• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

14 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Rosters to be finalized by 5:00 tomorrow.

As likely as the Angels will be looking at who gets squeezed off other teams, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something go down involving some of our own guys who need to be protected. Pena, Gatto, Walsh, Way, and even Rengifo or Suarez could find themselves in talks.

we're at 38 on the 40.  

gotta add Rengifo, Suarez for sure.  I would really like to see them add Pena as well.  I think we can safely drop Castillo without a problem.  I think they'll find a way to add Walsh too. 

Cowart really has no value at this point.   Nor does Blash.  (just realized why Ettin likes him.   Blash off!!!!  get it?  cuz you know.  never mind).  And Bridwell can probably go.  

Rhoades, Lillis-White, Ryan Clark and Gatto would be eligible for the R5 then as well as a few others that aren't likely to get selected.  We could probably protect one or two of them.  

we're gonna have at least one of those relievers taken from a rebuilding team.  

7 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

we're at 38 on the 40.  

gotta add Rengifo, Suarez for sure.  I would really like to see them add Pena as well.  I think we can safely drop Castillo without a problem.  I think they'll find a way to add Walsh too. 

Cowart really has no value at this point.   Nor does Blash.  (just realized why Ettin likes him.   Blash off!!!!  get it?  cuz you know.  never mind).  And Bridwell can probably go.  

Rhoades, Lillis-White, Ryan Clark and Gatto would be eligible for the R5 then as well as a few others that aren't likely to get selected.  We could probably protect one or two of them.  

we're gonna have at least one of those relievers taken from a rebuilding team.  

Could see guys like Parker, Alvarez, Bedrosian, and Robles get moved too. They’d clear a spot and salary, provided the Angels get non-R5 eligible prospects back. A chance. 

Almost certainly going to see something happen soon, even if just a surprising DFA/non-add to the 40.

Just now, totdprods said:

Could see guys like Parker, Alvarez, Bedrosian, and Robles get moved too. They’d clear a spot and salary, provided the Angels get non-R5 eligible prospects back. A chance. 

Almost certainly going to see something happen soon, even if just a surprising DFA/non-add to the 40.

Noe is still on the 40 as well.   I think we'll keep Robles and Alvarez.  I could see us moving Bedrosian and/or Parker.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Noe is still on the 40 as well.   I think we'll keep Robles and Alvarez.  I could see us moving Bedrosian and/or Parker.  

I’d love to see that happen. Sign one stable vet RP to fill the void, waiver claim another like Eppler does best.

I'd like to see the Angels be drastic in their 40-man roster management. I think there's a lot of unnecessary pieces there, and would like to see the Angels make room for new acquisitions and prospects. I'd trade Bedrosian and Parker, dump Bridwell, Noe Ramirez, Cowart and Almonte. Combined with inevitably losing JC Ramirez and/or Alex Meyer, that puts us at 8 spots. 

From there, add Suarez, Walsh and Rengifo, and take a chance on a rule 5 reliever entering camp. That still leaves four spots for free agents without having to drop anyone. And inevitably, some of Blash, Brice, Farrell, Castillo, Cole Jerez, Jewell are eventually going to flame out, at which point they'd be able to make room for the likes of Adell, Thaiss, Jones etc...

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

I'd like to see the Angels be drastic in their 40-man roster management. I think there's a lot of unnecessary pieces there, and would like to see the Angels make room for new acquisitions and prospects. I'd trade Bedrosian and Parker, dump Bridwell, Noe Ramirez, Cowart and Almonte. Combined with inevitably losing JC Ramirez and/or Alex Meyer, that puts us at 8 spots. 

From there, add Suarez, Walsh and Rengifo, and take a chance on a rule 5 reliever entering camp. That still leaves four spots for free agents without having to drop anyone. And inevitably, some of Blash, Brice, Farrell, Castillo, Cole Jerez, Jewell are eventually going to flame out, at which point they'd be able to make room for the likes of Adell, Thaiss, Jones etc...

Eppler doesn't do anything drastic.  He'll make some strategic moves and if he loses a player or two in the R5 it will be because he values what he already has on the roster.  I do hope he rearranges enough to keep Rhoades and Walsh though.  Gatto I could go either way although I'd like to see what he can do as a reliever.  

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Eppler doesn't do anything drastic.  He'll make some strategic moves and if he loses a player or two in the R5 it will be because he values what he already has on the roster.  I do hope he rearranges enough to keep Rhoades and Walsh though.  Gatto I could go either way although I'd like to see what he can do as a reliever.  

I was just saying what I'd like to see. What I want and what the Angels do have always been two very different paths. If Walsh were rule 5 eligible, he'd be protected. Eppler cited him specifically when referring to his depth at 1B, while not even mentioning Fernandez, which says something. 

I am curious to hear about Walsh and Way's progress on the mound during fall instructs. Both make interesting depth pieces.

Drastic might not be right word, but I actually think we may see some significant roster shuffling. Eppler has a new manager this year, expectations for the MLB team are lessened, and we're in a much different place in regards to having prospects alter the composition of the MLB team or in use for trades. 

We're currently at 38. Up to four or five guys will need to be added today alone. 
Must-add: Suarez, Rengifo
Should-add: Walsh, Rhoades, Pena
On the fence: Lillis-White, Way, Gatto
Soon enough: Adell, Canning, Sandoval

All 11, should they remain in the organization, stand a good chance to be added at some point during the season as well. 
While Eppler can more easily clear spots during the season, and there's no reason to add them today unless they're critical, it's safe to say roster flexibility will be key for 2019. 

Almonte, Bridwell, Noe, and likely Meyer are almost locks to be cut this offseason. They're all out of options and have done nothing to guarantee a spot on the 25-man. 
Tropeano and Farrell each have options remaining - as does Castillo - so I actually could see them be retained as the guys above get cut. 
Shoemaker, despite his higher arb-projection, has two options remaining, which really boosts his value. JC Ramirez is out though, so I think he gets axed.
Cowart probably survives for now, at least until Eppler resolves MLB bench depth. Kevan Smith is out of options, but he's likely sticking around, at least until starting catcher is deteremined. 
Blash is presumably replaceable, but I could also see them holding onto him since he has an option remaining. 

I also can't see Eppler going into '19 with a bullpen full of guys without options, of which applies to Parker, Bedrosian, Robles, Alvarez, and Brice. We'll see one of the higher-priced guys get moved. 

Tally up the obvious cuts - Almonte, Bridwell, Noe, Meyer, JC Ramirez, and one traded away RP - and you're still close to filling up the 40. Conclusion? We're going to see a lot of movement, and I think there will be some consideration given to parting with guys who can't remain healthy or reliable. On top of the obvious cuts, Tropeano, Shoemaker, Bedrosian, Cowart, and even Calhoun and Skaggs might have to come into discussion just to break up some of the stalled progress they've had up until this point in their careers. 

I guess what I'm saying is, it makes sense to buy - and sell - right now. We have two waves of youth hitting this team this year (Ward, Suarez, Fletcher, Rengifo, Canning, Thaiss) and next (Adell, Jones, possibly Marsh and Sandoval, and Canning and Thaiss can be held until this year too) and there really isn't enough room on the roster or player time for all of them to be a part of that. Cash in on a few of them, get a good, solid, MLB contributor with 2-3 of them, cut bait with some guys yet to take root to clear playing time, and maybe sell off a big-league piece to do the same - open up playing time, and replenish the farm with some younger stock. With a new manager and lessened/altered expectations, it's a great season to rework some of the MLB team's DNA.

The Padres probably will have enmost interesting day among all major league teams today. They have a full 40 man roster, have legitimately six prospects that need to be added, and six different outfielders that deserve a starting role. Granted, they also have six players on their current 40 man that they could easily part ways with. 

I am expecting a lot of movement today, maybe even a trade or two. 

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The Padres probably will have enmost interesting day among all major league teams today. They have a full 40 man roster, have legitimately six prospects that need to be added, and six different outfielders that deserve a starting role. Granted, they also have six players on their current 40 man that they could easily part ways with. 

I am expecting a lot of movement today, maybe even a trade or two. 

I'd love to see the Angels nab Pirela or Villanueva to shore up our UT CIF who hits lefties well. 

Do everyone a favor, send them one legit good non-R5 OF prospect (Marsh? Adams? Knowles?) that doesn't hurt their 40-man strain and get a couple guys who are on their bubble - Hedges, Pirela, and Wick. 

On 11/17/2018 at 8:28 AM, Second Base said:

Also, incoming rumor, the Angels discussed Christian Villanueva with the Padres. They agreed to a basic framework (prospects) but the Padres tabled it because they were looking to solve their outfield situation and acquire a starting 3B first. The deal coul still come together later Jin the offseason. 

19 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm really hoping the Angels not announcing any of their moves yet has more to do with the fact that they've been in negotiations all day, and not simply waiting for nothing. 

By your own account -- they had been talking to the Padres regarding Villanueva..   So, you already know the answer to this.

Edited by Inside Pitch