• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would anyone else have the guts to throw Ohtani into right field?

what if Ohtani being a hitter has hindered his progression as a pitcher?  

Not sure putting Ohtani in the field buys you much.  Who do you get in the lineup instead?  A few more at bats for Marte and Valbuena?  Not sure that's a needle mover for me relative to the risk.  

Looking at the schedule, and going on the pitching on Sunday, day off on Saturday Monday routine.  Including the Colorado 2 game series.  If I looked at the schedule right, the Angels have a total of 7 games vs the NL at NL parks Tuesday through Friday.  One would be against the Doggies.  And I don't know if I would want to risk him getting shot and/or a shank thrown at him.  But the other four are on back to back weeks against the Padres and Diamondbacks in mid August.  By then, you might have to consider it, depending on the race, and if Coldhoun continues his pace.

12 hours ago, Lou said:

and scan tickets at the gate, too, so @yk9001 doesn't have to wait 30 minutes to get into the stadium.

That was frigging ridiculous.  Poor Alice was overwhelmed with shoddy equipment.

There were hundreds of people waiting in long lines to get in.  You have a ribbon message board RIGHT IN  FRONT OF THE STADIUM.  Put the game on, for pete's sake, while we are waiting to get in.  

Goddamn, the Angels make no effort to make the experience of going the the game better.

9 hours ago, failos said:

We need to get Ohtani into the Front Office too. I’m sure he’s great with statistics and data science. 

Heck, let's make Ohtani commissioner, and he can institute rules that allow him to play multiple positions simultaneously.

15 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ohtani has a 4.10 ERA after making his first five career starts against 4 of the top 10 offensive teams in the majors. 

I don’t think he’s an “average pitcher.”

I also don’t think the injury risk is the primary reason he’s not playing the OF. It’s a lot of extra strain on the legs, standing out there and squatting every pitch and running. He’s already doing more than every other player in the majors. Plus he’s going to have to practice to be good. 

Also, I really don’t think he has any desire to do it. He stopped doing it in Japan and, by all accounts, had little interest in playing in the NL.

Thank you for bringing some intelligence into this discussion.

10 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

If we have to play Ohtani in RF or at 1B it just shows how bad we are at those two positions and exposes our weak bench. I want the guy to stay healthy and so far so good. Why F with the current plan. 

You shouldn't.  It's like these guys make it work on MLB The Show so they think it is a viable option in real life.

15 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Yep for our best reliever. 

Oh I know. My opinion is that we should stick with the plan on Ohtani as he has the entire baseball world watching him and he’s performed brilliantly. 

Question....

Wouldn’t it be great to see Ohtani start at DH and also pitch at some point in the All Star Game. Has anything like that ever happened?

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

what if Ohtani being a hitter has hindered his progression as a pitcher?  

Not sure putting Ohtani in the field buys you much.  Who do you get in the lineup instead?  A few more at bats for Marte and Valbuena?  Not sure that's a needle mover for me relative to the risk.  

In an NL park I think the difference between Ohtani and Calhoun might be pretty big. If we are talking AL games, right now it might not be a big deal but in the long run Ohtani actually brings a lot of inflexibility to the roster. Maybe it's too much to ask, but I think a traditional dominant starting pitcher or dominant position player is likely more valuable than a good starting pitcher who can only throw once a week and a good DH who gets 2/3rds of the ABs there. His unique skill set probably hinders him more than it helps, unless he becomes more flexible. 

28 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Maybe it's too much to ask, but I think a traditional dominant starting pitcher or dominant position player is likely more valuable than a good starting pitcher who can only throw once a week and a good DH who gets 2/3rds of the ABs there. His unique skill set probably hinders him more than it helps, unless he becomes more flexible. 

I disagree—unless his performance as a hitter and/or pitcher is diminished because he's trying to do both. So far, we've seen flashes of brilliance from him on the mound, and he's been the third best hitter on the team. The Angels would be missing out if he became a standard one-way player.