• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Arizona Fall League update:

• Jahmai Jones (19 G, 78 AB): .321/.400/.500, 6 doubles,1 triple, 2 HR, 10 BB, 23 K, 4 SB, 4 CS, 1 error
  • David MacKinnon (11 G, 35 AB): .143/.354/.171/.526, 1 double,12 BB, 13 K
  • Roberto Baldoquin (11 G, 43 AB): .093/.188/.163/.350, 1 HR, 5 BB, 17 K
  • Jesus Castillo (6 GS, 21.2 IP): 5.82 ERA, 33 hits allowed, 7 walks, 11 strikeouts
  • Daniel Procopio (9 G, 13 IP): 4.85 ERA, 11 hits allowed, 10 walks, 8 strikeouts
  • Ryan Clark (8 G, 10 IP): 6.30 ERA, 11 hits allowed, 5 walks, 6 strikeouts
  • Brett Hanewich (10 G, 10 IP): 12 hits allowed, 13 walks, 11 strikeouts

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Arizona Fall League update:

• Jahmai Jones (19 G, 78 AB): .321/.400/.500, 6 doubles,1 triple, 2 HR, 10 BB, 23 K, 4 SB, 4 CS, 1 error
  • David MacKinnon (11 G, 35 AB): .143/.354/.171/.526, 1 double,12 BB, 13 K
  • Roberto Baldoquin (11 G, 43 AB): .093/.188/.163/.350, 1 HR, 5 BB, 17 K
  • Jesus Castillo (6 GS, 21.2 IP): 5.82 ERA, 33 hits allowed, 7 walks, 11 strikeouts
  • Daniel Procopio (9 G, 13 IP): 4.85 ERA, 11 hits allowed, 10 walks, 8 strikeouts
  • Ryan Clark (8 G, 10 IP): 6.30 ERA, 11 hits allowed, 5 walks, 6 strikeouts
  • Brett Hanewich (10 G, 10 IP): 12 hits allowed, 13 walks, 11 strikeouts

eeeesh,

Jones and then awfulness.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

The major difference between Trout and Adell at this stage was Trout's plate discipline. Adell's improved as the year progressed but unless it improves by leaps and bounds, I don't picture him getting the early promotion.

Not sure it needs to improve by leaps and bounds before he gets promoted.   Trout is a plate discipline freak of nature.  Dude knows the strike zone among the best in the game.  It's the major difference between him and most of the rest of the world.  Not sure it's fair to compare the two in that regard.  Juan Soto is actually more similar to Trout without the defense or raw speed. 

Ron Acuna has a little bit of a different skill set, but in his breakout year where he moved from A+ to AAA at age 19 (equivalent of 4 months older than Adell for their age 19 seasons), he walked 43 times in 612 PA with 144k.  Adell walked 32 times with 111k in 441pa.  Acuna puts bat to ball a little better but Adell has more raw power.  

I don't think Adell make the team out of spring or anything like that, but if Billy trades Calhoun and doesn't replace him with anything more than a platoon with Herm, I think that tells us what their plans are for him.  

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Not sure it needs to improve by leaps and bounds before he gets promoted.   Trout is a plate discipline freak of nature.  Dude knows the strike zone among the best in the game.  It's the major difference between him and most of the rest of the world.  Not sure it's fair to compare the two in that regard.  Juan Soto is actually more similar to Trout without the defense or raw speed. 

Ron Acuna has a little bit of a different skill set, but in his breakout year where he moved from A+ to AAA at age 19 (equivalent of 4 months older than Adell for their age 19 seasons), he walked 43 times in 612 PA with 144k.  Adell walked 32 times with 111k in 441pa.  Acuna puts bat to ball a little better but Adell has more raw power.  

I don't think Adell make the team out of spring or anything like that, but if Billy trades Calhoun and doesn't replace him with anything more than a platoon with Herm and Blash, I think that tells us what their plans are for him.  

Fixed, just for you.

I keep forgetting that Jones finished his 20yo season at AA being 4 years younger than the avg player and ended up as a league avg hitter while switching from OF to 2b.  Stole 24 bags with 4 CS, walked 67 times and k'd 114 in 559 PA.  

and now he's stepped up his game a bit on offense in the AFL.  

33 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Hanewich went off the rails.  10 walks and 10 er in his last 4 innings with 1k.  Whoops.  

Pitching is all over the place in the AFL. Starters don't go more than 4 innings at best so they can go full throttle before being shut down. For some this makes them look like pure studs but a lot of these guys are also making up time lost due to injury or working on command issues. Some are here for scout trade fodder, for better or worse. 

The hitters can shine here, beating up on guys there just to fill rosters. There is no doubt Vlad Jr can hit but there are guys pumping up their stats that are not in line with their minor league numbers.

Jones is obviously flourishing while Baldoquin isn't able to adapt to different levels of pitching from guys he's never seen before. There is the big difference between the two. Baldo's success was only based on repeating the same level multiple times against the same level of talent.

Jones success is challenging the next level to beat him. And from that he learns and improves at a much greater pace. I would have liked to see Adell at the AFL to see how his at bats held up against guys that are going to pitch in the majors next season. 

55 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I keep forgetting that Jones finished his 20yo season at AA being 4 years younger than the avg player and ended up as a league avg hitter while switching from OF to 2b.  Stole 24 bags with 4 CS, walked 67 times and k'd 114 in 559 PA.  

and now he's stepped up his game a bit on offense in the AFL.  

Guarantee there will be some teams asking about him in trade talks. He’s not so far removed from being an OF that a team could have interest in him at either position too, so it adds to his trade value. Wise move to have him switch regardless of the intent.

As I said, word around is that the Angels legitimately believe that Jahmai Jones will be their starting 2B sometime soon.  Other GM's might be asking for him, but I don't think the Angels have any intentions of trading him.  If anything, I think you're going to see Taylor Ward start playing a bit more 1B and LF/RF so that he can be a corner infielder and outfielder, you'll see Luis Rengifo start logging more and more starts at 3B so that they have an avenue to get him into the lineup, and you'll see David Fletcher this year used as a super-sub, which the Angels figure will be his permanent role. 

I think at some point, the Angels infield will consist of Matt Thaiss or Taylor Ward at 1B, Jahmai Jones, Andrelton Simmons at SS, Luis Rengifo at 3B and David Fletcher logging a healthy amount of starts at every spot other than 1B. 

33 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think at some point, the Angels infield will consist of Matt Thaiss or Taylor Ward at 1B, Jahmai Jones, Andrelton Simmons at SS, Luis Rengifo at 3B and David Fletcher logging a healthy amount of starts at every spot other than 1B

That lineup sounds a lot like Figgins at 3rd, Kendrick at 2nd, Itzuris infield backup with Spezio at 1st.

Personally, I am least confident in Thaiss to be a viable everyday major league 1bman.  If Ward starts spending time there, he might end up a decent option.  While it was nice to see what Walsh did last year as well, I am not sure he'll be in the long term plan unless he gets a short term shot and runs with it.  Maybe it ends up being Maitan long term.  

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Adell is just a special human being. Absurdly gifted and still humble and extremely giving. 

We are very lucky to have him, and that's before considering his prospectus as a baseball player.

To that end -- besides dedicating all the the time to do things that makes him awesome he found time to do Jo Adell things too..

I would say this is what happens when you get to draft in the first ten picks but.....I still wonder how in the hell this kid made it to pick #10. Don't get me wrong, I'm as well versed in the story as anyone, but are just some things I have trouble understanding. Ok so Pujols, I get. Some kid at a location community college, sure, he goes in the 11th. That happens. And Trout even. A cold weather kid, never played against better competition, not heavily scouted. His athleticism propelled him into the first round but really, if not for the Angels and the Yanks, he might've gone much later. 

But Adell, built like that, speaks like that. Leads the nation in HR's as a senior. Plays for the top amateur team in the country with Evoshield and is their star player. Sure he had a rough junior year, but all the same. A kid with ALL of that going for him, scouts still convince themselves there are 9 better player skills to pick 

Lucky us. 

Then again, that draft was insane.

1-1 SS Royce Lewis - (19) hit .292/.352 with 28 DB 14 HR and 28 SB between A Ball and high A. Definitely talent, but production tiled off considerably upon promotion. It's close but I think I'd still take Adell.

1-2 RHP Hunter Greene - (19) Injured.

1-3 LHP Mackenzie Gore - (19) Injured and ineffective in A Ball. Great stuff though. 

1-4 1B/LHP Brendan McKay - (22) An American two-Way player. Hit .214 but with power and plate discipline. However, absolutely dominant showing on the mound. Probably will be a pitcher unless he learns to hit better. Maybe could be a power but off the bench as well as starting pitcher. Adell is way more valuable Still.

1-5 RHP Kyle Wright - (22) Already made his major league debut. Cruised through AA/AAA with little difficulty. Mod rotation starter. Solid pick if you need help immediately.

1-6 OF Austin Beck - (19) Hit .296 in A Ball with 2 HR and 8 SB. 

1-7 OF Pavin Smith - (22) Hit .255 in high A.

1-8 OF Adam Haseley - (22) Hit .305 between high A and AA with 11 HR.

(Both of those picks came out of Virginia, and suddenly Matt Thaiss' selection, under slot bonus, production and growth through the minors looks like an absolute steal comparatively.

1-9 2B Kenton Hiura - (21) Hit .293/.337 with 34 DB 13 HR 15 SB between high A and AA. The kid can hit, no doubt about that, but there are serious questions as to where he'll play defensively. A below average second baseman, doesn't figure to be more than a below average corner outfielder.

1-10 OF Jo Adell - (19) Hit .290/.355 with 32 DB 20 HR 15 SB and elite defense between A ball, high A and AA.

I think any redraft puts Adell at either 1-1 or 1-2. Still early though. Nick Pratto looks very promising, as does Helios Ramos. Dipoto made the most Dipoto pick ever, grabbing a low upside collegiate performer, who is also the best prospect he has now. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I would say this is what happens when you get to draft in the first ten picks but.....I still wonder how in the hell this kid made it to pick #10. Don't get me wrong, I'm as well versed in the story as anyone, but are just some things I have trouble understanding. Ok so Pujols, I get. Some kid at a location community college, sure, he goes in the 11th. That happens. And Trout even. A cold weather kid, never played against better competition, not heavily scouted. His athleticism propelled him into the first round but really, if not for the Angels and the Yanks, he might've gone much later. 

But Adell, built like that, speaks like that. Leads the nation in HR's as a senior. Plays for the top amateur team in the country with Evoshield and is their star player. Sure he had a rough junior year, but all the same. A kid with ALL of that going for him, scouts still convince themselves there are 9 better player skills to pick 

Lucky us. 

I’m pretty sure his high school team wasn’t in a very competitive division or whatever it is in the high school ranks, so there were some questions whether his hit tool would translate against tougher competition. They knew the power and athleticism were there; they questioned whether he would make enough contact to be successful. 

Kind of the same thing with Jordyn Adams.