• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tough Decision Time on Ohtani ?

Japan's majors are essentially like AAA?   Or AAAA?

If anything, maybe the first season sees a reduction in expected at bats while still going full speed ahead on pitching?    Say starting 1/4 of the games as DH, while still making some 27 starts (160 innings)?    This is where Chris Carter factors in, increased need for an additional DH/1B?  

I love all the negative comments about Ohtani from fans, the media, scouts, etc.  I love it because it doesn't appear to phase him one bit.  People see and believe what they want.  Time will tell, and I just wouldn't bet against him.  There's something different about him.  He has a quiet confidence.  He doesn't take himself or anything too seriously and yet - he's pursuing HIS dream.  It's an ambitious dream and people like that are driven to succeed.  I am confident he's going to figure it out.  I think about his decision to do this now and not wait for his chance to make much more money.  He's motivated and wired differently.  The world is changed by dreamers... by people like Ohtani who go about trying to do something others say can't be done.  He's remained clam through the process.  He's not anxious.  I see him as determined, but in a quiet way. 

What he wants and plans to do is historical.  It's monumental.  It will change baseball.  The way he's going about it is commendable.  I applaud him.  I'm cheering for him.  I believe in him.  A lot of great people had tons of naysayers.  A lot of those naysayers have no idea what-so-ever as to what it takes to be truly exceptional. They should just shut up - watch and learn.

It may not happen over night - but I believe Ohtani is going to be amazing.

43 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I trust Scioscia, Eppler and our scouting dept. more than armchair GM's and message board trolls. 

My response is more out of concern. I’m not mocking Ohtani in any way. I took the time to attend the pressor, had a jersey made and a sign. He’s struggling and I would not mind seeing him start off in AAA. Maybe it’s a PR thing or they truly believe that he’s ready to pitch 6-7 innings and 90-100 pitches on a consistent basis and hit at a productive rate. We’ll see, I’m still rooting for him.

6 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

My response is more out of concern. I’m not mocking Ohtani in any way. I took the time to attend the pressor, had a jersey made and a sign. He’s struggling and I would not mind seeing him start off in AAA. Maybe it’s a PR thing or they truly believe that he’s ready to pitch 6-7 innings and 90-100 pitches on a consistent basis and hit at a productive rate. We’ll see, I’m still rooting for him.

I just think the Angels know more than us. If they thought his roster spot was hurting the team's chances, he'd already be ticketed to start the season in the minors.

What if he was killing it on both sides of diamond in ST, only to shit the bed once the bell rang?

I think it's better to have low expectations since he's just 23 years old playing in the big leagues for the first time than to go in thinking we truly have the Babe Ruth of Japan ready to hit 45 HR at the plate and have a miniscule ERA. 

On 3/9/2018 at 8:28 PM, tdawg87 said:

He will absolutely be on the opening day roster, starting the first Sunday.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:06 PM, ettin said:

As @tdawg87 said he will without any doubt barring an actual injury on the Opening Day roster. There is no way he is starting down in the Minors.

Oh look.....

3 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

He chose the Angels because He trusted Eppler would be a man of his word.  And he didn't get that feeling from us or the other 3 competitors.

He didn't forgo 200 million to play minor league ball.  Being sent to the minors would probably do alot of psychological damage on top of being under slot of pressure.

Think of it this way.  ALL he had to do is play one more year in quad A Japan and then he could hAve come over here as a 200 mil pitcher.  Forget even the hitting aspect, they would not send a 200 mil newly signed pitcher to the minors unless it was a rehab game.

2 hours ago, CubsFan said:

He chose the Angels because He trusted Eppler would be a man of his word.  And he didn't get that feeling from us or the other 3 competitors.

He didn't forgo 200 million to play minor league ball.  Being sent to the minors would probably do alot of psychological damage on top of being under slot of pressure.

Think of it this way.  ALL he had to do is play one more year in quad A Japan and then he could hAve come over here as a 200 mil pitcher.  Forget even the hitting aspect, they would not send a 200 mil newly signed pitcher to the minors unless it was a rehab game.

Angels GM Billy Eppler told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Timesthe team did not give Ohtani any assurances about being on the Opening Day roster when they signed him.

So you’re saying that Ohtani’s spot on the opening day roster was predetermined no matter what. 

For those thinking about the service time issue where Angels could snag another year of control, they could always play nice and say its in his best interest to spend a few starts down there and guarantee that he'll be up before the cutoff for that 7th year. If he stinks it up in AAA then I have no idea what you do then. 

9 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

Angels GM Billy Eppler told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Timesthe team did not give Ohtani any assurances about being on the Opening Day roster when they signed him.

So you’re saying that Ohtani’s spot on the opening day roster was predetermined no matter what. 

I believe it was although they can't officially say that.  I think this is why he went with Eppler because there had been a preexisting relationship and trust from Epplers time with the Yankees.

He basically didn't want to go to a team that would hoodwink him and send him to the minors and lower his value and kick him to the curb if he struggled.  He was looking for a team and front office that would make a long term investment considering what he had to give up to come over here this year.

22 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

True and I agree, but can't Ohtani's time here in ST be viewed as his first cup O coffee like Trout's?

We know he has the talent as he's performed at a high level with incredible #'s in Japan and against our best in the bigs on a national level. 

It can...outside the fact it's been a big ol' can of shit stew.

Isn't Japan essentially AAA to AAAA level?    What good then does it serve him to start 2018 at AAA?     

Just limit the at bats, so that he can then focus mainly on pitching in 2018.    And give him a spot lower than #3 in the rotation, less pressure there too.

GRich, Ramirez, Tropeano, Skaggs, Ohtani, Bridwell.......seems about right.

looks like Ohtani makes the opening day roster with Tropeano and Birdwell being told they're being shipped out.

I expect a modified plan for Ohtani - he may see some early game action pinch running for Pujols, perhaps starting a 'bull pen' game where Ohtani is scheduled to pitch three innings or be on a strict pitch count.....and may be some relief appearances.

perhaps he DH's once a week.

I just don't see him starting out playing virtually every day and being the starting pitcher every Sunday like once envisioned.

4 hours ago, disarcina said:

looks like Ohtani makes the opening day roster with Tropeano and Birdwell being told they're being shipped out.

I expect a modified plan for Ohtani - he may see some early game action pinch running for Pujols, perhaps starting a 'bull pen' game where Ohtani is scheduled to pitch three innings or be on a strict pitch count.....and may be some relief appearances.

perhaps he DH's once a week.

I just don't see him starting out playing virtually every day and being the starting pitcher every Sunday like once envisioned.

Why is Sunday always being mentioned. I have heard nothing official suggesting Sunday as his day. I think the plan is for him to DH 3 days a week and pitch every 6th day, although that is flexible. As far as pitch count goes, Scioscia as stated they may limit his starts but he will be allowed throw a 100 pitches or so. That is what he was accustomed to in Japan.

5 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Why is Sunday always being mentioned. I have heard nothing official suggesting Sunday as his day.

Ohtani was accustomed to always pitching on Sunday in Japan. Their schedule always has the same off day for the entire league rather than the scattered mid week off/travel days in MLB. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Ohtani was accustomed to always pitching on Sunday in Japan. Their schedule always has the same off day for the entire league rather than the scattered mid week off/travel days in MLB. 

Yeah but the other 5 pitchers pitched on the other days. Darvish and Tanaka also had the 1 day of the week to pitch and they pitch whenever their turns comes up. Just because he pitched on Sundays in Japan is no reason he has to pitch on Sundays here. Also in Japan every Monday is an off day that's not the case here.

Other than on this message board I have not heard anything suggesting he pitches on Sundays here.

7 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Yeah but the other 5 pitchers pitched on the other days. Darvish and Tanaka also had the 1 day of the week to pitch and they pitch whenever their turns comes up. Just because he pitched on Sundays in Japan is no reason he has to pitch on Sundays here. Also in Japan every Monday is an off day that's not the case here.

Other than on this message board I have not heard anything suggesting he pitches on Sundays here.

No he could pitch on Saturdays here.  

19 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

Any thoughts that the angels could scrap the hitting for Ohtani and just focus on the pitching...Say around the ASB if he has been struggling at the plate?

In my opinion, they aren't going to permanently scrap it, though I could definitely see him getting at bats taken away if he's not hitting.