• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scott Radinski on Data and Bullpen

Revad

This article from Fangraphs by David Laurila discusses some of the Angels’ bullpen pitchers and their response to data.  Well worth a read.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scott-radinsky-is-bullish-on-anaheims-bullpen-arms/

Here’s the part on Buttrey:

Ty Buttrey: “The kid who came from the Red Sox, Ty Buttrey, has a big-time arm. He’s also got a big-time heartbeat. He’s got the makeup. He’s very simplistic — he doesn’t want to dive too much into the information — and I recognized that pretty quickly.

“I see him as a back-end guy. He could be closing, or he could be pitching in the eighth inning, or even the seventh inning, on a given night. That’s another subject I’m coming around to: do we really need a designated ninth-inning closer? I’m not sure. I think it might be ideal to have two or three guys who can handle the ninth. Closers are important. The teams that are really good have a Kimbrel. They have a Jansen. They have their steady horses. But could Buttrey be a closer? Absolutely. He’s got the arm, and he’s got the makeup.”

Ive been harping on the pen for some time now, and ill admit i think right now its in the best shape its been for a few years.  Epp made some very solid acquisitions last season to improve what was a dumpster fire in the early going.   
I do believe we could use a solid proven anchor at the back to allow Buttrey/Robles a little more time to develop and for Middleton to return healthy, but once those guys get to where they need to be we should have a good look out there.

The future of the pen is looking good, I think.  I don't expect Bedrosian to stick around, and I think the wheels are going to fall off with Parker eventually, but Buttrey, Robles, Middleton, Jewell and Jerez all seem like they'll be successful int he future.  And while I'm not counting on it, if Meyer and JC Ramirez can come back, and if we get enough SP depth to move Pena into the bullpen role, we'll have a lot of velocity and a lot of length to go with it. 

13 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

But the real question is, is it Day-ta or Dah-ta. 

well, since you asked.

data is the plural of datum.

datum is a latin word meaning, something given.

it's latin origin is dare, which means, to give, and is pronounced, dare-eh. like when a canadian asks you why you're going to do this crazy jump.

so go with, day-ta.

Nice read and thanks for sharing.  I don't think Billy spends on the pen quite yet.  I think when things are a little more set he'll go out and get that elite guy.  He doesn't spend on bullpens but he might spend on that one guy when it's clear our window is opening.  

Good news on a lot of these guys.  Buttrey, Robles, Jewell, Middleton, Anderson, Alvarez. 

Going to be interesting to see what Parker and Cam do.  Especially with Cam and the new pitching coach.  If Billy can get something decent in trade for Parker, I would let him go at this point as he's entering his age 34 season.  

Was a little bummed not to see anything about Cole and Jerez.  Clearly, Buttrey was the target in the trade.  Jerez is interesting though.  Kinda reminds me of Oliver Perez when he became a reliever.  Good stuff but seems to lose his way here and there.  

I don't think any metrics or coaching are going to turn Noe into a serviceable pitcher.  

I think Meyer is going to turn a corner out of the pen this year.  

And just so everyone on the board knows, Brett Hanewich will be next season's version of Justin Anderson.  In case they want to complain about us prospect folk not knowing about him.  

A couple other guys who could break out in the pen this year are Luis Pena, Jeremy Rhoades, Conor Lillis-White, Ryan Clark.  

7 hours ago, notherhalo said:

Has the BP always been the most underrated part of a winning team?

I would say yes, you never hear as much about it as other places but you could argue it was one of the main reasons for the Brewers success having Hader and the others out their shortening games, and one of the primary reasons the Dodgers did not win either of the last 2 world series even with dominant starting pitching.