• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Machado to Padres....

floplag

17 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Heres the thing about San Diego vs other city. As nice as SD is...its not like these guys really get out and enjoy it. I think some of you are a little out of touch with a MLB players schedule.

i'd guess it matters more if you have a family. if you're single, you can live pretty much anywhere.

Players do travel but their families spend more time in that home city.

Machado can have a palace in La Jolla or Del Mar.  That's hard to beat.

And players have winter months off.  It is not a stretch to say San Diego has about the nicest winter weather anywhere.

I think sitting outside at night in January by my firepit overlooking the ocean from my Del Mar mansion would be hard to beat.

9 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Players do travel but their families spend more time in that home city.

Machado can have a palace in La Jolla or Del Mar.  That's hard to beat.

And players have winter months off.  It is not a stretch to say San Diego has about the nicest winter weather anywhere.

I think sitting outside at night in January by my firepit overlooking the ocean from my Del Mar mansion would be hard to beat.

If he stays in SD in the winter. Most of these guys go home after the season.

Its always the team hanging out during the season...then november hits, guys bail for a few months, and suddenly its one or two guys from the team left, grabbing beers and working out with guys from rival teams for 4 months.

15 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

If money were no obstacle I would pick San Diego to live.  I could put up with California politics to live there.  Great city, incredible weather, beautiful beaches.

Its funny how SD is really just down the freeway from Anaheim/OC/LA, but not only a different vibe, but different weather.

I researched moving down their and getting a job, but am too much of a wuss for now.

9 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Its funny how SD is really just down the freeway from Anaheim/OC/LA, but not only a different vibe, but different weather.

I researched moving down their and getting a job, but am too much of a wuss for now.

I am trying to decide do I move out of state and retire at 57, basically ten years from now, or do I work until I am 62 and buy down in SD.  It is a very tough decision because I am someone who hates the heat, it is too hot in Norco and Chino the last two cities I have lived in.  That being said if I retired at 57 I would be moving to the desert of either Phoenix area or Havasu, maybe even Vegas.  The trade off of being hot and miserable is complete freedom from working at a young age.  Very hard decision that I struggle with daily.  Now if I get promoted in the next year or two, then SD is basically on the board as a real possibility sooner rather than later.  

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

I lived in North County San Diego for 2 years. I thought the weather was better in Huntington Beach where I currently live and grew up. Maybe downtown San Diego has better weather or whatever but in my experience, Huntington Beach is tough to beat.

I lived in North County SD for a total of about 12-13 years (Encinitas and Carlsbad).

I couldn't even imagine choosing to live in Huntington Beach over Carlsbad.

Could the weather in Huntington be 2% better?  I don't know.  I guess.  But the whole context of the conversation was reasons why choosing to live in San Diego for Machado.

Weather is great, of course, but my personal opinion is North County San Diego is better especially if you are filthy rich not needing to find a good paying job (more jobs in greater LA area obviously).

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I am trying to decide do I move out of state and retire at 57, basically ten years from now, or do I work until I am 62 and buy down in SD.  It is a very tough decision because I am someone who hates the heat, it is too hot in Norco and Chino the last two cities I have lived in.  That being said if I retired at 57 I would be moving to the desert of either Phoenix area or Havasu, maybe even Vegas.  The trade off of being hot and miserable is complete freedom from working at a young age.  Very hard decision that I struggle with daily.  Now if I get promoted in the next year or two, then SD is basically on the board as a real possibility sooner rather than later.  

Just my two cents, for what its worth. . .

The day you turn 62, you will either:

1). be glad you kept working and now get to retire and get to live in San Diego for the rest of your life, or

2). you will be pissed you are in Phoenix, so sick of Phoenix, and stuck in Phoenix for the rest of your life

3 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Can you just imagine the collective boner on 1090 that grew when they heard the Machado news?

San Diego has strictly become a minor league town.  Minor league hockey, minor league football, no basketball, not even MLS.  And their MLB baseball team would be 30th out of 30 teams as far as recognition.

And, yet, they've been in more World Series than the Angels, in fewer years of existence. Unfortunately, they went up against probably the two strongest teams in the last 35 years;  the 84 Tigers and the 98 Yankees. Bad luck for the great Tony Gwynn.

That last paragraph of yours is such a sports fan's perspective, not a player's at all. San Diego is a cool town. Great beaches, great marinas, great weather, great restaurants, great ocean and bass fishing, fun bars, great chicks, healthy vibe, relatively low crime for a city its size. In fact, it's the only city in the US with a population over 1 mil, that is in the top ten in lowest crime rate. Very laid back;  fans leave you alone in public. What's not to like?

Must be OC envy.........hey, the great Albert Pujols signed to play in fackin' Anaheim!!!! What a hoppin town that is!!

San Diego doesn't support many major league franchises because there is so much to DO in San Diego, outside. Tough to compete for recreational dollars with all that San Diego has. 

Strad, I have relatives that live in Havasu. You get used to the heat, with it being that dry. But their aint much in the way of culture there, unless you count Elks, VFW, Eagles Club, etc. No Costco, FFS! No real performing arts venues. But Vegas isnt that far.   And the lake is kinda small for the amount of recreation use it gets in peak season. Plus, the water is only swimmable from about mid June to mid October. There are good housing deals there, though. And it is a conservative area, which I suspect would appeal to you.

SD is too expensive to retire to, unless you bought housing much longer ago. I wouldnt get into that market, unless  you can pay cash for it and still have cash as a nest egg. Machado can do that, I believe.  And you would likely have to deal with, gulp, LIBERALS !!!!  

Here's a retirement tip. Check out Green Valley, AZ. It's about a half hour south of Tucson. It's at about 3000 feet elevation and is much, much cooler than Phoenix or Havasu. Great retirement area, especially if you are active. Pro sports about two hours away. This area is exploding, yet has good freeway access to Tucson. Cant lose money in that market, barring another housing collapse.

And you can bop on down to where I live in Mexico in about six hours...............you're dying to do that, right? LOL!

Talk to me, Goose!!! I'm a great retirement wingman. Been all over the West...........ferget east of the Rockies! Weather sucks, bigtime!!! Florida?? Fack, no!!! Too many snooty New Englanders in the winter. Crime ridden state, too.

47 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Just my two cents, for what its worth. . .

The day you turn 62, you will either:

1). be glad you kept working and now get to retire and get to live in San Diego for the rest of your life, or

2). you will be pissed you are in Phoenix, so sick of Phoenix, and stuck in Phoenix for the rest of your life

I get that, but it would also be giving up the 5 healthiest years of retirement.  My mom didn’t make it to 62, my brother didn’t make it to 45.  So retiring early is very enticing.  

3 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Strad, I have relatives that live in Havasu. You get used to the heat, with it being that dry. But their aint much in the way of culture there, unless you count Elks, VFW, Eagles Club, etc. No Costco, FFS! No real performing arts venues. But Vegas isnt that far.   And the lake is kinda small for the amount of recreation use it gets in peak season. Plus, the water is only swimmable from about mid June to mid October. There are good housing deals there, though. And it is a conservative area, which I suspect would appeal to you.

SD is too expensive to retire to, unless you bought housing much longer ago. I wouldnt get into that market, unless  you can pay cash for it and still have cash as a nest egg. Machado can do that, I believe.  And you would likely have to deal with, gulp, LIBERALS !!!!  

Here's a retirement tip. Check out Green Valley, AZ. It's about a half hour south of Tucson. It's at about 3000 feet elevation and is much, much cooler than Phoenix or Havasu. Great retirement area, especially if you are active. Pro sports about two hours away. This area is exploding, yet has good freeway access to Tucson. Cant lose money in that market, barring another housing collapse.

And you can bop on down to where I live in Mexico in about six hours...............you're dying to do that, right? LOL!

Talk to me, Goose!!! I'm a great retirement wingman. Been all over the West...........ferget east of the Rockies! Weather sucks, bigtime!!! Florida?? Fack, no!!! Too many snooty New Englanders in the winter. Crime ridden state, too.

I am in Havasu all the time, both sets of my wife’s parents have retired out there.  The heat can be oppressive but 8 months of the year the weather is outstanding.  

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I get that, but it would also be giving up the 5 healthiest years of retirement.  My mom didn’t make it to 62, my brother didn’t make it to 45.  So retiring early is very enticing.  

I get this completely. My dad and his dad died at 72. Neither was from lung cancer, though they did smoke for extended periods of their lives.

That's why I retired at 55. I left money on the table to do this, in terms of retirement. I'm now 65. I havent regretted it a bit. Nothing beats retirement!!!! 

If there are hereditary reasons why they died so early, DO IT!!!! 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

I get this completely. My dad and his dad died at 72. Neither was from lung cancer, though they did smoke for extended periods of their lives.

That's why I retired at 55. I left money on the table to do this, in terms of retirement. I'm now 65. I havent regretted it a bit. Nothing beats retirement!!!! 

If there are hereditary reasons why they died so early, DO IT!!!! 

One size doesn’t fit all, you have to make your own way...I’m 62 and always figured I’d be retired by now...but it’s different when you get there...just not ready to pull the trigger yet...it’s a challenge to make a plan and be comfortable with it....easier to keep working (only half joking)....

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

One size doesn’t fit all, you have to make your own way...I’m 62 and always figured I’d be retired by now...but it’s different when you get there...just not ready to pull the trigger yet...it’s a challenge to make a plan and be comfortable with it....easier to keep working (only half joking)....

I get it, and I’m one promotion from being able to retire early, but in a since have no reason to retire at that point.  

13 hours ago, DMVol said:

Truth that....but if their prospects are really that good, why not supplement them with more affordable FA's that create a well rounded team, also leaving some room to make a trade or sign more FA's....With Hosmer, Machado and Harper (if there is any truth there), they'll be signing nothing but minor league FA deals in a few years...

I am curious as to what people who know prospects think of the Padres' farm. It seems exceptionally overrated to me. Tatis is legit, for sure, but most of the rest of the talent seems young and untested (Gore) or simply didn't perform as well last year as the hype would suggest. @Second Base, you have any opinions?

10 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I am curious as to what people who know prospects think of the Padres' farm. It seems exceptionally overrated to me. Tatis is legit, for sure, but most of the rest of the talent seems young and untested (Gore) or simply didn't perform as well last year as the hype would suggest. @Second Base, you have any opinions?

Scotty has said a few times on here that their farm is legit.  He thinks they have plenty of great pitching prospects.  

11 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I actually agree that they've got some guys who are overrated but they are tremendously deep.  It's their pitching that is a fair ways away from being helpful at the major league level.   They're farm isn't going to lose any momentum this year in that they didn't lose a pick on the Machado deal and they'll be picking 6th overall.  

I feel like a lot of their younger guys have gotten noticed because their farm system has been noticed.  Almost like a bit of a momentum thing.  Gore is probably the biggest stretch but that has a lot to do with him being the 3rd overall pick two years ago.  

Even if 2 or 3 of their guys are a bit overrated, they still have the depth to be the #1 system.  

39 minutes ago, wopphil said:

The Padres have the most loaded crop of prospects I've ever seen, on par or better than the Royals group from 8 years ago, which fueled a World Series team. But we should keep in mind, I focus largely on a select few systems. The Angels, Padres, Rockies, Nationals, Blue Jays. The Blue Jays group prospects look really good in Guerrero, Bichette and Biggio. I like what the Nats have in Robles and Kieboom. The Rockies system produces strong hit tool guys, but they aren't developing any with plate discipline which is concerning. The Padres arms are going to be very good in my opinion, particularly when they're pitching at Petco. They legit have 15 starting caliber pitchers in their system right now, 7 of which appear to be mid rotation or better, 5 of owe will be ready in two years. And even if things don't swing their way, the most pessimistic outlook would indicate the Padres will have a strong homegrown rotation. Optimistic, you're looking at 90's Braves level pitching, or 2005 A's caliber pitching. And they've got more offensive firepower in the majors and many realize. Machado, Myers, Hosmer, Cordero, Reyes, Renfroe.....they can all hit. Tatis looks looks like a Machado level star to me. 

2019, Padres are probably an 80 win team. 2020, they're closer to a 90 win team. 2021 and beyond, that division should be theirs, unless the Dodgers spend at a level that far exceeds anything we've seen from them.