• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels sticking with struggling José Suarez in the rotation

ANAHEIM — A day after José Suarez allowed six runs in three innings — the shortest of his 11 big league starts — he was penciled back into the rotation for another turn on Saturday.

Suarez’s rough outing against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Monday raised his ERA to 6.57. He has allowed at least four runs in his last three outings. He’s only had two games so far in which he’s pitched at least five innings and allowed three runs or fewer.

Asked on Tuesday about Suarez’s status in the rotation, Manager Brad Ausmus said, essentially, that the Angels don’t have many choices.

“Part of it is the pitching situation that we are in and the starters we have available,” Ausmus said. “We still have to have a starter out there every fifth day. We do want him to maintain his confidence and that can be difficult when you get hit around. But for the foreseeable future, he’s going to be in the rotation.”

Jaime Barría, who is currently in Triple-A, is not an option to take Suarez’s next turn because Barría was just optioned on Sunday, and he can’t come back in less than 10 days unless he’s replacing an injured player.

Nick Tropeano started on Saturday for Salt Lake, so he could be rested enough to take Suarez’s turn if the Angels wanted to go that way. Tropeano has a 6.44 ERA in Salt Lake, and he’s allowed 15 runs in 13-2/3 innings in the majors this season.

The Angels also could piece together a bullpen game using multi-inning relievers like Trevor Cahill and Taylor Cole, and then bring Barría back next week.

Further complicating the Angels pitching plans, they have a doubleheader on Tuesday in Texas, so they’ll need an extra starter for one of those games.

WAITING FOR VELO

Five games into JC Ramírez’s return from Tommy John surgery, he has allowed four runs in eight innings.

Ramírez, however, has still not shown the velocity that he had before he was hurt. In 2017, his breakthrough season as a starter with the Angels, his fastball averaged 95.5 mph. Since Ramírez returned, his fastball has averaged coming back from surgery, it’s been 91.0 mph.

Asked whether Ramírez can be effective in the long run at that velocity, Ausmus said: “We’ll find out. I don’t think it’s a guarantee the velocity doesn’t come back either. It might not come back this year, but it might come back after an offseason, at least to what he was accustomed to before the surgery.”

ALSO

Noé Ramírez, who has been out because of a viral infection, came through a simulated game without any issues on Tuesday. Ausmus said they will decide in the next day or so when to activate him. As soon as Ramírez is activated, he will need to serve his three-game suspension for hitting Jake Marisnick with a pitch. The Angels will have to play with 24 players for those three games…

Adalberto Mejia was placed on the restricted list “to tend to a personal matter,” Ausmus said, without providing any further information. There is no timeframe for his return. Jake Jewell was recalled to take Mejia’s spot on the roster….

The Angels optioned José Rodriguez, who had pitched four innings on Monday night. That created the opening for Griffin Canning to be activated from the injured list.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Dillon Peters, 2-1, 3.45) vs. Pirates (Chris Archer, 3-8, 5.23), 5:07 p.m., Fox Sports West

View the full article

Never seen the Angels this desperate for pitchers. Pretty sad really... 

im pretty worried about 2020, 

Canning struggling big time and could use some refinement in the minors, Suarez doesn’t seem like a major league option, Tropeano has been terrible in AAA and the majors, Ramirez doesn’t have his velocity, Heaney can’t stay healthy, who knows how Pena comes back, Barria has struggled this year. We could be in for another season like this next year.... 

Eppler may have no choice but to empty the farm to get a starting rotation together.

7 hours ago, cvdog said:

Clown, I'm well aware Eppler didn't sign these guys but he works for an organization that did. The Angel organization is littered with failed GM's and a overzealous owner who picks up the marquee old FA position player to sell seats. Maybe the true blame is on Arte!

You are beyond dumb.  Clown.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Which is exactly what they should be doing with Suarez. The season is over as far as contention is concerned, so now its about giving the young guys major league experience that they can build on, and also assessing them for readiness. 

there's a balance between growth and eroding confidence.  tough to really grow when you're lasting 4 innings outing.  He's yet to make any adjustments that I've seen so far.  

He normally has good control but he's been missing by a mile with his fastball which has been getting torched and making his secondary stuff less effective.  

On 8/14/2019 at 11:21 AM, cvdog said:

Clown, I'm well aware Eppler didn't sign these guys but he works for an organization that did. The Angel organization is littered with failed GM's and a overzealous owner who picks up the marquee old FA position player to sell seats. Maybe the true blame is on Arte!

latest?cb=20190801020427

22 hours ago, Dochalo said:

there's a balance between growth and eroding confidence.  tough to really grow when you're lasting 4 innings outing.  He's yet to make any adjustments that I've seen so far.  

He normally has good control but he's been missing by a mile with his fastball which has been getting torched and making his secondary stuff less effective.  

The other issue is that there are 24 other guys on the team. It is pretty annoying I’m sure if you’re one of the other guys out there who is busting his ass and trying to win games and the team keeps rolling a kid out there who shouldn’t be there and you’re behind 5-0 right out of the gate. 

There is definitely a balance between letting young players gain experience and letting them get overmatched at the expense of the rest of the team. 

14 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The other issue is that there are 24 other guys on the team. It is pretty annoying I’m sure if you’re one of the other guys out there who is busting his ass and trying to win games and the team keeps rolling a kid out there who shouldn’t be there and you’re behind 5-0 right out of the gate. 

There is definitely a balance between letting young players gain experience and letting them get overmatched at the expense of the rest of the team. 

have you heard anything about the way they are asking Pitcher/Catchers to approach hitters and whether some players might be frustrated with that.  I've kinda made up in my own mind that we're seeing such a different methodology and that it's just not working all that well vs. just a general lack of talent and/or experience.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

have you heard anything about the way they are asking Pitcher/Catchers to approach hitters and whether some players might be frustrated with that.  I've kinda made up in my own mind that we're seeing such a different methodology and that it's just not working all that well vs. just a general lack of talent and/or experience.  

I’ve heard nothing about any issues like that.