• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

I'm sick of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

The whole thing feels played out. It was fun while it lasted, but I started to get Marvel Fatigue a few movies ago. Like many of my generation (X), I grew up on comic books - although was never a big fan of the Avengers, more of the X-Men and Silver Surfer (still waiting and hoping for a proper treatement of that dude).

"Phase 4" seems like the dregs. I'm sure I'll watch most of it--if only because of my daughters--and I'll probably be at least mildly entertained, but how many Gosh! Wow! Bang! sfx-laden battles can we watch and it still feel fresh? How many zippy one liners? The problem seems story - or the lack thereof, at least vital and interesting story that makes you imagine and wonder. They tease it occasionally, but for the most part it feels stale.

This goes for so much of film these days. Endless re-makes and re-hashes. I'm not saying "Where are the new ideas?" because there really aren't new ideas. But there are fresh takes; there are deeply evocative and meaningful stories to be told. Star Wars wasn't great because it was new--it was based upon Joseph Campbell's ideas of perennial, archetypal myths--but because it told the human story, and it told it in a way that hadn't been seen before, that sparked and awed the imagination. But in today's context, we get the cover band version called The Force Awakens and the identity politics pandering of The Last Jedi. 

Or maybe I've just getting old. I've been meaning to watch On Golden Pond...

I had a ton of Marvel Comic books back in the 1960's, spending my allowance on them, and in the summer, baseball cards. My Mom threw them out when we moved in 1968.

What they are worth today...don't want to think too much about it.

The Avengers, Fantastic Four, Iron Man were my favorites. 

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

They have been getting to PC lately for my tastes.  But yeah, I agree, the story is about the same for each movie.  Hero falls.  Hero gets defeated.  Hero finds some kind of inspiration, and rebounds.  Hero gets up.  Hero wins.  

You just described the plot of the entire Rocky series.

46 minutes ago, Tank said:

Marvel announced just last week that they’ve got ten more movies coming out through 2021.

Just saying.  But Black Widow.  Supposedly they are going to have Budapest in it.  But I don't see Jeremy Renners name anywhere associated with the movie.  How can you have Budapest without both Black Widow and Hawkeye.

On 7/25/2019 at 7:19 AM, the dude abides said:

Comic book movies suck.

I thought I was the only one that felt this way. I've never watched a single movie. The whole thing reminds me of the boyband era where I never participated and just had to bunker down and wait for the phase to die off. I haven't been to the movies in a long time because this shit clogs the theaters.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I thought I was the only one that felt this way. I've never watched a single movie. The whole thing reminds me of the boyband era where I never participated and just had to bunker down and wait for the phase to die off. I haven't been to the movies in a long time because this shit clogs the theaters.

This post is perfect. 

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

Yep, I don't watch them either and also go to the movies a bit less lately thanks to all the garbage they are spewing out lately. But if you look around you can find theaters that show some really great films. Lots of great foreign movies coming out last few years too. You just have to push through the forced-blockbuster comic book crap noise to find them.