• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Arte Moreno says Angels are ‘thinking about’ an extension for Mike Trout, but there’s no urgency

AngelsWin.com

TEMPE, Ariz. — After watching Shohei Ohtani go through his first bullpen session with the Angels, Arte Moreno confronted a question about his other star.

Mike Trout has three years left on his deal, which is already prompting some to wonder when it’s time to talk about an extension.

“Let’s put it this way, it’s always in our minds,” Moreno said while standing near the practice fields during Thursday’s workout. “We’re always thinking about it. If you look at long-term plans, you’re always trying to position yourself properly.”

Moreno wouldn’t say if any talks have begun with Trout, but he added that there’s no time pressure at the moment.

“We try not to do anything in an urgent way,” Moreno said. “We don’t think that’s a good way to do business. We look at three- to five-year periods in payroll, who’s coming through the system, how much we’re spending.”

Trout will make just over $34 million each of the next three seasons, completing the $145-million deal he signed before the 2014 season.

This winter, the Angels were one of the few teams to commit significant money for upgrades, signing Ohtani and free agent Zack Cozart, extending Justin Upton and trading for Ian Kinsler.

Moreno sees other teams cutting back, and he said he could not see the Angels ever doing that type of rebuild.

“Don’t get me wrong, we don’t want to lose a bunch of money, but the reality is, if I have to do that, then I’d get out,” Moreno said. “I don’t think it’s fair to the fans.”

The number of teams “tanking,” as well as those who have simply decided to be more frugal in the free agent market, has led to some accusations from players that clubs are not negotiating in good faith. The word “collusion” has even been used.

Moreno, however, indicated that some players are simply asking for too much.

“People are sitting out there with offers on the table but they’re not taking them because the numbers aren’t big enough,” Moreno said.

The Angels, he added, have actually lost money each of the last two years, for the first time since he bought the team in 2003. Moreno said that, even though the attendance has continued to be over 3 million each year, dynamic pricing means they don’t make as much money from that attendance in years when the demand is low.

“We may draw 3 million, but they may be with $10 tickets,” Moreno said.

Last year, the Angels also added about $5 million in payroll, he said, when they decided to trade for Upton and Brandon Phillips to make a playoff push.

He said this year the team is projected to make a profit again – no doubt in part because of the appeal of Ohtani – and he is open to spending more on a trade later in the season.

“I always try to have some kind of room,” he said.

The Angels’ current payroll, including bonuses and benefits, is around $175 million, for purposes of the luxury tax. The threshold is $197 million. Their actual payroll is about $187 million, because players like Trout and Albert Pujols are making significantly more than the average annual value of their deals this year.

“If we went through the threshold a few years ago, we would have lost $30 million to $40 million,” Moreno said. “The reality is, if we start losing $30-$40 million a year, you’re economically out of business.”

View the full article

“If we went through the threshold a few years ago, we would have lost $30 million to $40 million,” Moreno said. “The reality is, if we start losing $30-$40 million a year, you’re economically out of business.”

So the people who have wanted Arte to go over the threshold please come forward and identify yourselves. You know who you are. :P

On the one hand, i get not rushing. Hes still locked up for 3 years. And its not unwise to think long term economics.

On the other hand, if were already "screwing" trout (being that were paying below market value), i say dont pull out, and get him pregnant. Worry about how to pay for the baby later. We want to spend the rest of our lives with this guy 

4 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

So the people who have wanted Arte to go over the threshold please come forward and identify yourselves. You know who you are. :P

Boston, Yankees, and Dodgers are going out of Business? I don't think so.

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

Do you guys really think the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers are losing $30-$40 million a year? 

The point being Arte said exceeding the threshold would have cost him $40/$50M a year. The Yankees have exceeded the threshold for at least 5 years and pay 50% penalty. The Dodgers are close to the same and their payroll last season $242,065,828.

I'm saying that winning could have more than made up for going over the threshold for Arte. Especially if only $10-15M for a year, that would be a total $22.5M including penalty. More than made up if they make the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

The point being Arte said exceeding the threshold would have cost him $40/$50M a year. The Yankees have exceeded the threshold for at least 5 years and pay 50% penalty. The Dodgers are close to the same and their payroll last season $242,065,828.

I'm saying that winning could have more than made up for going over the threshold for Arte. Especially if only $10-15M for a year, that would be a total $22.5M including penalty. More than made up if they make the playoffs.

To the Yankees lead baseball in yealy income at $526 million. 

The Dodgers are #2 at  $462. 

They can afford the luxuary tax and yet both teams are working to get under the cap. The Yankees are curently at @ $20 million under, the Dodgers $17.

Edited by Blarg

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

To the Yankees lead baseball in yealy income at $526 million. 

The Dodgers are #2 at  $462. 

They can afford the luxuary tax and yet both teams are working to get under the cap. The Yankees are curently at @ $20 million under, the Dodgers $17.

And they both have better teams spending about the same amount of money as Arte. 

2 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

So I will assume his quote that said, he will go over the threshold for the right person was a lie and this one is the truth?  Ok.  Way to be you big guy, keep it up.  

Yankees spent $50 million more than Arte

Dodgers spent $90 million more than Arte

Yankees spent $47 million more than Arte

Dodgers spent $100 million more than Arte

Yankees spent $74 million more than Arte

Dodgers spent $152 million (almost double, Angels payroll was $154 m)

Dodgers spent $78 million more than Arte

What up Claude

2 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

A few years ago?  You mean before 2016, when the new TV contract kicked in?

According to Forbes, you're *making* $68M / year, and the team is estimated to be worth $1.75B -Angels baseball could "lose" $30-40m a year until Mike Trout checks into a nursing home,  and not even make a dent, b/c I don't think you're saying you'd be "losing" $40m" a year, but paying a $40m luxury tax each year - not the same thing.  

Anyway, I wanted an additional 2 years on the first extension - the time to extend him is this season.  

It's gonna get weird, though - it Otani is everything we hope, we might be wanting to sign him to a long-term deal after next season, too - still in the Pujols Peak Pain Period ... 

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Dodgers spent $90 million more than Arte

Yankees spent $47 million more than Arte

Dodgers spent $100 million more than Arte

Yankees spent $74 million more than Arte

Dodgers spent $152 million (almost double, Angels payroll was $154 m)

Dodgers spent $78 million more than Arte

What up Claude

They can afford it. They have a completely different revenue stream. These teams have a very popular brand. The Yankees are actually the worlds favorite team. The Dodgers also have their Brooklyn roots and they own the LA market. 

We’re trying to compete with the Astros, remember!

1 hour ago, OHTANILAND said:

Did you ever notice that conveniently the “right person” was never signed. 

Got a list of people you would have considered the "right person"..    I mean you didn't want them to spend on anyone in any of the last three seasons, you said they were at least 5 years away from recovering from the JD years..   So who exactly did they fail to pursue the last two years that you actively wanted them to bring in...  

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Got a list of people you would have considered the "right person"..    I mean you didn't want them to spend on anyone in any of the last three seasons, you said they were at least 5 years away from recovering from the JD years..   So who exactly did they fail to pursue the last two years that you actively wanted them to bring in...  

Well the right person actually has never existed. Arte has hinted at signing the right person but we’ve never had a team strong enough to compete for a championship since last decade. (please refrain from mentioning 2014) We actually did get caught signing the “wrong person” on a few occasions who were supposed to get us to a championship level. 

In fairness to Arte there was never the right person worth signing for another mega-multi-million dollar deal that would’ve made a difference.

7 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Well the right person actually has never existed. Arte has hinted at signing the right person but we’ve never had a team strong enough to compete for a championship since last decade. (please refrain from mentioning 2014) We actually did get caught signing the “wrong person” on a few occasions who were supposed to get us to a championship level. 

In fairness to Arte there was never the right person worth signing for another mega-multi-million dollar deal that would’ve made a difference.

So what exactly was the point of asking what you did?    

You knew that person didn't exist, that's the only reason I asked -- but you wanted to paint it as if it was all just lip service from Arte...    Why?  Because you were pushing a narrative and nothing else.   When the intent isn't earnest discussion but an attempt to push people's buttons....  I just don't get it.

Just more of the same.