• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Thaiss

failos

40 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I LOL'ed at that one and then rolled on the floor for good measure.

Albert will start 110 games this year no matter what. 

31 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Everyone that was involved in Pujols getting play time are gone. He will suit up but he won't play that much.

Both of these opinions are exaggerated, IMO. AP will still get more playing time than his current abilities would dictate, but it’s extremely unlikely he’ll start that many games. He may play in that many if he pinch hits a bunch and stays he’s healthy, but if Ohtani is around, Pujols won’t be physically able to start that many games at 1B. 

13 hours ago, Second Base said:

Put this kid on the team and put him in the starting lineup. But really it's early. Let's not overreact. He should be up at some point this year though. 

That’s rich coming from the guy who wants to crown Ward as RoY and thinks Skaggs could win the Cy Young this season.

Edited by failos

34 minutes ago, failos said:

That’s rich coming from the guy who wants to crown Ward as RoY and thinks Skaggs could win the Cy Young this season.

to be honest, if you've paid attention to his comments on Ward, he has mentioned several times he thinks it will take a couple of years for him to adjust.  And he also said that Skaggs will get cy young votes or finish in the top 5.  

6 hours ago, Tank said:

So you’re saying I shouldn’t write in Thaiss on my all star ballots just yet?

People here are hilarious.  There is so much hyperbole about the Angels farm system, but ut ends when players actually perform, I guess (if this thread is any indication).

25 minutes ago, failos said:

People here are hilarious.  There is so much hyperbole about the Angels farm system, but ut ends when players actually perform, I guess (if this thread is any indication).

I wouldn't call a few early spring games "actually performing." Sure, it is good to see, but without looking it up, I'm guessing he hasn't been facing Scherzer and Chapman.

18 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I go back and forth on him.  I think he had a similar performance at the beginning of spring last year.  

It was a good call for him to change his swing in order to generate more power.  If he can combine that with a the higher obp he had earlier in his minor league career then I think he's got a solid chance of being an everyday player.  

I choose to believe Eppler on this one. He just doesn't strike me as the sort that would essentially punt on a first round pick just so he can go high on a second round pick.  Don't get me wrong,  his selections for the second round are probably the best in the business right now,  but it's also looking like his first round picks are up there too, particularly if Jordyn Adams ends up making good on that potential. 

But to reach by about 10 picks to grab a questionable upside first baseman that still has to learn the position and alter his swing just to end up being simply ok....I don't know,  I guess I just think Eppler is better than that. 

Matt Thaiss could very well end up being someone that comes relatively from nowhere to hit for average, power and reaches base.

I think my actual guess on this one is that he is the starting 1B come August,  but the performance will be similar to Fletcher least year in that he did good enough to be the favorite to win a job, but doesn't secure a roster spot automatically. And that long run,  he ends up sharing 1B for a couple of seasons with Justin Upton while Upton splits duty between 1B, DH and LF and both Marsh and Adell are in the outfield. Then once Upton is of the books, Thaiss will have the job to himself, right around age 27/28. Ultimately,  he ends up hitting .280/.350 with 35 DB 20 HR per season with solid but unspectacular defense. 

Basiclly, he's Eric Hosmer with worse defense. A good starter, but in any random year he's not an all-star. 

53 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I wouldn't call a few early spring games "actually performing." Sure, it is good to see, but without looking it up, I'm guessing he hasn't been facing Scherzer and Chapman.

Fair enough, I agree. Though, this kind of performance is encouraging; and these youngsters have been fun to watch this far.