• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Mariners @ Angels 4/20,2019 (Goodwin in RF)

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Just imagine how much more production the Angels would've got from RF if they didn't punt on any production from the RF spot on 20% (lefties) of the pitchers they face. 

You noted that for one of those years he was very good against them.  In one he hit .252 - fine.  The other year he hit .220 which isn’t great.  Im not sure how you describe all that as no production.  

I mean what’s your point man ? I feel like this is the twilight zone.  Most hitters hit one side better then the other.  I find those splits absolutely unremarkable.  The way you’re characterizing those years is wrong.  

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

The old me would tell you to do some research and then come back and eat your crow.  But that doesn't get anyone anywhere.

So here's this.  Kole Calhoun's three best seasons where you declared him a borderline all-star were 2014, 2015 and 2016.  So let's look at his numbers against lefties from those three seasons.

2014: .252/.322 - Not screaming that he's bad or anything, just not impressive at all, particularly when he's hitting 25 points higher and with more power against RHP.  But an underlying number here is that he hit .232 against LHSP.  Meaning the lefties that he saw the most, he did the worst against. 

2015: .220/.293 - That's not a borderline all-star at all.  In fact, that guy was just flat out useless against same side pitching.  But he did manage to hit .229 against LHSP, which is something I guess.  Still awful, just not as awful. 

2016: .290/.366 - When you look at the rest of his career, you'd think to yourself, "where the frick did that come from?"  He never hit lefties like that before or since.  But for one year, Kole Calhoun was the freakin' man against LHP.

Career: .237/.319 - Now if a guy was a total .237 hitter with middling power and not much speed....well let's just say his career would be short lived.  He'd be useless at the plate when you consider just how many younger, better players there are waiting in line to take his spot.  That's not Kole Calhoun.....that's just Kole Calhoun against LHP.  He always should've been a platoon bat. Against righties, he hit .256, which is acceptable, particularly when you factor in his defense.  A .256 hitter though, that guy can have a long career.  Just look at Curtis Granderson.  

The point is, Kole Calhoun was always a good player to have on hand.  The fact that he isn't hitting righties now is a new development.  That fact that he's inconsistent at best against lefties?  That's a career long pattern.  He always should've been a majority platoon player. 

@UndertheHalo See what I did there?  You just gotta read. 

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Yes Bour in LF. 

I should not have said “and” obviously one of Cozart or Bourjous would have to play. 

Yeah and that's why I stated that besides LaStella, what other guys would you replace them with? Bourjous has to play if Kole doesn't because there aren't other OF options unless you put Fletcher in left, Lastella at 2nd and replace Smith with Bour but a lefty is on the mound so Ausmus is going to try to get as many right handed hitters in the lineup as possible. I actually understand the lineup sans LaStella. I don't agree with you having Bour in the lineup and playing out of position. Just have to see how it goes.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

The old me would tell you to do some research and then come back and eat your crow.  But that doesn't get anyone anywhere.

So here's this.  Kole Calhoun's three best seasons where you declared him a borderline all-star were 2014, 2015 and 2016.  So let's look at his numbers against lefties from those three seasons.

2014: .252/.322 - Not screaming that he's bad or anything, just not impressive at all, particularly when he's hitting 25 points higher and with more power against RHP.  But an underlying number here is that he hit .232 against LHSP.  Meaning the lefties that he saw the most, he did the worst against. 

2015: .220/.293 - That's not a borderline all-star at all.  In fact, that guy was just flat out useless against same side pitching.  But he did manage to hit .229 against LHSP, which is something I guess.  Still awful, just not as awful. 

2016: .290/.366 - When you look at the rest of his career, you'd think to yourself, "where the frick did that come from?"  He never hit lefties like that before or since.  But for one year, Kole Calhoun was the freakin' man against LHP.

Career: .237/.319 - Now if a guy was a total .237 hitter with middling power and not much speed....well let's just say his career would be short lived.  He'd be useless at the plate when you consider just how many younger, better players there are waiting in line to take his spot.  That's not Kole Calhoun.....that's just Kole Calhoun against LHP.  He always should've been a platoon bat. Against righties, he hit .256, which is acceptable, particularly when you factor in his defense.  A .256 hitter though, that guy can have a long career.  Just look at Curtis Granderson.  

The point is, Kole Calhoun was always a good player to have on hand.  The fact that he isn't hitting righties now is a new development.  That fact that he's inconsistent at best against lefties?  That's a career long pattern.  He always should've been a majority platoon player. 

You guys yelled for Scioscia head when he tried to platoon Calhoun!