• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gordon or Moustakas

Torridd

Gordon or Moustakas?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you choose? It seems likely the Angels will pick up at least one. Who should that be if it had to be one?

If I had to choose one of these two I’d choose Gordon.  One, we need a second baseman more than a third baseman.  Two we need a lead off hitter.  Three I like the idea of having more speed on the team, it just adds more excitement.  Four, we know what his contract looks like.  

Gordon's ability to get on base is largely dependent upon his ability to hit for average and his batting average is largely dependent upon his ability to run. He's going to slow down, the question is how much? If he can steal around 40 bases instead of 60, he will still be a very good player. But if he's anything like Michael Bourn and his foot speed falls off a cliff, Gordon is useless.

Moustakas sacrificed being a smart selective hitter for the HR. With the success of it, that's just basically who he will be going forward. 

Chabces are, Gordon steal 60 bases is done now. He'll steal 40, then 30, and settle in right there, and thus his OBP will be ok, but not good.

My vote is neither. You have one that will get on base but not for long and another that hits HR's in an era where they are common, but doesn't reach base.

37 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Gordon has four years left on his contract. The contract runs through his age 33 season. He is sure to lose some foot speed. The question is how much in four years, and how much that will affect his hitting (especially batting average).

Upton is slightly older and got a five year deal so I hope you’re wrong about that. 

57 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They are entirely different players.  One is based on speed the other is much more well rounded.  

Yeah well I remember when a 35 year old Lou Brock stole 118 bases. I don’t see how a 29 year old Gordon with three years left on his deal can have an aging issue during that contract. 

Now on the other hand Melvin Upton jr and Justin Upton remind me of the Jeff Weaver / Jered Weaver comparison. I think that Justin Upton will physically decline faster than Gordon. But I’m still happy that we have a solid left fielder.

36 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Yeah well I remember when a 35 year old Lou Brock stole 118 bases. I don’t see how a 29 year old Gordon with three years left on his deal can have an aging issue during that contract. 

Now on the other hand Melvin Upton jr and Justin Upton remind me of the Jeff Weaver / Jered Weaver comparison. I think that Justin Upton will physically decline faster than Gordon. But I’m still happy that we have a solid left fielder.

So you pick the second most prolific base stealer in the history of the game to make your point.  You and FS are pretty good at that.  I’m guessing for every Brock there are 1000 guys that slow down in their early 30’s.  As for comparing the two brothers, they are also entirely different players.  One was sped with some power, the other is power with some speed.  As has been discussed power declines much slower than speed.  I actually think Gordon is a good fit.  He’s not perfect but he’d help us win games.  

3 hours ago, Torridd said:

There seems to be a lot of buzz on the site on these two players. I wanted to know, given an either/or scenario, who you would pick. 

Gordon because he will cost us probably two prospects whose names most of us don't even realize are in our farm system while Moose will require nearly twice the payroll space likely providing similar overall production.

Two low-tier prospects + $10M AAV or $17M-$22M AAV? I'll take the former, personally.

I would also say neither. Mous is coming off a career year and all he can do is hit home runs. Gordon would be expensive and is also a one trick pony. Honestly, I'd rather go for Prado and rotate him around 2b and 3b. He'd come cheap in a trade and has a somewhat reasonable price tag.