• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout: LF Vs CF

I really didn't think that moving a player from CF to LF would have an effect on a player's offensive performance. But here are Trout's stats so far this year:

LF: .247/.327/.412, 2 HR

CF: .329/.381/.645, 5 HR

Maybe the stats are more reflective of a star having a slow start. After all, there is no way Trout was going to finish the year batting .250 regardless of any OF spot. But when Peter comes back, it might be a good idea to keep Trout in CF. Yes, Peter is a better fielder, but Trout for some reason is hitting better in the CF spot.

For a 21yo budding superstar I think it matters where he plays.  He comfortable in CF.  You can suggest that a players defensive comfort level shouldn't affect how they hit, but it matters.  Especially for a guy that is just getting his career going. 

I agree with the op.  Leave Trout in CF. 

I don't think where he is defensively matters when he is in his the batters box.

I'm with you on that Chimi. But for some reason there is a disparity in the numbers. It could be sample size, it could be Trout started in LF and just had a slow start, it could be the marine layer lifting, it could be Trout feels more comfortable knowing he's the CF'er, who knows?! But when Peter is ready, why mess with Trout's game by moving his position.

Defensively he looks much better in CF.  I always thought it was a mistake to move him out of CF.  When Bourjos gets back,  move him to LF.  Trout still covers tons of ground.

Bourjos is a better defensive CF than Trout.

Bourjos has a slight edge in Range (Trout is faster out of the blocks but Bourjos is faster over longer distance)

Trout has a slight edge in jumping plays at the wall (Bourjos has robbed homers before, but [non fat] Trout is better)

Bourjos has a much better throwing arm than Trout. Considering more balls are hit to CF, difference between holding runners from taking an extra base, or making a play at home plate vs not making it is a potentially significant difference.

that said, Trout at least this year has not adapted well to playing in LF. He has had multiple serious misplays (I can dig up videos if anyone wants to argue with me on this). His offensive stats in these games has also been not as good. A lot of baseball is psychological. Hamitlon has said he doesn't hit well in the 4 spot. He does better in the 3 or 5 spots. Why should that make a difference? who knows, but the stats agree. 

I actually agree with the argument that those in Detroit were making that Cabrera should be given consideration for his willingness to move out of his natural position to make way for Prince Fielder. This isn't something that can be necessarily taken for granted. 

In light of these results I think we should try Bourjos in LF and Trout in CF. It's possible Bourjos will also take a step back offensively for not playing in his natural positoin. Or maybe he wont. He might be a better left fielder than Trout has been. Bourjos might be better at maintaining his offensive game despite being out of his element defensively.

It could well be that Bourjos, who is only slightly better than Trout defensively in CF, could actually be much better than Trout defensively in LF. While Trout is a fan of "jumping" plays to rob home runs, Bourjos may in fact become an expert at "climbing" plays at the wall to rob HR's in left. I think it's definitely something that should be tried.

That said, I wouldn't be surpised if Bourjos in CF is being pushed by the front office to elevate Bourjos' trade value.

For a 21yo budding superstar I think it matters where he plays.  He comfortable in CF.  You can suggest that a players defensive comfort level shouldn't affect how they hit, but it matters.  Especially for a guy that is just getting his career going. 

it doesn't matter. The samples are ridiculously small. Not to mention he played LF last year and there was no shift in his offense. It doesn't matter even for a young player. It's not like it's a major position shift either.

Fully agreed. Keep the superstar happy, leave him in CF.

People are mistaking correlation from this year's first month as causation. He played in LF and struggled (versus his usual) then he moved to CF and soon started to hit better, therfore the defensive move is the cause. It's post hoc fallacy. 

most likely true yet it's not a pure case of correlation without causation. Some are theorizing that the move back to CF has made him happy and less concerned about focusing on his LF defense and therefore he's for focused on his offense.  It's really an unprovable theory though. 

The question to ask, is whether the OF defense takes a hit with him in CF and bourjos in LF as opposed to the other way around.  I think Bourjos would likely be a bit better in LF than Trout to the same degree that he's better in CF.  But then, under the same theory then Bourjos could become less comfortable and struggle offensively. 

I'd still leave Trout in CF though.  :)