• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

Regarding the system and the pitching aspect of it. Who would you guys say has the biggest chance to have an impact on the Major league roster?either being involved in a trade or are part of the roster? not counting the guys that have made there debut.

Soriano? could he be our  Deivi Garcia  and has a big impact? Soriano has some of the better stuff in the system, but control as been a factor. 

Hernandez if he can get his control down

Crod if he's healthy

or is there some else

46 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Regarding the system and the pitching aspect of it. Who would you guys say has the biggest chance to have an impact on the Major league roster?either being involved in a trade or are part of the roster? not counting the guys that have made there debut.

Soriano? could he be our  Deivi Garcia  and has a big impact? Soriano has some of the better stuff in the system, but control as been a factor. 

Hernandez if he can get his control down

Crod if he's healthy

or is there some else

Difficult to say. Soriano has the second best stuff in the system in my opinion, but as you said, he needs to be more consistent in his control. If he irons that out, he's a top 100 prospect.

Rodriguez just needs to show he's healthy. His velocity isn't quite where Soriano's is, but he's showing a better ability to command his pitches which is super important. If he's healthy, he may be top 100 as well. 

Kochanowicz, from what I've heard and not seen (only in YouTube videos), can apparently pump it into the upper 90's, and was an absolute steal in the third round. If the Angels deem he's ready for full season ball, then I'm absolutely convinced he's going to be top 100 in short order. 

Hernandez is the closest. He finished the season strong and was downright impressive in the AFL, routinely sitting 93-96. But his shorter stature and inconsistent command make a transition to relief a possibility at some point in the next year or two. If he irons that it, Hernandez could be a Marcus Stroman clone, but that's a lot to ask.

Since FA pitchers are going elsewhere, and since up to TEN college pitchers are expected to go in the first round in the 2020 draft, do we finally see a college pitcher drafted in the first round by the Halos for the first time in several years? 

It's too bad JT Ginn (Miss. St. U.) will likely go before the #10 pick.    Plus fastball, curve, and change 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Brandon Marsh, OF (Angels’ No. 2A back injury wiped out Marsh’s pro debut after the Angels took him in the second round of the 2016 Draft, but since then he’s been a model of consistency, making noticeable gains while ascending the system. In his first Double-A campaign this past season, the 22-year-old outfielder produced a .300/.383/.428 line with seven homers and 30 extra-base hits over 412 plate appearances in the Southern League. He was just as impressive in the Arizona Fall League after the season, flashing legitimate five-tool potential, while posting a .909 OPS with two homers (8 XBH) in 19 games.

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospects-ready-for-big-seasons

18 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I haven't read all the way through that, but after Adell and Marsh, I'm impressed. Great write-up so far. Thanks for  posting it.

EDIT: OK, read/skimmed through the rest. Excellent write-up. The writer(s) definitely seem bullish on the Angels farm, with quite a few high-end prospects. Nothing terribly surprising, but some good info to round out our collective knowledge. A couple  things that stand out:

Adell/Marsh - seems right on, nothing new but good info.

Adams - loved this write-up, made me like him even more. I agree with their assessment that Adams should  spend the entire year in A+. No need to rush him.

Jackson - I feel a bit more bearish on him after reading this, and am surprised they  rank him 4th. High bust potential.

Jones - He's kind of becoming  a rather interesting prospect. Could turn out to be a bench player, or he could turn out  to be Ray Durham. 

Paris/Vera - These guys can be paired as high upside shortstops, who are young enough to be very volatile. 

Soriano/Rodriguez - love both of these guys, both potentially #3s or better. I want to believe in CRod, but I just have a suspicion he'll never be healthy. Tall guy  + bad back is not a good formula.

Kochanowicz - Highest upside pitcher in the system? Seems so.

Knowles - I like their description of him as a classic OBP leadoff hitter. I see a bit of a Brett Butler, maybe the OF version of Brock Holt or David Fletcher. Would be an amazing 4th outfielder. The Angels really have two sets of excellent outfielders: Trout/Adell/Marsh/Hermosillo, and Adams/Knowles/Deveaux/Ramirez, not to mention Holmes/Rivera.

Etc...

Edited by Angelsjunky

53 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I haven't read all the way through that, but after Adell and Marsh, I'm impressed. Great write-up so far. Thanks for  posting it.

EDIT: OK, read/skimmed through the rest. Excellent write-up. The writer(s) definitely seem bullish on the Angels farm, with quite a few high-end prospects. Nothing terribly surprising, but some good info to round out our collective knowledge. A couple  things that stand out:

Adams - loved this write-up, made me like him even more. I agree with their assessment that Adams should  spend the entire year in A+. No need to rush him.

Jackson - I feel a bit more bearish on him after reading this, and am surprised they  rank him 4th. High bust potential.

Jones - He's kind of becoming  a rather interesting prospect. Could turn out to be a bench player, or he could turn out  to be Ray Durham. 

Paris/Vera - These guys can be paired as high upside shortstops, who are young enough to be very volatile. 

Soriano/Rodriguez - love both of these guys, both potentially #3s or better. I want to believe in CRod, but I just have a suspicion he'll never be healthy. Tall guy  + bad back is not a good formula.

Knowles - I like their description of him as a classic OBP leadoff hitter. I see a bit of a Brett Butler, maybe the OF version of Brock Holt or David Fletcher. Would be an amazing 4th outfielder. The Angels really have two sets of excellent outfielders: Trout/Adell/Marsh/Hermosillo, and Adams/Knowles/Deveaux/Ramirez, not to mention Holmes/Rivera.

Etc...

I've been telling you for months that Kochanowicz has the highest upside and NOW you listen?

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Etc...

Funny when I read their Knowles write up I immediately thought of Holt too. Would be good to see that type of outcome with D'Shawn.

i also felt that ranking was a but bias towards the angels system, but i would not mind it from an outside source.

A few things that interested me. 

how much they value Marsh, i actually liked the Pence comp. Pence has a nice combination of power and speed, while being a 3-4 war guy in his prime. 

i think Jackson is going to be one those hit/miss prospect 

Jones i think next season is an important season. 

I have really really excited for Koch next season. When you consider the best arm in the system, its either Crod or Soriano but now it seems like Koch might/ have the chance overtake them.  

Outside of every prospect in our system, the most i'm excited for his Soriano! Depending on how he does in the minor's he could easy hit the big league's in 20 as a Bp arm. Command is the thing that's holding him back, but he reminds me alot of Servino, both were unknown prospect but climbed the ladder. Plus Fb and dirty Slider. The difference was Servino has better control.

i agreed with Crod statement you have made, i think health will be the big factor.

they are not as high on   Sandoval as some of us, but i can still see him developing in a solid 3, if he maintain that low to mid 90s FB. I also think Callaway  will help, especially slowing down Sandoval and maintaining his mechanism  

The last thing that i was surprised, with is from the pitching aspect, is how many guys we have in the lower system, that are still young and have already developed 2 plus pitches, or at-least 1 plus pitch and another that has shown flashes. In Aquino, Holmes, Ortega, Pina, Yan, and Hernandez. All of these guys have high upside, but also have high upside as a Bp arm (So we are taken care off that). all lack command and a 3rd pitch.  

Both Pina and Ortega are intriguing, especially Ortega, who could be in the Bp some time's next season, with a mid to upper 90s Fb and a solid Curve.   

I really like the bullpen seems this system has built up. Hernandez may yet be a starting pitcher, he was impressive to close the season and equally impressive in the AFL, a tough hitter league. But the stature, arsenal, and inconsistencies all suggest a move to the bullpen. His fastball will have some outings where it's sitting 92-93, and others where he'll sit 96-97. I have to imagine that in relief, he'll be borderline triple digits. 

Then there's Hector Yan. Throwing in the mid-90's as a sidearmer is pretty rare. Incredible movement on his pitches too. No doubt his future is in relief.

And Stiward Aquino still hasn't found his footing as a starter and it's fair to question if he ever will. He should still be given a chance in that role this year because of the upside, but a move to relief seems like a strong possibility. He's another power arm that could sit in the upper 90's. 

It's hardly a sure thing that Rodriguez and Soriano make it as starters, though I have faith they both can and will. But in the event one or both don't work out, then that's more firepower.

And here's an outside the box idea. Suarez for whatever reason lost his velocity last year. Throwing 92 over the plate as a lefty against predominantly RHB, is basically BP. I have to think Callaway will help him rediscover that velocity. But if it doesn't work out as a starter, Suarez sitting in the mid-90's