• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

8 minutes ago, sportstr44 said:

I think there's a darn good chance if all three stay healthy that we'll see Adell, Marsh and even Jones at the big league level in 2020. At the very least, as a Sept. callup when rosters expand. 

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think there's a darn good chance if all three stay healthy that we'll see Adell, Marsh and even Jones at the big league level in 2020. At the very least, as a Sept. callup when rosters expand. 

Jones will pretty much definitely be added to the 40-man in a few weeks to be protected from the Rule 5 - he almost immediately becomes our #5th OF as a result, behind Hermosillo, for depth purposes. 

With Fletcher, La Stella, Cozart, and Rengifo all ahead of him and capable of playing 2B, he might not get much of an opportunity there, even as depth, unless some trades happen, or a lot of bad luck. Wonder if we see him get more OF reps in SLC as a result. 

Adell will almost assuredly hit the 40-man at some point - even though he has an extra year before he needs to be protected. Marsh will have to be protected next winter, so no doubt he'll be a September call-up contender as he'll be close to being added anyways. 

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Jones will pretty much definitely be added to the 40-man in a few weeks to be protected from the Rule 5 - he almost immediately becomes our #5th OF as a result, behind Hermosillo, for depth purposes. 

With Fletcher, La Stella, Cozart, and Rengifo all ahead of him and capable of playing 2B, he might not get much of an opportunity there, even as depth, unless some trades happen, or a lot of bad luck. Wonder if we see him get more OF reps in SLC as a result. 

Adell will almost assuredly hit the 40-man at some point - even though he has an extra year before he needs to be protected. Marsh will have to be protected next winter, so no doubt he'll be a September call-up contender as he'll be close to being added anyways. 

they've got Kean Wong too.  Who'll play all over the IF at AAA.  So I could totally see Jones getting some reps in the OF this year.  

25 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

they've got Kean Wong too.  Who'll play all over the IF at AAA.  So I could totally see Jones getting some reps in the OF this year.  

Ah yeah forgot about Wong too. Yeah, they're just totally stacked at IF currently. In the bigs and theoretically in AAA. Rojas likely isn't in the MLB 2B depth picture, but he also could mix in. 

With Simmons, Cozart, and La Stella all set to hit FA at end of 2020, it'll be interesting to see how much of this depth they hold onto in the event all three walk, or if they pull from this surplus this winter or during the season to address needs via trade, or if any get number-crunched out, specifically Wong.

I'm thinking Jahmai is going to be dealt as soon as he has a higher value. If the AFL season has done that, we'll see him traded this winter. If not, deadline.

But I don't see him figuring into the teams future. He isn't as good defensively as Wong, Rengifo or Fletcher, he's the fastest of tge bunch but also gets caught stealing a ton, he's not the hitter than Wong, Rengifo or Fletcher are. He does have the most power of the bunch, but it isn't significantly more than Rengifo or Wong.

Jones, unless he hits his ceiling immediately, is redundant.

40 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm thinking Jahmai is going to be dealt as soon as he has a higher value. If the AFL season has done that, we'll see him traded this winter. If not, deadline.

But I don't see him figuring into the teams future. He isn't as good defensively as Wong, Rengifo or Fletcher, he's the fastest of tge bunch but also gets caught stealing a ton, he's not the hitter than Wong, Rengifo or Fletcher are. He does have the most power of the bunch, but it isn't significantly more than Rengifo or Wong.

Jones, unless he hits his ceiling immediately, is redundant.

Couldn't have said it any better. 

It's crazy that by the end of 2020, we could see a lot of this same definition apply to the infield, the outfield, and the rotation. 

By end of the year, the following players will have either played the majors, likely been added to the 40-man, or will be on the verge of being added due to Rule 5 protection - making them depth options for the following year. Most of them will have had a sufficient example of MLB playing time to get an idea of where they're at.

• Infield: Ward, Rengifo, Thaiss, Walsh, Wong, Jones, Rojas, Maitan, Soto, Rondon - Fletcher has surely proven himself now. 
  • Outfield: Hermosillo, Adell, Marsh, Lund - Knowles and Deveaux will be just a year behind too.
  • Rotation: Canning, Barria, Suarez, Sandoval, Gohara, Madero, Beasley, Ortega, Yan, Soriano, Rodriguez, Brady

That's how MLB-ready our farm is, on paper at least, between now and December 2020 - all of those names will be on the 40-man, or needing to be added. That goes to show just how young this team is about to be. 

And that there will be surplus, redundant prospect depth to trade from to address needs soon. You won't be able to find playing time for all of these guys, provided enough are healthy, to truly evaluate where they are or what they'll be, and cashing some in on trades will be inevitable.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Maitan, Soto, Rondon, Knowles, Deveaux, are all years away. Harder to say with pitchers, as they can sometimes advance quickly. If Soriano can develop better control and C-Rod just stays healthy, they could be on the cusp of the majors a year from now.

Maitan, Soto, Rondon, Yan, Soriano, and Rodriguez will all be candidates to add to the 40 man next winter though, as they’ll all be Rule 5 eligible. So even if they’re “years away” right now, if they wind up on protected and added to the 40-man next year, they’ll be *somewhere* on the MLB depth chart. If any of those hitters do well in A+, they’ll be candidates to be added, even if they’re a year away from really being MLB-ready.

Knowles and Deveaux will need to be added a year following. 

Dipoto is a perfect example of how strong that kool-aid can be. That dude was revered while he was GM of the Angels, so much so, that fans completely ignored what was right in front of their face. Completely bare minor league system, no international presence, the worst drafts any one has ever seen, Dipoto regularly traded away whatever prospects they had, including international bonus slots. And under his watch, the Angels emerge as a top payroll  team, yet fail to compete every year except 2014.

Just wrecked this system.

43 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Dipoto is a perfect example of how strong that kool-aid can be. That dude was revered while he was GM of the Angels, so much so, that fans completely ignored what was right in front of their face. Completely bare minor league system, no international presence, the worst drafts any one has ever seen, Dipoto regularly traded away whatever prospects they had, including international bonus slots. And under his watch, the Angels emerge as a top payroll  team, yet fail to compete every year except 2014.

For me, the saddest part of that chapter in Angels history was how the fan-base absolved him of every ill deed.  The venom almost always seemed aimed towards Moreno, or Scioscia and all the leaks to the press always pushed the JD narrative.  He really did a great job of selling himself and honestly -- it's an ability that will likely serve him well as a GM...    I think he came in and was possibly too ambitious, too full of hubris and it damaged the Angels in ways that weren't fully obvious until years later...   That being said, I genuinely believe Dipoto learned from his mistakes to a degree, he didn't gut the M's minor league scouts like he did in Anaheim and he's seemingly allowed their international guys continue to do their thing -- for all their failings the M's always had a robust international scouting department.   So, while I think he's learned from the past I also believe he's too enamored with being in the spotlight for his own good and I'm betting that will end up biting him in the ass....  again...

Mostly, I'm thankful he left when he did.   It was only going to get worse. 

56 minutes ago, Second Base said:

this is well said.