• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin Top 30 Prospects Version 3.0

Second Base

46 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

We'll see how @Scotty@AW ends up grading them, but per John Sickels' approach here's how I would grade them:

1. Shohei Ohtani A : Expectations are high but the more I read about him, the more I think they're warranted.
  2. Jo Adell B+/A- : We need to see more before grading him higher, but could be A/A- a year from now.
  3. Jahmai Jones B/B+ - Very high floor, but his ceiling remains in question; looks like a Victorino/Hunter type borderline star, but also be just average. There's also a small but legitimate possibility that he becomes Andrew McCutchen.
  4. Brandon Marsh B:  I like his upside even more than Jones, but has a lower floor.
  5. Kevin Maitan B/B- : We'll see how he adjusts. Another player who could jump up quickly.
  6. Jaime Barria B- : A year ago he looked like a future #4-5, now he looks like a future #2-3. At worst he's Matt Shoemaker.
  7. Griffin Canning B- : The question is his health. He's going to move through the minors quickly if healthy.
  8. Matt Thaiss B- : Hasn't raised or lowered his stock in a year. High floor but low ceiling. 
  9. Chris Rodriguez B-/C+ : Yet another player who could be legit...or a bust.
  10. Michael Hermosillo B-/C+ : Probably 4th outfielder/fringe starter, but could also be a poor man's Curtis Granderson.
  11. Trent Deveaux C+: Could be on par with Adell/Jones/Marsh, or could be Chevy Clarke.
  12. Taylor Ward C+: Has solidified as a future major leaguer, but with a low ceiling.

I see 11-14 as C+ and 15-30 as either C/C+ or C. I'd probably rank Livan Soto #15 and make him a C+.

I think the only thing I disagree with is Maitan in my book should be #3 behind Adell, and I think the grades are a bit conservative with Maitan, Barria, and Canning.

It reads like Sickels' would. Good stuff AJ.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

We'll see how @Scotty@AW ends up grading them, but per John Sickels' approach here's how I would grade them:

1. Shohei Ohtani A : Expectations are high but the more I read about him, the more I think they're warranted.
  2. Jo Adell B+/A- : We need to see more before grading him higher, but could be A/A- a year from now.
  3. Jahmai Jones B/B+ - Very high floor, but his ceiling remains in question; looks like a Victorino/Hunter type borderline star, but also be just average. There's also a small but legitimate possibility that he becomes Andrew McCutchen.
  4. Brandon Marsh B:  I like his upside even more than Jones, but has a lower floor.
  5. Kevin Maitan B/B- : We'll see how he adjusts. Another player who could jump up quickly.
  6. Jaime Barria B- : A year ago he looked like a future #4-5, now he looks like a future #2-3. At worst he's Matt Shoemaker.
  7. Griffin Canning B- : The question is his health. He's going to move through the minors quickly if healthy.
  8. Matt Thaiss B- : Hasn't raised or lowered his stock in a year. High floor but low ceiling. 
  9. Chris Rodriguez B-/C+ : Yet another player who could be legit...or a bust.
  10. Michael Hermosillo B-/C+ : Probably 4th outfielder/fringe starter, but could also be a poor man's Curtis Granderson.
  11. Trent Deveaux C+: Could be on par with Adell/Jones/Marsh, or could be Chevy Clarke.
  12. Taylor Ward C+: Has solidified as a future major leaguer, but with a low ceiling.

I see 11-14 as C+ and 15-30 as either C/C+ or C. I'd probably rank Livan Soto #15 and make him a C+.

Interesting do you think that Barria can be 2, personally i have his ceiling as that of a 3, hopefully i'm wrong. Also i think Chris is a real deal as well, yes he struggled but they were few things that i liked out of him, 57 K and only allowing 2 hrs and 16 BB and he's only 19 and at Single A already.

Ps: i've read a report bit back about him and a scout said he may have better stuff than Morejon ( #69 on top 100). I really excited about Chris and how he progress thru next year and hopefully he can limit the hits allowed. 

28 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think the only thing I disagree with is Maitan in my book should be #3 behind Adell, and I think the grades are a bit conservative with Maitan, Barria, and Canning.

It reads like Sickels' would. Good stuff AJ.

Thanks. Yeah, I might adjust slightly, but I was going with the Angelswin rankings. 

6 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Interesting do you think that Barria can be 2, personally i have his ceiling as that of a 3, hopefully i'm wrong. Also i think Chris is a real deal as well, yes he struggled but they were few things that i liked out of him, 57 K and only allowing 2 hrs and 16 BB and he's only 19 and at Single A already.

Ps: i've read a report bit back about him and a scout said he may have better stuff than Morejon ( #69 on top 100). I really excited about Chris and how he progress thru next year and hopefully he can limit the hits allowed. 

Maybe a good #3. But he has the look of a pitcher who will be more than the sum of his parts. I like how well he's adjusted at each level, which bodes well for his major league career. 

Nice job.  

I would like to point out that our current 11-20 is probably as good as if not better than our top 10 prior to the start of the 2016 season.  

Agree with most of your grades AJ.  Sickels says that a B grade prospect has a good chance at enjoying a successful career.  Some stars but major league regulars.  

Ohtani counts as a prospect so it's fun to have the #1 overall is all of baseball.  

A couple of quick highlights.  

Jam Jones.  Had a .504 ops in his first 113 PA last year.  .867 ops the rest of the way as a 19yo CFer mostly in high A.  

Matt Thaiss, who we were all kinda disappointed with had 77 bb and a .375 obp as a 22 yo between A and AA.  

Even the aforementioned Taylor Ward had a .368 obp between A+ and AA.  A guy that could develop into a GG defender.  

Who knows what Deveaux is gonna be?  Or Griffin Canning.  

The best part is that it's fun again.  Or at least interesting.  

As good as Maldonado is behind the plate, and might hit better now that he’s used to catching 120-130 games, I’d just assume plot to keep him longterm and get Ward ready to catch the other 30-40 games.

Although if Perez progresses further, and Ward continues to put up a good OBP, Ward might become real good trade bait for a team wanting a young talented catcher to prep into a starting spot.

On 12/9/2017 at 4:45 PM, tdawg87 said:

He was definitely taken earlier than he should have been. But he's absolutely a top 15 prospect in this org. He doesn't have a high ceiling but he's got a very high floor. His defense alone will make him a major leaguer.

I think he'll always suffer (unfairly) in fans minds as they recall the Angels draft room celebrating like Trout just fell into their laps again when they drafted Ward - and the world said "who the hell is Taylor Ward?"

Hey, at least he's not Baldoquin ....

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

so let's ask the nickle question.  Who are you most comfortable trading away?

or I guess I should ask it the other way.  Who do you absolutely want to keep?  

Of course Ohtani doesn't count because he's not going anywhere.  I really want to hang on to Marsh and Chris Rodriguez.  

Adell and Barria for me. 

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Of course Ohtani doesn't count because he's not going anywhere.  I really want to hang on to Marsh and Chris Rodriguez.  

Would not trade- 

Jones- the closet to the majors, i'm starting to get a safe bet that he may be a regular in the show, with upside of Cain/ Mccutchen. As of right know i would give him a B- and has the potential B+. People outside of us are finally noticing him.  potential top 100 propect

Adell- Tremendous upside but still  far away, see him mold into an J Upton/Hunter/ Andrew Jones  kinda of player. Potential to be a really good player.

Marsh-   still young, but has shown advanced hitting ability with GG calibrated glove. Injuries are the major concerns but if he stats healthy could be a better prospect than Jones.

Barris- Closet Sp to the Majors, has excited expectations

Rodriguez- too much potential to sell off right now, already at Single-A  at 19, if he can limit the hits could see him in majors by 2020.

may or may not.

Maitain- Still need to see improvement.

Canning- same as Maitain

Castillo

Ward. 

9 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

As good as Maldonado is behind the plate, and might hit better now that he’s used to catching 120-130 games, I’d just assume plot to keep him longterm and get Ward ready to catch the other 30-40 games.

Although if Perez progresses further, and Ward continues to put up a good OBP, Ward might become real good trade bait for a team wanting a young talented catcher to prep into a starting spot.

I like Maldonado a lot, but he's on the wrong side of 30, and given how grueling of a defensive position catcher is, I'd like to be proactive in finding a replacement/supplement.  

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except that Maldonado hasn't caught a lot of games each season.   He may be as fresh in 2018 as someone still in their late 20s. 

I'm not too worried about 2018, but he's a FA after this season.  I'd like to retain him, but it might be prudent to start searching for a replacement / new primary catcher.  The Dodgers have a stacked farm system when it comes to catching - perhaps a deal could be made with them to help supplement.

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

That's a great conversation starter, Doc!

For me, it's a balance. Prospects need to have trade value, but also must figure into our future.

No Trade

Michael Hermosillo - Other teams won't value him as much and he's capable of being more than just a 4th OF.

Jo Adell - The next Byron Buxton. No thanks, I think we'll keep him.

Jaime Barria - Teams always chase the sexy fastball. Barria doesn't have it and thus his trade value is limited, despite the fact that he'll be a mid-rotation starter in short order.

Brandon Marsh - Left handed power, something we just don't have.

Willing to trade 

Jahmai Jones - His ETA doesn't fit out OF scheme because Trout will be an Angel for life. While he does have some Cutch in him, he's also got some 4th OF otential to him, like Trayce Thompson.

Chris Rodriguez - Teams pay a premium for upside like his, and I believe there's a chance he ends up in relief.

Matt Thaiss - Even after adding all that muscle, he still isn't hitting for power and his BA isn't where I thought it would be. A .270 hitter with only 10 HR power at 1B? Then again, a .350 OBP and 40 DB would be nice. Still a tradable asset to me.