• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How has Eppler performed so far?

Docwaukee

How has Eppler performed so far?   

57 members have voted

1. 1. How has Eppler performed so far?

You're a few months too early. This will be his most defining offseason to date.

- New manager (and probably coaching staff)

- Contract extension for Trout (hopefully)

- Keeping competitive while effectively rebuilding for another season or so (most likely)

That said, there have been good moves so far. Ohtani coming to Anaheim alone is a big mark in Eppler's favor. Given the apparent constraints he is working under, I don't have any major complaints against him, but I'd like to see what happens over the next three months.

i give him a 10, because i'm a realist. i realize he doesn't work in a vacuum, and there's a degree of some good luck needed for this team to make the post season. how much does a man have to exceed expectations in order to deserve an A+?

what he can control, he has excelled at, imo.

i love what he's done with the farm system in a short period of time. not only the new blood, but the development of players as well. does he deserve all the credit for that? probably not.

i love how he opportunistically snatched up more than our fair share of some nice foreign prospects.

landing ohtani.

i am really impressed by his comments and what i read about the managerial hiring process. i'm going to be ok with whomever they hire, just because of what i see they are looking for.

he righted this franchise, which was directionless and taking on water badly.

like i said in another thread, eppler is the man dipoto pretended to be. i only imagine where this franchise might be if we had hired him the first time over dipoto. there's a lot of pain and suffering we may have avoided. 

I gave him an 8, mainly because I think the hardest part of building a team is building the farm.  He seems to have hit gold with Adell and Canning.  The international signings appear to be nice looking prospects.  He used international money to bring on 2 or 3 of the Braves guys, including their number one guy from the previous year.  The Simmons trade was pretty amazing.  Cultivating an environment and report with Ohtani to make him choose us is remarkable.  He has also shown the ability to grab arms out of nowhere.  That being said, in order for him to get a 9 or a 10 from me he would have to do a better job of obtaining offensive players.  

Well considering he hasn’t had one season with the club playing .500 or better baseball it’s tough to say he’s done much good. 

This offseason and upcoming season will be his make or break. I don’t know how you can justify extending him if he has another season of below .500 baseball. 

He’s already been here for 3 years and we’re still roughly 2 years away from competing...

I gave him a 9 for same reasons that are listed above.

Heck, turning the farm system around with excellent drafts and trades warrants a 9 alone.  You include the Ohtani signing and the Simmons trade almost gets him a 10.  The signing of Valsucko and the lack of better position players is the reason for a 9.

23 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

I gave him a 9 for same reasons that are listed above.

Heck, turning the farm system around with excellent drafts and trades warrants a 9 alone.  You include the Ohtani signing and the Simmons trade almost gets him a 10.  The signing of Valsucko and the lack of better position players is the reason for a 9.

“and the Simmons trade”?

I really don’t know how the Simmons trade can be looked back on as a good one. We’re at least 2 seasons away from competing and we haven’t done anything with Simmons on the roster. Simmons only has 2 years left on his contract and he’ll be 31 turning 32 when his deal is up. 

Newcomb on the other hand has 5 years? Of club control left, is only 25 and is already becoming a legit starting pitcher in the league. 

Does Simmons make our team better? Of course but looking back we’d have been way better off keeping Newcomb. So imo you can’t pat Eppler on the back for this deal. If we were competing and making the playoffs during the last couple season with Simmons it would be a different story.

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

“and the Simmons trade”?

I really don’t know how the Simmons trade can be looked back on as a good one. We’re at least 2 seasons away from competing and we haven’t done anything with Simmons on the roster. Simmons only has 2 years left on his contract and he’ll be 31 turning 32 when his deal is up. 

Newcomb on the other hand has 5 years? Of club control left, is only 25 and is already becoming a legit starting pitcher in the league. 

Does Simmons make our team better? Of course but looking back we’d have been way better off keeping Newcomb. So imo you can’t pat Eppler on the back for this deal. If we were competing and making the playoffs during the last couple season with Simmons it would be a different story.

Questioning the Simmons trade would be like questioning the Trout extension because while he has been incredible we haven’t won with him and who knows maybe we could have signed better players with his money.  In other words it is pretty dumb.  

I have given him a 9 because I think he inherited a real mess of a farm system and has steadily been turning it around. I feel he has developed inexpensive bullpen options through excellent scouting and incorporation of analytics to identify key targets. He has tried to exploit marginal market inefficiencies to bring in talent like Upton (and then smartly extending him), Kinsler, Simmons, et al. His ability to turn certain relievers into starters (JC Ramirez, Felix Pena, Parker Bridwell) adds incremental value. Basically his overall approach to roster construction is excellent in my opinion.

I'll give him a 10 if he extends Trout this off-season.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Questioning the Simmons trade would be like questioning the Trout extension because while he has been incredible we haven’t won with him and who knows maybe we could have signed better players with his money.  In other words it is pretty dumb.  

I was about to post that very same thing.  Using the same logic, we should've traded Trout since we wouldn't be competing during his contract. 

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

I have given him a 9 because I think he inherited a real mess of a farm system and has steadily been turning it around. I feel he has developed inexpensive bullpen options through excellent scouting and incorporation of analytics to identify key targets. He has tried to exploit marginal market inefficiencies to bring in talent like Upton (and then smartly extending him), Kinsler, Simmons, et al. His ability to turn certain relievers into starters (JC Ramirez, Felix Pena, Parker Bridwell) adds incremental value. Basically his overall approach to roster construction is excellent in my opinion.

I'll give him a 10 if he extends Trout this off-season.

I can’t give him a 10 until we see results on the field at the major league level.  I understand when a guy like Canadian Halo won’t give him a good score because the results at the big league level haven’t been there.  

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Two different scenarios.

We drafted Trout. Trout is in a different world than Simmons. I have no problem with the Simmons move IF you’re going to actually try and compete but we didn’t. Eppler traded Newcomb and then went with a bunch of band-aids at other spots.

If we’re going to objectively look back on it we gave up a legit starting pitcher to acquire Simmons. When it comes time when we’re ready to compete again, we’ll wish we had Newcomb over Simmons.

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Bingo. Dumbest thing I have read on here in a while. If the pitching stays healthy we would be competing for the playoffs, should Eppler had known our entire pitching staff would hit the DL and said eff it, let’s just put Fletcher there and set ourselves up for failure. 

1 minute ago, TroutField said:

Bingo. Dumbest thing I have read on here in a while. If the pitching stays healthy we would be competing for the playoffs, should Eppler had known our entire pitching staff would hit the DL and said eff it, let’s just put Fletcher there and set ourselves up for failure. 

When the majority of your pitchers have a history of being injured... yeah it’s something you better take into account.

I’m guessing you’re in the “we’ve had such bad luck every season” crowd too smh

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Simmons has been about a 6 WAR player on average for the Angels.  There is a decent chance that Simmons ends his Angel career with more WAR than Newcomb accomplishes in his career.  

Hopefully he ages well because we’re finally going to need him when he’s 31-32

Just now, Stradling said:

We traded for the greatest defensive short stop in the history of the game when he was 26 years old, only to see his offense become pretty darn good.  We traded a good pitching prospect that had control issues.  

That was THEN this is NOW and if we’re objectively grading Eppler you’re allowed to use hindsight

Just now, CanadianHalo said:

That was THEN this is NOW and if we’re objectively grading Eppler you’re allowed to use hindsight

What grade did you give him?  So if Newcomb becomes average and injury riddled, would you then use that in your analysis of the trade?