• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Machado to Padres....

floplag

35 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

You'd be surprised how many people love the frigid cold of Chicago.

Nobody with a choice spends winters in Chicago. I love Chicago as much as anyone, it's an awesome city. But comparing the two cities and especially the ballparks...there's no way I would choose the Cellblock and the South side over SD.

5 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Would they ? If I’m recalling correctly they had to win a playoff game to get into the playoffs.  If they didn’t have Machado maybe they lose some random regular season game that he was the difference in and they don’t make the playofffs at all.  Machado was a heart of the order bat for them for half the season.  He gets credit for being part of a World Series team. 

he went 1-4  with a meaningless single in that game 

he batted .227 in the playoffs

8 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Dude didn't even hustle in the World Series.

What do you think he's going to do in mid-July when the Pads are 20 games out?

It's funny how one play can define you when maybe it shouldn't... 

"Machado’s top speed, 26.3 feet per second, was the same in each of the past two seasons and up slightly from 2016 (26.1 second). Machado averaged 27.4 seconds in 2015, the first year Statcast cameras tracked player movement. His sprint speed split times, including his initial burst — his first 5 feet (0.55 seconds) — were also the same in each of the past two seasons." - Five Thirty Eight

MM Speed.JPG

7 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

This, exactly. The fact that they have all those great prospects is WHY you go get this player in free agency. I can't understand why some people think you're better off waiting for every chicken to hatch perfectly.

They now have $110 million payroll.  That is after signing Machado.  Let me know when they commit to payroll like Arte.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They now have $110 million payroll.  That is after signing Machado.  Let me know when they commit to payroll like Arte.  

Literally not even what I was getting at. My point is it makes a lot of sense for the Padres, in their very specific situation, to start spending money. We keep hearing about all their great prospects (which by all accounts THEY ARE great). But at the end of the day, that team lost almost 100 games last season. Does anyone really think every prospect is going to work out for them and somehow combine to make them 25+ games better in the standings by themselves? 

I certainly don't believe that is a safer bet than adding a star to ease the pressure.. And that's why adding Machado and 1 or 2 more proven players in their primes is a really good idea for them

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

Literally not even what I was getting at. My point is it makes a lot of sense for the Padres, in their very specific situation, to start spending money. We keep hearing about all their great prospects (which by all accounts THEY ARE great). But at the end of the day, that team lost almost 100 games last season. Does anyone really think every prospect is going to work out for them and somehow combine to make them 25+ games better in the standings by themselves? 

I certainly don't believe that is a safer bet than adding a star to ease the pressure.. And that's why adding Machado and 1 or 2 more proven players in their primes is a really good idea for them

No, that wasn’t your point.  Your point was to pretend the Angels are doing it wrong and that fans who preach patience are wrong in preaching patience.  That was your point.  

Just now, Stradling said:

No, that wasn’t your point.  Your point was to pretend the Angels are doing it wrong and that fans who preach patience are wrong in preaching patience.  That was your point.  

Strad, you are totally off base on this one. Re-read the beginning of my post. I said: "The fact that they have all those great prospects is why you go get this player in free agency.". 

I never once alluded to the Angels at all in my post. I can see how you think it was a shot, but it really wasn't. I was talking about people in this thread saying it's "typical dumb Padres", etc.