• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Rangers (April 16th, 2019)

Chuck

Goodwin sitting against a lefty. More Bourjos.... :( 

The thing I'm really looking forward to is Fletcher out of the leadoff spot and Barria. I hope he sticks around in the rotation, meaning he'll have to perform until Skaggs is back. 

Also, I'm about done with Calhoun out of the leadoff spot. I wish it didn't take a lefty to move him down. I would have went with Goodwin over Calhoun in RF as he hits lefties better. Calhoun is 1-15 against lefties this season, though his one hit left the yard. 

Lineup vs. lefty Mike Minor. 

1. David Fletcher (R) LF
2. Mike Trout (R) DH
3. Andrelton Simmons (R) SS
4. Albert Pujols (R) 1B
5. Jonathan Lucroy (R) C
6. Kole Calhoun (L) RF
7. Zack Cozart (R) 3B
8. Tommy La Stella (L) 2B
9. Peter Bourjos (R) CF

Is Goodwin really that bad against lefties ? It took them almost the entire season to drop the Ohtani bullshit last year.  I find it just extremely difficult to believe that there’s any circumstance that the Angels are better right now with Peter Bourjous over Brian Goodwin. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Is Goodwin really that bad against lefties ? It took them almost the entire season to drop the Ohtani bullshit last year.  I find it just extremely difficult to believe that there’s any circumstance that the Angels are better right now with Peter Bourjous over Brian Goodwin. 

Clearly... Scioscia is still making out the lineups.

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Goodwin is not bad vs lefties in the slightest.

Your suspicions are valid IMO.

@Jeff Fletcher thoughts on this?

Hahaha, everything is a conspiracy.

Opportunity for Peter to get more ABs to help assess future roster crunch/4th OF battle or snap him out of funk in a good park for offense, or because Pete’s got significantly better defense with a fly-ball pitcher in a fly-ball park, there’s a natural handed-ness match-up (righty vs. lefty), and Ausmus has the advantage of using Goodwin later in the game as a PH or PR in a key situation or a match-up that may be more favorable than starting him lefty v. lefty.

Edited by totdprods

45 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

No, Goodwin is MUCH better against lefties than he is against righties. Career slash line has him about .030* better BA, about .070* better OBP, and over .100 (from .763 to .893) better OPS against lefties.

*edit thanks to AoD

5 minutes ago, krAbs said:

No, Goodwin is MUCH better against lefties than he is against righties. Career slash line has him about .30 better BA, about .70 better OBP, and over .100 (from .763 to .893) better OPS against lefties.

this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Hahaha, everything is a conspiracy.

Opportunity for Peter to get more ABs to help assess future roster crunch/4th OF battle or snap him out of funk in a good park for offense, or because Pete’s got significantly better defense with a fly-ball pitcher in a fly-ball park, there’s a natural handed-ness match-up (righty vs. lefty), and Ausmus has the advantage of using Goodwin later in the game as a PH or PR in a key situation or a match-up that may be more favorable than starting him lefty v. lefty.

I think you're right. But I'm guessing Bourjos' time is running out. If he puts up another 0-fer how much more can we absorb on the offensive side of things?

I'm guessing since Rojas can play LF, 2B, 1B, 3B and hell probably even SS in a pinch and Goodwin can play all 3 outfield spots, we may see Jose up here soon. 

Through 8 games the local kid is slashing .379/.455/.552 with two bombs. 

9 minutes ago, krAbs said:

No, Goodwin is MUCH better against lefties than he is against righties. Career slash line has him about .30 better BA, about .70 better OBP, and over .100 (from .763 to .893) better OPS against lefties.

458 PA vs. RHP against 88 PA vs. LHP is not nearly similar enough to make a true assertion. 

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think you're right. But I'm guessing Bourjos' time is running out. If he puts up another 0-fer how much more can we absorb on the offensive side of things?

I'm guessing since Rojas can play LF, 2B, 1B, 3B and hell probably even SS in a pinch and Goodwin can play all 3 outfield spots, we may see Jose up here soon. 

Through 8 games the local kid is slashing .379/.455/.552 with two bombs. 

Well, we’re really thin on outfielders right now. Trout’s still DHing, Upton’s out awhile, Hermosillo is out, Adell is out, Parker is out...Calhoun isn’t hitting, and Goodwin, Puello, Parker, and Bourjos all don’t have options, so once they play in the bigs they’re here or risk being exposed to waivers. Add to that Marsh has stalled and the aforementioned plus Rojas, Walsh, or Lund would all require opening a spot on the 40-man, which is pretty hard to DFA from right now, it’s pretty easy to see why there isn’t much flexibility currently.

As much as Bourjos sucks right now, we aren’t really in a position cut outfielders, especially on flimsy data that doesn’t really suggest much difference between Goodwin and Bourjos in this particular matchup.

14 minutes ago, krAbs said:

True - if only there were a way to increase our sample size here...

Well, good news. We can!

Goodwin in the minors:

vs. RHP (2070 PA) .257 BA, .761 OPS

vs. LHP (875 PA) .225 BA, .697 OPS

He did perform better in ‘16 and ‘17 vs. LHP, but again, a big split in PA.