• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rough year for Angel fans

Second Base

1 hour ago, VariousCrap said:

Between the Yanks/Dodgers, I'd only be watching in hopes of watching the Dogs lose.  

My sons Little League team has practice on Wednesdays.  I'm going to tell the team that Dodger fans can stay home to watch Game Two.  I get it, it's been 29 years for them.

My son and I will be on the field at that time practicing. 

Enjoy the moments while they last. My son is starting 11U just now. Time is flying by :(

16 hours ago, Bull58 said:

I guess the only thing I'd look forward to is if the Yankees win, we'd see an old school rivalry that dates back to the 1940s when the Dodgers played in Brooklyn and kept losing to their "big brother". They only won one WS out of the six times against the Yankees while in Brooklyn in the WS.

The announcers would be announcing with every play that they.....

278605-the-lonely-island-jizzed-in-my-pa

If the Yanks win tomorrow I'll go to game 1 of the WS at the latrine. I'm a fan of the game so being there to watch history will be special for me. 

I wont cheer for either team but I'll look for Joe West and berate him every chance I get. That's how much I love this sport. 

Normally, I would root for the S. Cal team and the California team in the W/S or really any playoff -- I rooted for the Ducks to do well when the Kings missed the playoffs here two seasons in a row now.......

And I may still be kinda for the Dodgers to beat the Yankees if that's the match up --- probably be for Houston and Altuve (hard not to like the way that guy plays -- a friend of mine calls him this MLB era's  Pete Rose (on the field playing stuff not the other stuff and the more recent revelations stuff - just the 200 hits a season and ON FIELD hustle between the lines stuff)..

And it's not so much of being a scorned Angels fan from days of yore (because I liked the Dodgers back then -- and the team/ ownership even if O'Malley did treat Gene Autry and the Halos poorly as a tenant in the early years)........but because of the strange post O'Malley ownership era of the Dodgers where the former Dodger Way was lost and even more so with the FORESEEABLE DISASTER of the McCourt ownership -- 

So it's really indifference to the Dodgers more than dis-like because I'm a Halos fan.

I don't like the Dodger ballpark any more - went to many games there from the late 60's to the mid 80's.....but have not been to a game there in at least 20 years now.

Of course, did make it to the Big A at all this season and did not even go to see a game in Tempe in March.

GO LOS ANGELES KINGS !! 

See, I find my allegiances shift, from year to year. I've become more of a BASEBALL fan, overall, than one who is beholden to one specific team.

I analyze the teams each year and root for ones who have made themselves competitive through savvy trades and developing players from within. I was all for the Royals in 2015 and the Cubs in 2016. Those Giant teams in the early part of this decade were just so weirdly, unpredictably good. Complete overachievers.

As a hold-over from the era when the Yankees basically bought pennants with high-priced free agents, I am turned off to free agent team-building as an overriding  strategy. In retrospect, the golden era of free agency (from the late 70s, on) was probably the start of weakening my team allegiances. I admire PLAYERS, and interesting groupings of PLAYERS on teams, more than a franchise itself. With free agency, those groupings can change so rapidly. A really good player might only be with a team for a set number of years. More and more free agents are signing one and two year contracts.

It's hard NOT to admire the Dodgers and the Astros, for me. Even the Yankees are a product of developing and trading for good, young players. They have two, aging big-money, free agents that dont play that much (CC and Ellsbury). Dare I say it, I find myself admiring all the good young talent that the Red Sox have developed. I still dislike the franchise, mostly because of their fans, but I admire what they have accomplished so soon after finishing in last place for two years in a row.

This new way of thinking has served me very well, as a moderate fan of the Angels. Few good trades, few good farm hands to make it, extremely poor free agency selections. I have found very little to admire about the Angels since the train wreck that is Arte's ownership, came into town. If Trout jumps ship, I am probably done as an Angel fan, if Arte still owns the team. Now that Loria is out as an owner, it is only the Wilpons that are keeping Arte from the title of "worst owner in baseball, IMO.

Fortunately, as a lover of BASEBALL, I have 29 other teams I can potentially admire, in any given year. 

41 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

See, I find my allegiances shift, from year to year. I've become more of a BASEBALL fan, overall, than one who is beholden to one specific team.

I analyze the teams each year and root for ones who have made themselves competitive through savvy trades and developing players from within. I was all for the Royals in 2015 and the Cubs in 2016. Those Giant teams in the early part of this decade were just so weirdly, unpredictably good. Complete overachievers.

As a hold-over from the era when the Yankees basically bought pennants with high-priced free agents, I am turned off to free agent team-building as an overriding  strategy. In retrospect, the golden era of free agency (from the late 70s, on) was probably the start of weakening my team allegiances. I admire PLAYERS, and interesting groupings of PLAYERS on teams, more than a franchise itself. With free agency, those groupings can change so rapidly. A really good player might only be with a team for a set number of years. More and more free agents are signing one and two year contracts.

It's hard NOT to admire the Dodgers and the Astros, for me. Even the Yankees are a product of developing and trading for good, young players. They have two, aging big-money, free agents that dont play that much (CC and Ellsbury). Dare I say it, I find myself admiring all the good young talent that the Red Sox have developed. I still dislike the franchise, mostly because of their fans, but I admire what they have accomplished so soon after finishing in last place for two years in a row.

This new way of thinking has served me very well, as a moderate fan of the Angels. Few good trades, few good farm hands to make it, extremely poor free agency selections. I have found very little to admire about the Angels since the train wreck that is Arte's ownership, came into town. If Trout jumps ship, I am probably done as an Angel fan, if Arte still owns the team. Now that Loria is out as an owner, it is only the Wilpons that are keeping Arte from the title of "worst owner in baseball, IMO.

Fortunately, as a lover of BASEBALL, I have 29 other teams I can potentially admire, in any given year. 

I’m jealous 

56 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I analyze the teams each year and root for ones who have made themselves competitive through savvy trades and developing players from within. I was all for the Royals in 2015 and the Cubs in 2016. Those Giant teams in the early part of this decade were just so weirdly, unpredictably good. Complete overachievers...

...It's hard NOT to admire the Dodgers and the Astros, for me. Even the Yankees are a product of developing and trading for good, young players. They have two, aging big-money, free agents that dont play that much (CC and Ellsbury). Dare I say it, I find myself admiring all the good young talent that the Red Sox have developed. I still dislike the franchise, mostly because of their fans, but I admire what they have accomplished so soon after finishing in last place for two years in a row.

This is the very definition of Band Wagon Fan.

There is something about a train wreck that engenders a desire to watch..........unless you are on the train. For me, self-preservation takes over, at that point. 

Allegiance has to be continually earned. In a country or a franchise or even a player. Arte has done nothing to earn my allegiance, in the last several years. 

I would contend that is is not bandwaggoning to place players over franchises. To reward good team management of players with admiration, is logical.

Even so, is bandwaggoning such a negative thing? I changed girlfriends, cars, credit card allegiances, jobs, political parties when they let me down. Is it bandwaggoning to want to admire and/or utilize something better?

Giving allegiance or respect when it isn't earned is foolish. Fool me once, fool me twice.......................

BTW, Altuve IS my favorite player, at this point. But the only jersey/pennant I own is a generic jersey from a team in Mexico;  the Obregon Yaquis. Just not into all the MLB bling/duds, etc.

On 10/21/2017 at 2:19 AM, Calzone said:

Remember when Cameron Maybin vowed to bring passion and energy to the clubhouse....

I know you're just being you and shitting on a guy for no reason other than you don't like him but, they did go 10-17 and fall out of contention after letting him go to Houston...     My guess is Troll Daddy enjoyed the Angels season more when he was around and they were winning.   

16 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Mets fan: "Cry me a river."

One of the nice things about not growing up in SoCal is I never developed Dodgers Butthurt, which has nothing to do with being an Angels fan and everything to do with growing up in SoCal while being an Angels fan.

Butthurt as I know it is being overly bent or unjustifiably resentful...   Forgive me if I'm mistaken in it's actual meaning.

Anyway, since you didn't grow up in SoCal then you never did have to put up with Dodger fan mockery and their constant bullshit -- it had everything to do with being an Angels fan..  Truth is that anyone that followed the team during those years when the Dodgers were WS contenders and the Angels were a second division club (that had never won anything), caught a lot of shit from loudmouth Dodger fans for no other reason than they were Angels fans.   The disdain for the Dodgers (and their fans), from those people while silly (post 2002), was never unjustified.  

So, save the butthurt commentary for the next round of Harper hate, at least there it fits.  

48 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I know you're just being you and shitting on a guy for no reason other than you don't like him but, they did go 10-17 and fall out of contention after letting him go to Houston...     My guess is Troll Daddy enjoyed the Angels season more when he was around and they were winning.   

Well not to get into a long winded discussion about Maybin but he really didn’t do anything for us. His September with Houston was even worse. He was a Detroit salary dump to begin with. He had zero impact here and that’s why we dumped him. He was not a difference maker which is why the Astros will also let him walk. End of story.

10 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Well not to get into a long winded discussion about Maybin but he really didn’t do anything for us. His September with Houston was even worse. He was a Detroit salary dump to begin with. He had zero impact here and that’s why we dumped him. He was not a difference maker which is why the Astros will also let him walk. End of story.

Maybin's 2016 season was a big fluke. Had a super high BABIP in 2016 with the Tigers. BABIP is not always perfect but I don't think Maybin has ever been a guy who has hit a lot of balls with high exit velocity.

I'd take Maybin in the World Series.  He could easily be involved in double switches as well as pinch hitting and certainly pinch running considering he was one of the leaders in stolen bases this year.    He has skills needed to help win a game.  Not every player is going to be Trout or even Upton.  To say we dumped him would be disingenuous.  We traded for a better player, and someone was willing to take on his salary.  If he was left handed he would have been kept instead of Revere.