Zach, was left off this list completely.

Boy, do you guys look spectacularly stupid.

Just goes to show how scouts screw up all of the time.

If you are talking about Zach Borenstein, you must have missed our prospect reports.  In fact, Zach has been # 1 and # 2 on our list the past couple of weeks

http://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/los-angeles-angels-prospect-hotlist.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Angelswin+%28AngelsWin.com+Today%29

http://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/los-angeles-angels-prospect-report-cam.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Angelswin+%28AngelsWin.com+Today%29

We definitely try to keep our content fair and objective.  I personally take it upon myself to try to mention as many names as I can to get a thorough view of the system.  I'm sorry you were disappointed, but if Zach keeps it up this year, you can bet he will be in the top 20 or so for next year.

Please know that hard work goes into all of this and it is tough to please everyone.

Yes they do, and so do we and other so-called experts.

Chill though, we got Zach on our radar. In fact, we just recently interviewed him and that will be on our website soon. 

AngelsWin.com did their homework and found out what fuels the guy.

You're welcome.

Really, what would you expect?  The only time you'd have a chance to see Zack in 2012 is the short trips made out to Arizona, inwhich you're going to watch a dozen other players as well.  On top of which, seeing him in ST, it's impossible to gauge where he's at because the competition varies so much.  

Zack looks fantastic right now and did well enough this Spring to move up to Inland EMpire.  He's also showing at Inland Empire that he may have a future in this business.  But you can't blame anyone (AW, MWAH, Baseball America, Baseball  Prospectus, ESPN, Minor League Ball etc) for not ranking a kid who hit .270 something against high schoolers in Arizona last year.

Clearly, Zack is showing everyone a few things this year, specifically, his ability make adjustments and make pitchers pay for mistakes.  

Really, what would you expect?  The only time you'd have a chance to see Zack in 2012 is the short trips made out to Arizona, inwhich you're going to watch a dozen other players as well.  On top of which, seeing him in ST, it's impossible to gauge where he's at because the competition varies so much.  

Zack looks fantastic right now and did well enough this Spring to move up to Inland EMpire.  He's also showing at Inland Empire that he may have a future in this business.  But you can't blame anyone (AW, MWAH, Baseball America, Baseball  Prospectus, ESPN, Minor League Ball etc) for not ranking a kid who hit .270 something against high schoolers in Arizona last year.

Clearly, Zack is showing everyone a few things this year, specifically, his ability make adjustments and make pitchers pay for mistakes.

He wasn't in Arizona last year; he was in Cedar Rapids. And when he was in Arizona he didn't get regular playing time. Labeling what kind of player a kid is after 136 PAs in his first taste of pro ball is extremely short-sighted. Ike Davis didn't hit a HR in 239 PAs when he was in low-A. Guess that means he has no power.

Last year in CR he more than held his own out there, and instead of toiling away in extended spring training for reasons beyond comprehension he should have started the season in CR. I would go so far as to say he was the best player on that team. His numbers compared favorably to Cowart's.

All I'm saying is him being left off a list of your top 50 prospects before the season started was a monumental oversight on somebody's part, and if no one is willing to eat crow for it then you're all ridiculously stubborn. If I come off as bitter, maybe I am. And maybe it feels pretty good right now to see him validate everything I've just said, and then some.

Then please show a little patience for those that have only witnessed his play for a couple. In Cedar Rapids he played well but by no means was besting top talent in the league or even on his own squad that included 20 position players. Some guys need that extra year to get comfortable with the minors and then have the breakout that Zack is having this year for Inland Empire.

Good for him this season and I hope it carries him all the way to the majors but for now his accomplishments this season cannot be credited to last season's prospect report.

Can't blame anyone for overlooking Borenstein.  Not sure what jumped out about his 2012 season that would put him on anyone's radar.  11 HRs.  .266 BA.  Producing gets you noticed.  Borenstein obviously has talent, otherwise he wouldn't be an Angels minor leaguer.  But production is what separates the talented.  Congrats to Zach for the breakout!  Best wishes for continued success.

Can't blame anyone for overlooking Borenstein.  Not sure what jumped out about his 2012 season that would put him on anyone's radar.  11 HRs.  .266 BA.  Producing gets you noticed.  Borenstein obviously has talent, otherwise he wouldn't be an Angels minor leaguer.  But production is what separates the talented.  Congrats to Zach for the breakout!  Best wishes for continued success.

Yeah, he didn't produce at all last year...

15th best SLG (ahead of Cowart and everyone else on CR), 26th best OPS (3 points behind Cowart, ahead of everyone else on CR) in the Midwest League, 25 doubles in under 300 ABs

Prorate his numbers to a full season and the counting stats would jump out at you.

Projecting his 79 games in CR to a 162-game season comes out to:

23 HRs, 52 doubles, 7 triples, 103 RBIs, 87 runs scored, 27 SBs, 9 CS, 56 BBs, 295 total bases

When a young hitter's power develops, a lot of those doubles turn into HRs.

Edited by Toby Ziegler

15th best SLG (ahead of Cowart and everyone else on CR), 26th best OPS (3 points behind Cowart, ahead of everyone else on CR) in the Midwest League, 25 doubles in under 300 ABs

Prorate his numbers to a full season and the counting stats would jump out at you.

There's so many Angels minor leaguers, hundreds. This is no knock on Borenstein if he didn't make the top 50 so don't sweat it, if Borenstein continues to rake he will not only make our top-50 going into 2014, but he could crack the top 10. 

This is why family of pro-athletes shouldn't read message boards. You are actually being incredibly immature in this thread.

Toby, there's no reason to be upset.  We all tend to see the ones we love in a positive light.  My brother was drafted and drew comparisons to Nomar.  Injuries derailed that career, but even when he was healthy no one took it as a personal vendetta against someone that he wasn't made a #1 prospect.  Simply put, your brother's skill set and numbers didn't separate him from any other prospect in the system a year ago.  

Enter this year and clearly he's jumped out and demanded recognition for his talent, which many of us are doing now.  If he keeps it up, he'll be a Top 20 prospect this year.  If he has a monster year like Calhoun did at Inland EMpire, he might even enter the top 15 or 10 at MWAH depending on how the draft looks.  More importantly, he could make his way on the Angels or some other team's roster in a couple of years.  He's definitely taking the right steps.  As an Angels fan, I'm rooting for him. 

Toby, there's no reason to be upset.  We all tend to see the ones we love in a positive light.  My brother was drafted and drew comparisons to Nomar.  Injuries derailed that career, but even when he was healthy no one took it as a personal vendetta against someone that he wasn't made a #1 prospect.  Simply put, your brother's skill set and numbers didn't separate him from any other prospect in the system a year ago.  

Enter this year and clearly he's jumped out and demanded recognition for his talent, which many of us are doing now.  If he keeps it up, he'll be a Top 20 prospect this year.  If he has a monster year like Calhoun did at Inland EMpire, he might even enter the top 15 or 10 at MWAH depending on how the draft looks.  More importantly, he could make his way on the Angels or some other team's roster in a couple of years.  He's definitely taking the right steps.  As an Angels fan, I'm rooting for him. 

Very well put, Scott.  History is littered with players who were taken unbelievably late when 20/20 hindsight is factored in.  Pujols.  Mattingly.  Piazza.  Just to name a few.  Some variables pushed all of those players off every teams radar for some reason, and they matured as players and ended up having nice careers.  The opposite can be said as well.  How many players never became what we thought they'd be after being drafted high?  Brandon Wood anyone?  He's not alone.  Point being.....drafting and accumulating rankings are inexact sciences.  We are all very happy that Borenstein is forcing people to take notice.  I'd prefer to cheer him on going forward rather than berate people for not having noticed sooner.  Better late than never!

• 4 weeks later...