• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler's New BP Guys

Talking about McGuire, Robles, and Cole.

McGuire has been surprisingly effective out in the spot starter roll.  He had a really good year in 2017 in the Cincy farm system and looks like what we've been seeing lately might not be a fluke.  Obviously, once Tropeano and Ohtani are healthy, he won't be starting but he looks like he could be an effective long man and keep a tiring Noe Ramirez to 1 inning appearance.

Robles has had issues with walks in the past (around 4.5/9) that have yet to manifest themselves and he can get people to swing and miss.  He's no All Star but he doesn't need to be...he just needs to pitch a clean 7th inning every now and then.

Cole is also another one who can get some swings and misses and this is his first real year as a reliever.  

Anyone have any info on these guys?  Is this only a mirage with options?

Thoughts?

They can all miss bats. Every reliever is a ‘chip in’ sort. We have no one dominant that you trust for a big spot. That’s not coming soon. Could they be the last three pen guys?  Sure. But Robles pitched the eighth with a one run lead. I’m not overly confident in him coming out of that unscathed 8/10 times. Same for the others. 

The best seasons I remember had dominant pens. We’re 5 guys away from having that 

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

They can all miss bats. Every reliever is a ‘chip in’ sort. We have no one dominant that you trust for a big spot. That’s not coming soon. Could they be the last three pen guys?  Sure. But Robles pitched the eighth with a one run lead. I’m not overly confident in him coming out of that unscathed 8/10 times. Same for the others. 

The best seasons I remember had dominant pens. We’re 5 guys away from having that 

I think this is a little dramatic. Parker and Anderson are decent for 6th and 7th inning roles. If they had a legit closer and maybe one more reliever they could trust to go to in high leverage situations this would be a good bullpen. I see it as being 2 legit relievers away. 

A note about Robles: he pitched better in that one game where it was a leverage situation instead of the mop up duty where he usually gives up alot of runs.

Some guys are very dominant in non leverage situations like Bedrosian while others it needs to be a leverage situation in order to mentally pitch better.

Can McGuire move into the role Petit had a year ago?

Robles seems to have gotten his feet on the ground since stranding the bases loaded in Seattle?

Anderson has been improving, that is a nice slider.   Still is somewhat shaky, but far more confident in him facing MLB batters lately.

Parker needed to be dialed back in this series, a lot of work already this year.

With Skaggs and Tropeano both due back in the next week, Pena is also going to be available as a reliever soon, although the Angels may want to keep him stretched out as starter depth in case of another injury.

Jim Johnson too.

They ought to be able to find a decent 7 out of all that. I also still think they will get one via trade. Not a closer. Just a David Hernandez type who is under control for next year too.

Just for more of a deeper dive into the recent BP performance:

Justin Anderson - Since getting smacked around in TOR for 3 runs on 06/23, he's gone: 5.1 IP 3 H 1ER 0 BB 5 K

The key for him will be minimizing the walks as 5.6 BB/9 this season has really hurt the good 11.7 K/9 and has contributed to his 1.546 WHIP.  Right now, he has opponents hitting .250 .366 .708 OPS against him, with the wide divergence between avg and OBP being a result of the walk.  If he can reign in his control, you'll see the average against go down as less runners will be on base in the inning.

Hansel Robles - Overall with the Angels, he's put up 3.52 ERA 1.172 WHIP 122 ERA+ 7.2 IP 2 BB 9 K but it's the recent performance that's stood out: 5.2 IP 3 H 1 ER 1 BB 7 K

He's has always struck out more guys than innings pitched but it's been the walks and hits than have hurt him at the MLB level.  Interesting addition for so far so we'll see if the trend continues

Deck McGuire - His numbers with the Angels are gaudy, but some of that is the result of being used as a starter of necessity.  First coming in for an injured John Lamb in Boston and being asked to eat some innings (4 IP) on the road and then used in consecutive starts since.  In the start against Baltimore, he tossed 3 solid innings (3 IP 1 H 1 BB 3 K) but hit a wall in the 4th (0.1 IP 4 H 2 HR 5 ER - 2 scored after he left - 1 BB 1 K), so Mike decided not to push him past the 3 IP mark in his start against LAD and got solid results (3 IP 1 H 0 ER 2 BB 6 K).  He pitched as a starter for Cincy's AAA team in 2017 and had a really good season prior to being called up (2.63 ERA 1.083 WHIP 168.0 IP 57 BB 170 K) so, while he may be just a swing starter to give you 3 or 4 innings, he could perhaps pitch an effective 6th and 7th inning in a game to get up to Anderson/Parker.

Cam Bedrosian -  After getting roasted for 4 ER in DET, he's gone: 16 IP 13 H 1 ER ( HR) 6 BB 17 K 1.188 WHIP - which has dropped his ERA from 5.01 to 3.20 

While he's not really being considered a closer candidate anymore, if he can maintain his numbers somewhat, he'd be a solid middle relief option and he's still under club control until 2022.  Could be worse.

Taylor Cole -  Taylor is a converted starter who had battled injuries in the past and sat out a good chunk of time last season due to fractured toe.  Although he's got knocked around a bit at SLC, as pitchers often are, he put up a solid 10.4 K/9.  Out of necessity, he's now in the Angels BP and put up a 6.1 IP 3 H 2 ER 2 BB 8 K 0.789 WHIP 

It will be interesting to see how he develops with more appearances.  Recent performance suggests the 10 K/9  should be sustainable/realistic so the question becomes will 3.7 BB/9 resurface at some point?

Blake Parker - After getting knocked around in back-to-back appearances in mid-June, Parker has put up 7.1 IP 3 H 0 ER 0 BB 4 K

He hasn't been as dominant as last season, but, even if he isn't really closer material, a set-up man pitching 2.91 ERA 1.131 WHIP 139 ERA+ 2.7 BB/9 10 K/9 is not too shabby.  The only minor warning issue is he's not missing as many bats recently but, as long as he's betting outs

Jose Alvarez -  He's a strange case as it always "feels" like he's got knocked around but, then you look, as he's put up 2.87 ERA 1.195 WHIP 141 ERA+

Not dominant but effective, he's a solid middle reliever made more valuable as being the only lefthanded pitcher.  

Noe Ramirez - Possible victim of fatigue?  After a decent start, he's given up 8 HR since June 1st after giving up only 1 in April/May.  His 11.6 K/9 shows he can miss some bats but he should probably be given some time off to recharge

Felix Pena - Since being tapped as a starter, he's gone 19.2 IP 18 H 6 ER 6 BB 25 K and has bumped his innings up 5 per start.  Angels are prepped to get both Skaggs and Tropeano back soon which means he''ll be valuable depth.

In a couple of weeks we could see a roster of:

Starting Rotation: Skaggs, Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, and Barria

Bullpen Options: Cole, McGuire, Robles, Anderson, Bedrosian, Ramirez, Pena, Alvarez, Parker

That's 14 options on a 25 man roster meaning someone is getting sent down or released

Our bullpen has been doing well of late. They had a similar April, where all of them seemed to pitch effectively at the same time.

Hopefully it lasts, but I'm skeptical about these guys who have questionable track records. I want to see them all finish out the season relatively strong before I have trust in them.

Just now, The Boogie Man said:

What’s crazy is how many of these guys had any of us even heard of prior to spring training?  

I think that's probably the point of Eppler's approach.

Prior to 2016/2017, I'd never heard of J.C. Rmairez, Blake Parker, Noe Ramirez, Blake Wood or Noe Ramirez but they were found and used at minimal cost while more expensive, "known" options are floundering.

I recall vaguely hearing that they got Robles but didn’t think anything of it.  Also didn’t think anything of McGuire.  Thought he’d be bad.  I mean this group we haven’t seen enough of to be too confident in but they look decent from what we’ve seen.  Definitely better then Parades and that black dude we got from Atlanta.  Sorry can’t remember his name.  This Cole guy also seems less worthless but who knows.  We’ve seen him what ? Like 2 or 3 times. 

Anyway, its always like this with bullpens.  Sometimes you think you’ve got something great and it’s terrible and sometimes you think you’ve got nothing and it works out great.  It’s impossible to figure out.  It’s why it doesn’t make any sense to spend a bunch of money of middle relievers.  The only ones it’s justifiable for are legitimately established back end guys.  8th inning guys less so but I think the argument can be made.  I think the Dodgers fucked up with Morrow for example.  But definitely good 9th inning guys are worth investing in.  I’ll keep using the Dodgers as an example.  They did well to keep Jensen around. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

8 hours ago, Taylor said:

Our bullpen has been doing well of late. They had a similar April, where all of them seemed to pitch effectively at the same time.

Hopefully it lasts, but I'm skeptical about these guys who have questionable track records. I want to see them all finish out the season relatively strong before I have trust in them.

It’s never been terrible like the narrative here said.  We have some good arms that’s are over used.  That’s the problem. We’ve had way too many short outings from starters.  Partially to be expected with the injuries our group of starters are returning from.  I’m not trying to give Eppler a pass.  I think he could have done better getting the group of pitchers together.  But sometimes what makes sense is seeing what you have and letting the chips fall.  You just have to see what you have.  Anyway, with the usage guys like Ramirez and Alvarez have had.  It’s pretty predictable they’d have bumps in the road. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I'm looking forward to the starters pitching deeper into games next season, now that they've all had a year under their belts after returning.   Except that Ohtain, if not needing TJS, will still need to be handled with care in having only pitched under 100 innings combined these past two seasons in Japan and here. 

Anderson, Robles, McGuire, and Pena all have good stuff.   Parker has the nasty splitter.   BedRock Jr. is pitching like BedRock over the past 6 weeks.

As up and down as the results have been, maybe Eppler's bullpen strategy is a solid one in today's era of turbulent pens.   The one constant though is the need to have a rock solid closer.   Look at the A'th with Treinen, and his 0.81 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, and 22 saves.   That has to be one of the biggest reasons they are a hugely surprising 50-40. 

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'm looking forward to the starters pitching deeper into games next season, now that they've all had a year under their belts after returning.   Except that Ohtain, if not needing TJS, will still need to be handled with care in having only pitched under 100 innings combined these past two seasons in Japan and here. 

Anderson, Robles, McGuire, and Pena all have good stuff.   Parker has the nasty splitter.   BedRock Jr. is pitching like BedRock over the past 6 weeks.

As up and down as the results have been, maybe Eppler's bullpen strategy is a solid one in today's era of turbulent pens.   The one constant though is the need to have a rock solid closer.   Look at the A'th with Treinen, and his 0.81 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, and 22 saves.   That has to be one of the biggest reasons they are a hugely surprising 50-40. 

Well the A’s also have a line up that isn’t populated by 4 or 5 low .600 OPS or worse guys every night.  They can hit.  We cannot.  I don’t mean to toot my horn but I’ve been saying this the entire season.  The Angels main problem is terrible hitting.  Among others.  But no team is perfect. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

5 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

It’s never been terrible like the narrative here said.  We have some good arms that’s are over used.  That’s the problem. We’ve had way to many short outings from starters.  Partially to be expected with the injuries our group of starters are returning from.  I’m not trying to give Eppler a pass.  I think he could have done better getting the group of pitchers together.  But sometimes what makes sense is seeing what you have and letting the chips fall.  You just have to see what you have.  Anyway, with the usage guys like Ramirez and Alvarez have had.  It’s pretty predictable they’d have bumps in the road. 

This looks like something I would write.

6 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

I think that's probably the point of Eppler's approach.

Prior to 2016/2017, I'd never heard of J.C. Rmairez, Blake Parker, Noe Ramirez, Blake Wood or Noe Ramirez but they were found and used at minimal cost while more expensive, "known" options are floundering.

Noe Ramirez is so forgettable you already forgot about him mid sentence before remembering again

9 minutes ago, NachoPop said:

Noe Ramirez is so forgettable you already forgot about him mid sentence before remembering again

Interesting Noe stats:  

Only one HR was allowed in his first 32.1 innings, BUT he's allowed EIGHT HRs in his past 17.1 innings since June 1.   No wonder his ERA climbed from 3.34 at the end of May to 4.53 currently.    Although what's crazy is that since June 1, his WHIP is only around 1.10 yet his ERA is around 6.75.   Clearly fatigue?

Even stranger, his 3.34 ERA through May 31 was accompanied by a 1.42 WHIP.   The WHIP is much better since June 1, but the ERA since June 1 sucks!

6 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Well the A’s also have a line up that isn’t populated by 4 or 5 low .600 OPS or worse guys every night.  They can hit.  We cannot.  I don’t mean to toot my horn but I’ve been saying this the entire season.  The Angels main problem is terrible hitting.  Among others.  But no team is perfect. 

I wouldn’t use the word terrible ... average sounds about right. Angels have out scored Seattle so far this season. The A’s have out scored the Angels by 24 Runs. 

A’s rank 5th in the AL

Angels rank 7th in the AL

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

I wouldn’t use the word terrible ... average sounds about right. Angels have out scored Seattle so far this season. The A’s have out scored the Angels by 24 Runs. 

A’s rank 5th in the AL

Angels rank 7th in the AL

Whatever you say dude. 

In my opinion, night in night out our offense is dog shit.  Regardless of the totals that are buffed up by the weeks worth of double digit games we had in April.  

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Whatever you say dude. 

In my opinion, night in night out our offense is dog shit.  Regardless of the totals that are buffed up by the weeks worth of double digit games we had in April.  

Well in the last 28 days (24 games) the A’s have outscored the angels by 1.5 runs per game.