• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani not on 40-Man

Hubs

7 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Shohei was coming off ankle surgery. With none planned, the Angels and Ohtani should be operating at full capacity. Yes, there will be caution, and it will take time to figure out what works and doesn't, and what that routine will look like. 

I agree. I had him pegged for 140-150 innings and 250-300 PAs, depending upon performance and injury luck. I really don't think that workload is crazy-- or, at least it's no more crazy than a guy trying to be a high-level hitter and pitcher in the Majors. 

If you think he starts once per week, that's say 25-27 starts. If he averages 6 IP per start, that's around 150 innings. 

If he DH's three games a week, and averages 4.5 plate appearances, which as a DH hopefully hitting in the middle of the order should do, that would be 365 PA.

I'm fine with that.

13 hours ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I agree. I had him pegged for 140-150 innings and 250-300 PAs, depending upon performance and injury luck. I really don't think that workload is crazy-- or, at least it's no more crazy than a guy trying to be a high-level hitter and pitcher in the Majors. 

8 hours ago, Hubs said:

If you think he starts once per week, that's say 25-27 starts. If he averages 6 IP per start, that's around 150 innings. 

If he DH's three games a week, and averages 4.5 plate appearances, which as a DH hopefully hitting in the middle of the order should do, that would be 365 PA.

I'm fine with that.

i appreciate you guys trying to do the math on this. i think how he's used in ST will give us an insight into what sosh is thinking and planning for him. there's going to be a big learning curve for him to adjust to the MLB and living in the US. there's also going to be a big learning curve for sosh in learning how best to utilize his unique talents.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

i appreciate you guys trying to do the math on this. i think how he's used in ST will give us an insight into what sosh is thinking and planning for him. there's going to be a big learning curve for him to adjust to the MLB and living in the US. there's also going to be a big learning curve for sosh in learning how best to utilize his unique talents.

+1

Ohtani is very talented and comes in with a lot of fanfare but we have no idea what we’re getting. Daisuke? Darvish? Tanaka? Igawa? Irabu? One thing we do know for sure is that we’re not getting Babe Ruth. I think this season will be a trial run on what type of player he can be and if this 2-way player thing will even work.

yeah, let's see a few games in Tempe and then twice through the league to see if the $22 million paid to his Japanese team qualifies as a charitable contribution or not.

and before all that, let's see if he can throw/ bat at all when he shows up in Tempe.

still, this is going to be good for the Halos -- I imagine ticket sales are up and plans are being made to install a larger press box area to accommodate all the foreign press corp,

Ohtani's AB and IP's are going to likely be broadcast live in Japan

3 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I had no idea being a DH was so exhausting and dangerous.

In and of itself it isn’t.  But he will need fresh legs to pitch.  This isn’t a station to station team and he isn’t a station to station runner.  

If he has ace potential and he’s also really good with the bat, wouldn’t you rather protect his pitch ability rather than get an extra DH start from him?  

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

In and of itself it isn’t.  But he will need fresh legs to pitch.  This isn’t a station to station team and he isn’t a station to station runner.  

If he has ace potential and he’s also really good with the bat, wouldn’t you rather protect his pitch ability rather than get an extra DH start from him?  

I think the day before will allow him to focus/prepare better. Also, rest the legs.

I think the day after is 100% about rest. His legs and arm will be tired/sore the day after he pitches.

On 12/30/2017 at 11:59 AM, Stradling said:

OMG, how did I ever play basketball two games per week in high school, attend two hours of hard practice during the weekdays AND study six courses? I must have been superhuman.

I just dont see how being a DH is such a threat to his "pitch ability". More pitchers are hurt pitching than they are hitting. Maybe he should just DH, if it's all about avoiding injury and minimizing the "concentration days" before and after he pitches.

7 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

OMG, how did I ever play basketball two games per week in high school, attend two hours of hard practice during the weekdays AND study six courses? I must have been superhuman.

I just dont see how being a DH is such a threat to his "pitch ability". More pitchers are hurt pitching than they are hitting. Maybe he should just DH, if it's all about avoiding injury and minimizing the "concentration days" before and after he pitches.

172090.png

As I understand, his schedule from Japan won't necessarily remain his schedule here. Ohtani is open to playing more here than he did in Japan, where he was handled with bubble wrap because of his inevitable move to MLB.

So in Japan, he'd basically pitch once a week and DH twice a week. I'm guessing the Angels handle him in a similar way, but there remains the possibility that things change here. 

He'll still pitch once a week regardless, but if he ends up hitting significantly better than Valbuena, he might end up hitting when he pitches. He also may end up DHing more frequently.

We'll just have to see how it all shakes out.

35 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I don’t know man, ask the other 5 teams that were finalists.  The Angels were the only team that was going to let him hit and pitch.  I’m guessing being a full time hitter and pitching is hard, since no one else does it.  Madison Bumgardner is a very good hitter, he doesn’t DH in AL parks.  Rick Reushel was a good hitter he didn’t.  Mike Hampton hit .290 one year with 7 homers, he never DHed.  

The team is responsible for keeping him healthy enough to be the pitcher we all hope he can be. Not to mention it’s not just about injuries it’s about fatigue.  

Sorry he isn’t everything you expect him to be.  

59 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t know man, ask the other 5 teams that were finalists.  The Angels were the only team that was going to let him hit and pitch.  I’m guessing being a full time hitter and pitching is hard, since no one else does it.  Madison Bumgardner is a very good hitter, he doesn’t DH in AL parks.  Rick Reushel was a good hitter he didn’t.  Mike Hampton hit .290 one year with 7 homers, he never DHed.  

The team is responsible for keeping him healthy enough to be the pitcher we all hope he can be. Not to mention it’s not just about injuries it’s about fatigue.  

Sorry he isn’t everything you expect him to be.  

Every team likely guaranteed him the opportunity to hit and pitch. If they didn't, they probably weren't even considered.

23 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What? I don’t know where you got that. 

I am almost positive that’s what I read after his decision.  I could have sworn it was one of the reasons he chose the Angels outside feeling comfortable with the Angels presentation. I guess I misheard or misread it. 

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

I am almost positive that’s what I read after his decision.  I could have sworn it was one of the reasons he chose the Angels outside feeling comfortable with the Angels presentation. I guess I misheard or misread it. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Every team was going to let him hit. 

Stradling reads too much Angelswin.