• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Questions regarding with Fernandez

stormngt

From my novice perspective I have been impressed with Fernadez.  It appears he makes good contact.  He uses the entire field and doesnt strike out much (is 7 k in 58 ABs good?)

His average is good at 290 but has only 1 walk and three extra base hits.  

My questions for those who are more informed than I?

Does his minor league resume give hope for a better on base percentage and more power?  Or is he just a singles hitter who doesnt walk much?

Does he have a future?

Thnx for the feedback.

It's pretty weird to be hitting .290ish and have an OPS just hovering in the low .600s.

(I realize it's currently .656. Yesterday, it was .626, and he was still hitting just shy of .290.)

He's got a pretty aggressive swing, so it's kinda surprising he doesn't hit for more power or strike out more. I'll stick with my left-handed Yunel Escobar comp. Which I consider a good outcome, just unexciting.

Johnny Ray was one of my favorite Angels for a short spell during arguably the worst era of Angels baseball, after 1986 and before the homegrown group headlined by Tim Salmon began coming up, starting in 1993. The Angels were acquiring countless has-beens, from former All-Stars in their mid-to-late 30s like Daves Winfield and Parker, Eddie Murray, and Lance Parrish, to solid regulars in the latter part of their careers, like Ray.

I mentioned Ray both as a joke, but also as a hitter that I could see Fernandez being somewhat similar to. I do think Fernandez can hit .290ish in the majors, but with lowish power and walks. Like Ray. I think a best-case scenario is something like .290/.330/.420 with 15 HR, but a bunch of doubles. Not so bad for a platoon player, and a solid stop-gap. Even if he hits .270/.315/.390, he's much better than Valbuena.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Why is Marte still here?    Because he had ONE two hit game recently?   He also has a sub .600 OPS for the second straight season.

But, but, but he hit like .340 through the first 7 weeks of the season! If you project his #'s across an entire season he will hit more Home Runs and Drive in more RBI's than Juan Rivera!.. Who if projected across a 162 game season he would hit .290 35 130..Similar to the Austin Jackson and Chris Young suggestions..... They are burnt toast as well.

I love stats, projections and analytics what's the % of them that are correct?...12% guesstimations…..

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Johnny Ray was one of my favorite Angels for a short spell during arguably the worst era of Angels baseball, after 1986 and before the homegrown group headlined by Tim Salmon began coming up, starting in 1993. The Angels were acquiring countless has-beens, from former All-Stars in their mid-to-late 30s like Daves Winfield and Parker, Eddie Murray, and Lance Parrish, to solid regulars in the latter part of their careers, like Ray.

I mentioned Ray both as a joke, but also as a hitter that I could see Fernandez being somewhat similar to. I do think Fernandez can hit .290ish in the majors, but with lowish power and walks. Like Ray. I think a best-case scenario is something like .290/.330/.420 with 15 HR, but a bunch of doubles. Not so bad for a platoon player, and a solid stop-gap. Even if he hits .270/.315/.390, he's much better than Valbuena.

Fernandez can't hold Johnny Rays jock~

Currently, he has -0- home runs in 62 AB's and 63 plate appearances. Do the math across 500 ab's once he hits his first in MLB history and it will equal more BWood than JRay~ What is your explanation for his sudden burst of Gap power since we are talking 4 doubles so far and 34 in 537 PA's for his career.