• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Albert Pujols had been dealing with knee pain ‘for quite some time’ before surgery

8 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

What's a more taxing position 1st or 3rd? Ever play play baseball? Which one needs the more athletic player?

No, I'm just curious what methods were applied to come up with that "100xs" figure...stressed tested in a lab?  Mounds of statistics right at your disposal, I'm sure...

(I played 3B up to Junior College...it requires quick instincts and a strong, accurate throwing arm but isn't nearly as taxing as SS, 2B, or OF

Not that it matters in the slightest either way)

Just now, mulwin444 said:

No, I'm just curious what methods were applied to come up with that "100xs" figure...stressed tested in a lab?  Mounds of statistics right at your disposal, I'm sure...

(I played 3B up to Junior College...it requires quick instincts and a strong, accurate throwing arm but isn't nearly as taxing as SS, 2B, or OF

Not that it matters in the slightest either way)

So you would say 1st is the least taxing on all the positions?

3 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Josh Donaldson is almost 33. Wright is 35. Also, Beltre has been worth every penny of that contract. He should have and wanted to be an Angel but Arte balked at that 6th year option. 

Beltre is taking steroid suppliments from getting one of his testicles removed. That suppliment isn't tightly regulated by MLB since it is doctor prescribed outside of MLB control. So Adrian is rolling with a mid 20 year old testosterone levels while all of his contemporaries aged naturally. He is not a valid comparison.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I’d say they are involved in far more plays than the third baseman.  Taxing?  They throw the ball across the diamond more.  

Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols are my prime examples of 1st basemen. Really athletic guys who play baseball. 

7 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

So you would say 1st is the least taxing on all the positions?

No, I wouldn't say that because I've never played 1B...you're making assumptions.

I can say 3B, for me personally, was less taxing than CF, SS, and 2B through little league, pony league, high school...none of which I played at an elite level.

I have no conception of the toll playing 1B at an near-elite defensive level for 150+ games a year over a decade has on a player's body but I doubt it's "100xs" less though.  

But, hey, I never claimed to be an expert in these matters.

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Uh huh, and?

Being heavy has a lot to do with body breaking down. Stop getting into the weeds of the argument. Pujols is not in great shape, hence body breaking down more. If you want to tell me that his body is breaking down because of the taxing nature of 1st base than I don't know what to tell you. Baseball is the least taxing sport out of the major sports in my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Being heavy has a lot to do with body breaking down. Stop getting into the weeds of the argument. Pujols is not in great shape, hence body breaking down more. If you want to tell me that his body is breaking down because of the taxing nature of 1st base than I don't know what to tell you. Baseball is the least taxing sport out of the major sports in my opinion. 

It is kind of the least taxing sport until you factor in the fact they play every single day.  And there are very few 38 year old basketball of football players.  

2 hours ago, Kevinb said:

I don't make him out to be a villain because he is getting paid a lot of money. It is what it is Arte offered him the contract, he would be stupid not to have taken it. People's bodies break down all the time sure. But weight has a lot to do with it, being in shape has a lot to do with it, yes wear and tear has a lot to do with it. Josh Donaldson has been injured this year. Other than that look at his numbers. Beltre plays 3rd base which is maybe 100 times more taxing than it is then playing first but he also isn't very "lean". Miguel as well played 3rd base the majority of his career till swapping to 1st. Have you looked at Miguel, it isn't as though he has gotten smaller. Pujols has played 1st base or DH the entire career. That isn't taxing. I get it working out is hard, and losing weight is a bitch. I've dealt with it with injuries that have flared up because I gained weight then dropped it and feeling 1000% times better. Baseball players specifically aren't as athletic as the other major sports, but keeping their bodies in excellent shape will detract from a lot of these nagging injuries like his knee and plantar problems. Will it fix every single problem maybe? maybe not? But Pujols isn't in fantastic shape for his age and as a professional athlete. Dude can barely run to first base. There are tri athletes who have more wear and tear on their bodies doing all that stuff who can move better than him. It is simply a matter of care and not care.  

Miguel Cabrera became a full time 1b at age 25.   He moved back to third after the Tigers signed Fielder and yet he's still played almost twice as many games at 1b than he has at third.   BTW.... AP used to be an OFer (300 plus games) and played over 100 games at third...  His body got soft mostly due to the injuries, not the other way around.   You're grasping at straws trying to argue a position that really can't be factually supported. 

The dude got old...  The end.

1st base doesn't require the level of athleticism that the other positions require, but that doesn't mean it's easy or not stressful on the body. 

You ever tried doing a full stretch when you weigh 240+ pounds? Or even being thin? F*ck that shit. Not to mention it requires a shit ton of hand-eye coordination, but that's not the argument. 

His body is breaking down because he's 38 years old and he's been playing professional sports for 19 years.

Btw...  Do people believe a 1b just stands at the base and waits for the throw?...   They might be the only position that actually runs on every ball hit on the ground.   Start, stop, stretch....   Pretty much happens on every put out at 1b.   Taxing?  No...  Repetitive?  He'll yes....   Hes got a shit ton of miles on those legs and the only people who can't see it never actually played baseball at competitive levels

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Btw...  Do people believe a 1b just stands at the base and waits for the throw?...   They might be the only position that actually runs on every ball hit on the ground.   Start, stop, stretch....   Pretty much happens on every put out at 1b.   Taxing?  No...  Repetitive?  He'll yes....   Hes got a shit ton of miles on those legs and the only people who can't see it never actually played baseball at competitive levels

This was my point. 

On 8/30/2018 at 8:40 AM, AngelsWin.com said:

SHOEMAKER CLOSE

Matt Shoemaker will join the Angels and throw a bullpen session, which could be the final step before he returns to the rotation.

“If all goes well, we’ll see if we can’t get him into our rotation early next week sometime,” Scioscia said Thursday.

Monday is the most likely day, because it would be five days after his rehab outing at Class-A Inland Empire, and also because the Angels don’t otherwise have a starter who could pitch that game.

Shoemaker started one game this year, and then he went on the disabled list with what he said was the same injury that cost him the second half of last year. He said the injury – a split pronator tendon – couldn’t be discovered by imaging. In May, he underwent exploratory surgery in precisely the spot where he felt the pain. Previously, doctors believed it was a radial nerve issue.

what a refreshing thing this would be to have him in back in the lineup. i have no idea what to expect from him, but if this puts and end to our fabled bullpen games, sign me up.

best wishes, shoe.

Note the part where trout gives kudos to albert playing through it. One of the reasons the clubhouse and management like him.

Yes, i agree, its silly and hurts the team more than helps.

But over the years theres been a handful of guys who wore out their welcome nursing injuries, and had to go. Same as guys who werent doing all they could to get better when injured. I remember watching one of the current coaches and 2 other players destroy one of our better pitchers (still on the team) once for drinking a soda instead of water, while everyone else was drinking beer. No pun intended, but for the dehydration thing.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

But I would argue the cumulative effect is about the same.  

You would argue the cumulative effects of a baseball player is the same as a football player or hockey player who gets hit by someone on every play? or a basketball player who is running up and down the court for 40 minutes and jumping. Please he's running on every play but he is running 3 feet back and forth. The guy can barely make it to first base on a double. Come on yes baseball is difficult but to even try to compare it to the other major sports. Come on. F*ck soccer you are running constantly for 90 minutes. He is standing at third base for 3 outs then sitting down in a dugout while his team bats. and he bats once every 8 guys. It is a more taxing sport then golf but calm down on comparing it to any of the other major sports.