• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball America Top 100 Prospects

southpaw

41 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, Maitan is farther away than Rodriguez/Adell/Rivas/Marsh. He may need 4 more full minor league seasons. 

He's in his age 18 season this year -- so, he's still ahead of where the average HS draftee would be next year.   I don't know that we or anyone can really make a prediction on his ETA yet -- that's not a criticism, I just think his situation is kinds unique.  He was pretty much touted as the best prospect to come down the pike in a long time -- the comps to Cabrera were common.  Then he struggled with the culture change and a McDonalds on every corner.   Talen't wise, he's someone that if his head is right he could skyrocket through the system.  I personally think last year was his mulligan and we get a better idea of what he really is by September of 2018..  

9 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Good marks all around, but that Adell review is good enough to really turn heads. Describes him as a center-fielder with plus speed, a plus arm, and "with 80 raw power and huge exit velocities already in pro ball, as well as the aptitude to adjust to the challenges he’ll face when he sees better pitching in the Midwest League this year."

15 minutes ago, Hubs said:

So we don't see Marsh or Adell moving through the system at a Trout-like pace? Or Calhoun for that matter, though Calhoun of course was a college bat.

Trout did see some action in Low A his first year in the minors, though it was only 5 games. Neither Adell or Marsh did that. But it was really his 2010 season that rocketed him to the top of prospects lists.

Trout (2009) Rk: 44 games, .352 / .419 / .486

Adell (2017) Rk:  18 games, .376 / .411 / .518 and then did .288/.351/.542 in the AZ Fall League

Marsh (2017) Rk: 39 games, .350 / .396 / .548

Trout was ranked in the mid-eighties after his debut. He was also in his age 17, as opposed to Adell being a few months older (Born in April vs. August) and Marsh being 19 (Born December a year earlier, drafted at 18, limited playing time due to injury).

Trout (2010) A/A+: Dominated Low A at .362 / .454 / .526 then hit .306 / .388 / .434 in High A as an 18 year old. In 2011, he was ranked the #3 prospect, and lived up to it as in 91 games in AA he hit .326 / .414 / .544 before being called up to the show, where he didn't exactly light the world on fire.

Then in 2012, just two and a half seasons after being drafted, he was the best player in the majors.

I don't expect that, but I guess I'd be hoping to see these guys at some point in 2019, leaving to really contribute in 2020. At least one of them I hope to be ready to take Calhoun's spot in RF after 2019.

I'd forgot Marsh had injury issues, and was actually drafted in 2016. Which makes way more sense why he was so much older than the competition.

We also got a decent crop of young players in the low minors with some higher upside.  Particularly foreign arms.  It's gonna be interesting to see what Canning does this year as well.  

The key of all this is that the farm system starts to produce major league talent again.  

the most recent impactful SP or position player (ie non-reliever) home grown prospect for the halos?  

CJ Cron in 2014.  

Even when we weren't considered a top farm system we were getting the occasional position filled.   Trout, Calhoun, Cron, Perez, Richards, Skaggs, Shoe.  

If you count the entire 25 man roster, it certainly help if you can cycle in at least one if not two prospects a year.  

Yeah, I'm guessing Maitan and maybe Canning would be in the 101-150 range for Law, not top 50.

But good stuff. Every time I read about our trio of high upside outfielders (who may soon be joined by Deveaux), I am re-convinced that there is no way that Eppler trades any of them this year. We need to see how these guys develop before really having a sense of their value. 

If Trout is extended, chances are one of them is eventually traded, but I'd love to see them find a place for all three. 

I don't see any of our OF's being pushed at a Trout type of pace. I mean first of all he's a once in a lifetime player. Second, our OF is locked up for at least the next three years. Even if we trade Calhoun, we still have Herm and Jones. 

So they'll take their time with Adell, Marsh and Maitan. 

But Canning will likely be pushed up to AA at some point next year with an eye on being ready at some point in 2019, along with Barria, which should make for a great infusion of pitching talent.

15 minutes ago, Ohtani&Trout said:

It's good to see that our farm system is getting some recognition and praise. But Acuna #1 over Ohtani in BA's top 100? Nah.

Dude broke out in a big way this year.  One of those guys where the ball sound different coming off the bat.  Skill set and swing like a young J. Upton  

He actually improved with each promo last year from A+ to AA to AAA.  Whiffs a ton like J. Up as well but not a great walk rate.  Could he be the next Brandon Wood?  I don't think so.  Dude is legit.  

Lot of people discounting Ohtani's ability to hit.   Law and crew stating that major leaguers had success busting him in and they never did that in NPB.  My point on that is he's 23.  Not like he's going to the majors from NPB at age 28 or 29 in his prime.  He's far from a complete player.  He's athletic, has power, good bat speed and can run.  By the look of things, he actually makes pretty good contact as well.  Even if he doesn't hit like Ichiro with Matsui's power the first couple years, what's to say he won't get better?  The guys is kind of a freak.  

So to ding him for having a near .975 ops in what amount to AAA for the last 2 years seems like a reach.  

Anyway, we're gonna find out pretty damn quick here.  

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Isn't the NPB more like AAAA than AAA?

probably.  I was giving their theory the benefit of the doubt.   But he finished 2nd in the league in batting two years in a row even though ABs were limited.  

personally think his impact with the bat is being under-estimated and that with his arm being a bit over-estimated.  

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Isn't the NPB more like AAAA than AAA?

NPB is just a different beast altogether. From a sheer talent perspective, they're pretty even with AA. But they preach different parts of the game, and focus on competing as an individual unit and not so much as a conglomeration of talent. So they'd beat most AAA teams despite being less talented.

The game is different too. Constant roar of the crowd, dirt infields, contact oriented style of play. They move runners over, play excellent defense and treat every game like an expert chess match, just waiting for the opponent to make a mistake. The fields are shorter, the ball is slightly different and there's less individual flair.

Pitchers generally sit 89-91, but they throw 5 different pitches for strikes and will change arm angles and everything. 

Truthfully, I like the Japanese game better. Every game is a playoff atmosphere, they don't care about even playing field, they'll alter their fields to gain any advantage. Some grass is kept taller, some have practically no batters eye. There's never a quiet moment, never a cookie cutter Stadium.

But that in itself is what makes Shohei so unique. He throws 10 mph harder than everyone, and he hits 450 foot bombs. He strikes out more often but is also faster. This kid is a national icon, a living legend at the age of 23.

He never played like a typical Japanese player. He was always more than that. The Japanese are just as interested in seeing him succeed as a two-way player as we are. 

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Dude broke out in a big way this year.  One of those guys where the ball sound different coming off the bat.  Skill set and swing like a young J. Upton  

He actually improved with each promo last year from A+ to AA to AAA.  Whiffs a ton like J. Up as well but not a great walk rate.  Could he be the next Brandon Wood?  I don't think so.  Dude is legit.  

Lot of people discounting Ohtani's ability to hit.   Law and crew stating that major leaguers had success busting him in and they never did that in NPB.  My point on that is he's 23.  Not like he's going to the majors from NPB at age 28 or 29 in his prime.  He's far from a complete player.  He's athletic, has power, good bat speed and can run.  By the look of things, he actually makes pretty good contact as well.  Even if he doesn't hit like Ichiro with Matsui's power the first couple years, what's to say he won't get better?  The guys is kind of a freak.  

So to ding him for having a near .975 ops in what amount to AAA for the last 2 years seems like a reach.  

Anyway, we're gonna find out pretty damn quick here.  

I think Law is down on him as a hitter because he has a long swing that probably won't translate as well to MLB. He'll have to make adjustments. As you point out, he's only 23. But you also fail to mention that he'll probably be hitting a maximum of 3 days a week. It's tough to improve getting so few reps. There's a reason MLB teams don't bring up stud prospects to sit on the bench. It's because the reps are important. Ohtani probably has the higher ceiling, but he also has more bust potential. He's not the hitter Acuna is and he already has the elbow issues as a pitcher. Pitchers are more risky to begin with.

What a world of difference....
Here's MLB's Top 30 Angels from two years ago...

1) Alcantara 2) Gatto 3) Smith 4) Baldoquin 5) Ward 6) Kubitza 7) Jones 8) Cowart 9) Garcia 10) Jewell
11) Delgado 12) Mahle 13) Hinshaw 14) Cunningham 15) Rhoades 16) McGowin 17) Long 18) Yarbrough 19) Sanger 20) Barria
21) Robichaux 22) Green 23) Suarez 24) Survance Jr. 25) Fletcher 26) Adams 27) Bandy 28) Anderson 29) Yacinich 30) Briceno

What really stands out to me isn't just how far we've come, but how incredibly good Eppler has been at evaluating talent and making use of the farm in trades. He was somehow able to turn four of those names into Upton, Maybin, Maldonado, and Espinosa - four full-time players (in theory) without any of it biting us in the ass, yet at least.

By my count, 16 of the 30 prospects on MLB's list this year were acquired by Eppler, by draft, trade, or signing.

17 hours ago, krAbs said:

Good marks all around, but that Adell review is good enough to really turn heads. Describes him as a center-fielder with plus speed, a plus arm, and "with 80 raw power and huge exit velocities already in pro ball, as well as the aptitude to adjust to the challenges he’ll face when he sees better pitching in the Midwest League this year."

Maybe Eric Davis comp?

Potential 30-30 guy?

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

What a world of difference....
Here's MLB's Top 30 Angels from two years ago...

1) Alcantara 2) Gatto 3) Smith 4) Baldoquin 5) Ward 6) Kubitza 7) Jones 8) Cowart 9) Garcia 10) Jewell
11) Delgado 12) Mahle 13) Hinshaw 14) Cunningham 15) Rhoades 16) McGowin 17) Long 18) Yarbrough 19) Sanger 20) Barria
21) Robichaux 22) Green 23) Suarez 24) Survance Jr. 25) Fletcher 26) Adams 27) Bandy 28) Anderson 29) Yacinich 30) Briceno

What really stands out to me isn't just how far we've come, but how incredibly good Eppler has been at evaluating talent and making use of the farm in trades. He was somehow able to turn four of those names into Upton, Maybin, Maldonado, and Espinosa - four full-time players (in theory) without any of it biting us in the ass, yet at least.

By my count, 16 of the 30 prospects on MLB's list this year were acquired by Eppler, by draft, trade, or signing.

That top 30 is really depressing lol Really shows how far we have come in just a short time.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3511668

31 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Damn, Maitan disrespeckt

im sure if his bat improves this year he’ll shoot up these lists next year.  

I'm not worried. To some extent these lists don't matter. Having a good system is very important. But Maitan has plenty of time to work his way onto these lists. If he performs them he'll get the recognition.