• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Upton’s poor RISP hitting

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

His career RISP numbers:

..257/.359/.461/.820

This season:

.160/.263/.333/.596

WTF is his problem this season?

The Angels have been one of the most unclutch teams in MLB...     Check this article out -- it's about the Ms being totally clutch, but the graphs do a good job of showing how the Angels have failed there...  https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-mariners-are-trying-to-be-the-clutchiest-team-on-record/

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Angels have been one of the most unclutch teams in MLB...     Check this article out -- it's about the Ms being totally clutch, but the graphs do a good job of showing how the Angels have failed there...  https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-mariners-are-trying-to-be-the-clutchiest-team-on-record/

Who knows what causes that. But if i were to guess, id say its all about confidence.

If youre on a streaking team, you play loose. You can screw up and it wont be magnified, because the team as a whole is good. 

If youre upton (or anyone else), youre under so much pressure to do SOMETHING, because youre one of like 3 or 4 guys who has a chance.

Same as with our pitchers. Its tough to ask these guys repeatedly to hold 1 and 2 run leads, especially with a shitty bullpen.

12 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Choosing Upton over JD Martinez is going to be one of our biggest fails ever.

That is fan narrative.  We have no idea if JD comes here for similar money.  He started out wanting twice what he got.  Don’t forget he also has an opt out after next year that he will almost certainly use.  

1 minute ago, The Boogie Man said:

That is fan narrative.  We have no idea if JD comes here for similar money.  He started out wanting twice what he got.  Don’t forget he also has an opt out after next year that he will almost certainly use.  

It's just my opinion.

We could have chosen to pursue him, and if we wanted him i'm confident we could have gotten him.

Just now, Make Angels Great Again said:

It's just my opinion.

We could have chosen to pursue him, and if we wanted him i'm confident we could have gotten him.

He was tied to Boston the entire off season.  Boras has quite the relationship with Boston, with us not so much.  There isn’t a lot of trust between us and him.  

Just now, The Boogie Man said:

He was tied to Boston the entire off season.  Boras has quite the relationship with Boston, with us not so much.  There isn’t a lot of trust between us and him.  

Yeah but he took forever to end up with them. The opportunity was there.

Boras and the Angels don't have the greatest history, but that doesn't mean we should cut ourselves off from his clients forever. That's just bad business.

1 minute ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Yeah but he took forever to end up with them. The opportunity was there.

Boras and the Angels don't have the greatest history, but that doesn't mean we should cut ourselves off from his clients forever. That's just bad business.

Yea, I think we looked at Upton and saw a guy that could do a little more than JD.  JD is having a monster year and Upton isn’t.  

Just now, The Boogie Man said:

Yea, I think we looked at Upton and saw a guy that could do a little more than JD.  JD is having a monster year and Upton isn’t.  

Right, in hindsight I think it may have been a poor evaluation. They're both below average defenders in the OF, JD may be very slightly worse than Upton but it's not world changing. But the difference in the bat is gigantic, and it's been that way the last few years.

I just salivate at the thought of two 1.000 OPS bats in our lineup, with Adell in the pipe.

22 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

His career RISP numbers:

..257/.359/.461/.820

This season:

.160/.263/.333/.596

WTF is his problem this season?

Probably the added pressure of being on a team with expectations and behind Trout.  Upton's been super inconsistent his entire career. 

52 minutes ago, dprep80 said:

Probably the added pressure of being on a team with expectations and behind Trout.  Upton's been super inconsistent his entire career. 

Except for the fact that career OPS before this season was .820.   He's had a huge dropoff this season.   I want to believe sample size, except that 3 months is quite a while. 

Maybe he is one that struggles with pressure, and he didn't have much of it in Detroit or Arizona?

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except for the fact that career OPS before this season was .820.   He's had a huge dropoff this season.   I want to believe sample size, except that 3 months is quite a while. 

Maybe he is one that struggles with pressure, and he didn't have much of it in Detroit or Arizona?

He always ends up with his Tim Salmony numbers but goes through waaay too many cold streaks throughout the season. That’s what I meant by inconsistent.

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

Yet AP leads the team in average with RISP .... and everyone wants to move him further down in the lineup.  lol

.288 OBP, no speed on base paths, and insanely low run totals means he absolutely should be moved down.