• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBPipeline’s midseason re-rankings

mmc

They updated the Angels Top 30 as well:

• 1: OF Jo Adell
  • 2: OF Brandon Marsh
  • 3: Jordyn Adams
  • 4: SS Will Wilson
  • 5: SS/2B Jeremiah Jackson
  • 6: 1B/3B Matt Thaiss
  • 7: 2B Jahmai Jones
  • 8: LHP Jose Suarez
  • 9: SS Kyren Paris
  • 10: OF D’Shawn Knowles
  • 11: LHP Patrick Sandoval 
  • 12: RHP Jose Soriano
  • 13: OF Trent Deveaux
  • 14: RHP Luis Madero
  • 15: RHP Jack Kochanowicz
  • 16: RHP Aaron Hernandez 
  • 17: RHP Chris Rodriguez
  • 18: SS Livan Soto 
  • 19: LHP Hector Yan
  • 20: RHP Oliver Ortega
  • 21: RHP Jeremy Beasley
  • 22: RHP Stiward Aquino
  • 23: RHP Kyle Bradish
  • 24: 1B/OF/LHP Jared Walsh
  • 25: INF Kevin Maitan
  • 26: OF Alexander Ramirez
  • 27: SS/2B Leonardo Rivas
  • 28: OF Michael Hermosillo
  • 29: RHP Robinson Pina
  • 30: SS Arol Vera 

Really high on Jackson and Paris

Surprised that Soriano is not a top 10 prospect, also Marsh should be in the top 100, Marsh has similar numbers to the 16th best prospect in the game (Kirilloff), Actually He has an higher OBP and OPS. His number's are also better that Estevan Florial. 

Soriano is on the DL..... But his number's are better than the number 83 prospect Hans Crouse, Actually if Soriano can cut down his Walk rate, his numbers would be that much better. Same with Yan, is number's are pretty good.  Both Soriano and Yan have similar ceiling to that of Crouse,a nd probably can be considered in the top 100, well Soriano probably

So that's at least 2 extra guys that should be considered in the top 100, and a 3rd in Yan who could be on the crisp.  

2 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Prospect pool is pretty meh. I’m hoping some of the young guys take a step next year

That's just what happens when you graduate talent. I love that in the past two years they've graduated Ohtani (can't take credit, but we will anyway), Buttrey, Barria, Ward, Canning, Walsh, Fletcher, Rengifo, and now Suarez and Thaiss.

Like anything else with young players, they all aren't going to pan out. So far, Ward and Walsh look overmatched. Some of them, like Thaiss, Barria and Suarez have been simply ok so far. Good players, but not huge difference makers yet. And then some have been jackpot, like Ohtani, Fletcher, Rengifo and Canning have their moments for sure.

I'm not sure how they compile their list, whether it is a vote or a single person, but there's a lot about it that I don't like. I mean, the gist of it is OK, but looking at it in detail, there are so many orderings that I just don't agree with or at least would quibble with. But this is all so subjective.

I like to take the approach--not as an absolute rule, but as a guideline--of ordering prospects based upon the degree that I value them or would trade them. So while Jared Walsh has already made the majors and has a much higher floor than Alex Ramirez or Kevin Maitan, who would I rather keep if a team asked for one of the three of my choice? I'd give them Walsh without losing sleep. Its a classic floor vs. ceiling thing. I like Walsh but ultimately he's an easy player to replace. In fact, the Angels have two very similar guys in Ward and Thaiss (OK, no two-wayness, which is what gives Walsh some of his value). But Ramirez and Maitan are young enough, and with enough upside, to be more valuable, in my opinion.

If you take out Adell, Angels appear to have one of the worst farm system in the league.

Remember when people laughed that Seattle had a better farm system than us and now it appears most people agree with that assessment.

I havent been very impressed with Eppler as I look over his accomplishments so far.

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

That's just what happens when you graduate talent. I love that in the past two years they've graduated Ohtani (can't take credit, but we will anyway), Buttrey, Barria, Ward, Canning, Walsh, Fletcher, Rengifo, and now Suarez and Thaiss.

Like anything else with young players, they all aren't going to pan out. So far, Ward and Walsh look overmatched. Some of them, like Thaiss, Barria and Suarez have been simply ok so far. Good players, but not huge difference makers yet. And then some have been jackpot, like Ohtani, Fletcher, Rengifo and Canning have their moments for sure.

That seems like a very optimistic outlook of things. That’s all I’m saying.

including Ward, Thais, Suarez, and Walsh in “talents they’ve graduated” is reaching 

3 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

That seems like a very optimistic outlook of things. That’s all I’m saying.

including Ward, Thais, Suarez, and Walsh in “talents they’ve graduated” is reaching 

Thaiss, Barria and Suarez being ok so far.

What game has he been watching?

8 hours ago, rageous said:

If you take out Adell, Angels appear to have one of the worst farm system in the league.

Remember when people laughed that Seattle had a better farm system than us and now it appears most people agree with that assessment.

I havent been very impressed with Eppler as I look over his accomplishments so far.

You understand that the Mariners are 10 games behind the Angels in the standings? Eppler was given the task of rebuilding the farm without a teardown (trying to be semi competitive) and not adding significantly to payroll. It's a much harder task. Organizationally I'd bet the Angels are still well ahead of the Mariners, talent wise. Plus, this year none of our high ceiling guys hit. A few of them have good years next year and we'll vault back up again. Maybe none will and we'll fall a little more. We have a lot of money coming off the books so the team will also be able to add talent in FA moving forward.

8 hours ago, rageous said:

I mean yeah, generally that's how farm systems work. Once the talent graduates, the system takes a hit. The last two years have seen Canning, Barria, Fletcher, Suarez, Rengifo, and Buttrey all become full-time regulars. That's 6 of our top prospects coming up and contributing in just 2 years. When was the last time we saw that happen?

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean yeah, generally that's how farm systems work. Once the talent graduates, the system takes a hit. The last two years have seen Canning, Barria, Fletcher, Suarez, Rengifo, and Buttrey all become full-time regulars. That's 6 of our top prospects coming up and contributing in just 2 years. When was the last time we saw that happen?

The problem is that most of the players that Eppler has drafted has not taken any step forward this year.

Other teams in front of us especially Oakland and Houston have brought up more and better talent and they are still much deeper in the farm system.

1 minute ago, rageous said:

The problem is that most of the players that Eppler has drafted has not taken any step forward this year.

Other teams in front of us especially Oakland and Houston have brought up more and better talent and they are still much deeper in the farm system.

That's what decades of suck will do for you.

Also, I'd argue that getting to the majors is the definition of "taking a step forward". Canning, and Thaiss are the biggest examples. Jose Soriano has taken a big step forward in the minors this year. As has Adell. 

It's only been 4 years since his first draft. He's added a lot of talent but it takes quite a few years to start seeing those draftees making any real noise.