• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Odorizzi Tied to Angels: Marc Topkin (Beat Writer for Rays)

ettin

Sign me up. He's the durable 30 GS, 170 IP, 4 ERA guy we need to help anchor things. 

Probably wont cost an exorbitant amount and under control for a few seasons. Tampa may be a potential destination for guys like Cron and Perez, but I imagine it'll cost at least one prospect who'd sting - Hermosillo or a lower ceiling pitcher. I wonder if the Angels interest in Chris Young means Herm is coming up in trade talks - not that a 4th OF signing would mean that Herm is going, but still could be a factor.

Wonder if we'd be in on Colome, Miller, or a reliever too.

FWIW, Odorizzi has killed against most of the AL West too.

Vs. Houston, 3 GS, 0.47 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, 19 IP, 11.4 K9

Vs. Oakland, 5 GS, 3.34 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 29.2 IP, 7.3 K9

Vs. Texas, 6 GS, 2.02 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 35.2 IP, 8.8 K9

Vs. Seattle, 6 GS, 4.97 ERA, 1.62 WHIP, 29 IP, 9.6 K9

Vs. Angels, 5 GS, 6.04 ERA, 1.66 WHIP, 25.1 IP, 7.1 K9

However, take away games in Tampa and leave starts only in AL West ballparks (small sample size):

2.34 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 9.2 K9 in 8 GS, 43.2 IP

Unless they are planning to move Wilson Ramos or Jesus Sucre off of catcher I doubt they will have interest in Carlos Perez who is out of options (and Ramos and Sucre are out of options too).

Also they have Brad Miller at 1B and Corey Dickerson at DH (maybe LF) so it seems unlikely, unless they trade one of them, that they would want Cron who is also out of options.

Not saying it couldn't happen but they will have to make room at those positions.

It's gonna involve some actual prospect currency - he's a controllable SP with solid numbers. I'm not saying he's going to cost us a Top 10 or maybe even Top 15 guy, but 40-man flotsam won't get it done. 

I imagine at least one of the Herm, Jewell, Thaiss, Ward, Middleton, Fletcher group would be involved. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

What's the absolute most you'd give up for Odorizzi?

For me, one of Jones, Ward, or Thaiss would be the highest ranked prospect I'd be willing to discuss, but only if he was making up virtually all of the return value. Any other names would have to be pretty minor, or advantageous for the Angels to surrender, such as moving Cron or Alvarez to free up some money and a position. 

I'd also be willing to look at other Tampa players like Colome, Miller, Alvarado, Span, Andriese, etc. too and expand it some.

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because he has less of an injury history and he has an extra year of control, I would assume he would cost more in a trade to acquire than Richards would be.  So ask yourself if you would accept Perez, Cowart and Cron for Richards.  

He's coming off a poor season, battled injuries and does not have frontline stuff like Richards. So yes.

Not really sure I see the point in this tbh. Now, if they can get Colome with Odorizzi then sure. Odorizzi just gives the Angels more of what they have plenty of in the rotation already, except they'd need to move assets to acquire him. The appeal here though is that he's a known commodity whereas the other arms in Anaheim are nothing but question marks due to injury. Still, I'm not a fan of them parting with any of their main prospects for him. He's not the arm worth giving up a Jones/Marsh for

5 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Not really sure I see the point in this tbh. Now, if they can get Colome with Odorizzi then sure. Odorizzi just gives the Angels more of what they have plenty of in the rotation already, except they'd need to move assets to acquire him. The appeal here though is that he's a known commodity whereas the other arms in Anaheim are nothing but question marks due to injury. Still, I'm not a fan of them parting with any of their main prospects for him. He's not the arm worth giving up a Jones/Marsh for

Agree.

Odorizzi is at best a #3 arm and is coming off a bad season, battling injuries. 

why not just sign Lance Lynn at this point?

3.02 era 1st and 2nd time through the order the last 3 years.  

Odorizzi - 3.24 era 1st and 2nd time through the last three years.   Pretty damn good but worth giving up currency for when you've got comparable arms that just cost money (and not prospects).  If Eppler and co know something about him turning a corner then I'm all for it.  

The key is going to be picking the right OFer to trade.  Because trading one of Adell, Jones or Marsh seems like a strong play if it nets a front of the rotation starter or someone who has the potential to be that.  I just remember the rumors of trading Trumbo for Kluber and how we were pretty much all against that.  Myself included.   Two cy young's later and I feel like an idiot.  Maybe it's best to leave the baseball stuff to the baseball people.  

The Angels have had some starters that are irritating to watch.  Noralsco made me crazy and the Nibbler.  Santiago for that matter.  But Oroizzi is different, I enjoy watching him pitch- of course it’s easy to root for him when he’s pitching for Tampa against the Red Sox or Yankees.

if Ordoizzi is going to figure it out it’ll be in the next couple of years, it’s a risk but there is upside.  Hate to say it but if it’s about the trout window, I make this move.  If it’s about value only, probably not (I see the prospect price as high).