• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why Trout would agree to an extension NOW.

floplag

Sorry this somehow posted too soon for those who saw half the post, lol...

I was going to put this as a reply in another thread, but i though it would get more visibility as a new thread.

Weve seen a lot of talk and opinions about trading Trout, and one comment that struck me was that there were zero reasons for Trout to sign an extension now, as opposed to next year or waiting it out till FA.  

And there is one reason he should sign now, and that is is he is truly serious about winning HERE. 

IF he is truly serious about winning as an Angel, and he believes in the plan the front office is trying to work, then signing now makes perfect sense.  It tells the fans, and more importantly other FA that the club may try to get to play along side him that he isnt bolting in 2 years.

Think about it, if you are lets say Manny Machado, and the Angels approach you about a 6-8 year deal or whatever, part of that appeal is playing along side Trout.  It certainly isnt becasue we are winning anything of late, so why would those guys come here knowing he might not be here in 2 years and the team goes into the shitter?

IF hes truly serious about winning here, he should re-up now to let the other players know hes going to be here thats its ok to come here and build something.  

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Uhh, because maybe next year he destroys his knee ?  Maybe he wants to get it over with ? 

There is risk assosciated with passing on potentially  380 million dollars of guaranteed money. 

Of course, but that the case for any player.  for Trout specifically given the Angels situation as an organization, it makes sense for the reason i started above.  Its going to be hard for the team to get real help for him if hes a sort of lame duck so to speak.

And yes of course if he cares about winning with the Angels, getting paid and having his situation squared away provides cost and roster certainty that helps the club. 

Theres a lot of reasons for him to sign now.  Both obvious and subtle. 

At the end of the day, Trout will be an Angel if he wants to be here.  Money isn’t going to be the issue.  If he wants to go east.  That’s what he wants.  There’s nothing the Angels can do about that.  Better to figure it out now and decide a course of action.  I think most everyone here agrees with that assesment. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Of course, but that the case for any player.  for Trout specifically given the Angels situation as an organization, it makes sense for the reason i started above.  Its going to be hard for the team to get real help for him if hes a sort of lame duck so to speak.

I keep missing your edits.  I agree.  Like I said above and I see you’ve said.  I believe that we’ll have a pretty clear idea by this time next year.  If he hasn’t signed, that probably bodes ill. 

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

And yes of course if he cares about winning with the Angels, getting paid and having his situation squared away provides cost and roster certainty that helps the club. 

Theres a lot of reasons for him to sign now.  Both obvious and subtle. 

At the end of the day, Trout will be an Angel if he wants to be here.  Money isn’t going to be the issue.  If he wants to go east.  That’s what he wants.  There’s nothing the Angels can do about that.  Better to figure it out now and decide a course of action.  I think most everyone here agrees with that assesment. 

Agreed, my post is more directed at why NOW matters overall in the larger scheme of things.   People had said there was no reason at all for him to even consider doing do, i disagreed enough to post this. 

For me its fish or cut bait time, i think the org needs to do what it needs to do with the priority on keeping him, but if he isnt 100% agreeable to that then they have to consider options which include dealing him and playing for 2020-2021. 

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I keep missing your edits.  I agree.  Like I said above and I see you’ve said.  I believe that we’ll have a pretty clear idea by this time next year.  If he hasn’t signed, that probably bodes ill. 

i dont know if we can wait a year to be honest, IF hes not staying, we lose a ton of value by losing another year under contract to whoever hes traded to.  Right now, we could almost ask whatever we want within some level of reason, next year, not so much 
We could literally get Atl or Phi top 5 guys... a year from now thats maybe 2.  Were never going to get full value, it comes down to making the best possible deal we can, and thats a very different proposition a year from now than it is now 

Just now, floplag said:

i dont know if we can wait a year to be honest, IF hes not staying, we lose a ton of value by losing another year under contract to whoever hes traded to.  right now, we could almost ask whatever we want within some level of reason, next year, not so much 

I’m just granting ample time for negotiation.  It may very well be something we have clarity on by the end of the year. 

There is also a chance that the death of his brother in law might make him realize life is precious and he may be more prone to get some guarantees in his life and sign an extension.  That may seem far fetched but it really isn’t.  Things like that can really put life into perspective.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

There is also a chance that the death of his brother in law might make him realize life is precious and he may be more prone to get some guarantees in his life and sign an extension.  That may seem far fetched but it really isn’t.  Things like that can really put life into perspective.  

That was my first thought too, but on the other hand, it may have made him see how he needs to be closer to home. We all know he is loyal to his family and hometown, and there is nothing like having to fly cross country in times of need to make you feel far away from all that is near and dear. He knows how that feels now.   

1 minute ago, NJHalo said:

That was my first thought too, but on the other hand, it may have made him see how he needs to be closer to home. We all know he is loyal to his family and hometown, and there is nothing like having to fly cross country in times of need to make you feel far away from all that is near and dear. He knows how that feels now.   

Even if he were playing with the phillies, that doesn't mean he wouldn't be on the road during a time of crisis. He would still have to make the same flight. I think for him, he wants to win but he also seems to have an incredible sense of loyalty. Being loyal to the team who drafted him especially when they are willing to essentially compensate him at that amount would be a tough deal to pass up.

44 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Uhh, because maybe next year he destroys his knee ?  Maybe he wants to get it over with ? 

There is risk assosciated with passing on potentially  380 million dollars of guaranteed money. 

If he destroys his knee the Angels are screwed big time. I don’t think any of us like long term contracts. 

Trout, and his family, just went through an incredibly traumatic experience. I want him to be an Angel for life, but right now let him grieve and begin the healing process. I think the Angels organization (family) are smart enough to know that, and are giving him as much support and understanding as he needs right now.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Yeah see heres anther thing, do we really want to give out the first half a billion contract?
I have huge reservations about that idea, i cant be the only one.  I get it were getting mostly prime years but at some point everyone becomes Albert. 

I'd be more inclined to go shorter term but bigger dollar value. How about 6 year 240M? Puts him here until he's 35 you could also structure team and player friendly buyout options for additional years. Don't make the gap so wide between them like 15M Buyout with a 25M option tapering off the older he gets after his age 35 season. That way if he shits the bed he still gets a very generous buyout option but if hes excelling or still playing at a high level, a 25M per year option  would still be good value based on production.

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

I'd be more inclined to go shorter term but bigger dollar value. How about 6 year 240M? Puts him here until he's 35 you could also structure team and player friendly buyout options for additional years. Don't make the gap so wide between them like 15M Buyout with a 25M option tapering off the older he gets after his age 35 season. That way if he shits the bed he still gets a very generous buyout option but if hes excelling or still playing at a high level, a 25M per year option  would still be good value based on production.

Youre talking about giving one guy almost the entire revenue from the TV contract.  
How do we build a team around that? 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No you aren’t.  The TV contract is about $130 million a year.  

Why was i thinking more like 270ish?  guess thats my bad.  Which also makes it even worse an idea though. 
You give one guy that much there is nothing left to build around it unless you have unlimited funds, which we do not 

26 minutes ago, floplag said:

Why was i thinking more like 270ish?  guess thats my bad.  Which also makes it even worse an idea though. 
You give one guy that much there is nothing left to build around it unless you have unlimited funds, which we do not 

I don't understand this point