• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New Yorker piece on Harvey Weinstein

Adam

I hear people ask all the time about why women don't come forward more often. 

The systems that people in power construct to silence rape/assault victims are meticulously built and maintained over decades.  Look at how systemitized it was with this pig fucker, and how many people were complicit?  If I knew that turning down a powerful exec/politician/entertainer/whatever could keep me from getting jobs/$$$$ in my field, what would I do?  It's something I've never had to face, but candid conversations with women make it clear that women from all walks of life face it constantly.  They're almost blase about it because it's something they've grown up having to deal with. 

Hell, politicians keep trying to force women to co-parent children with their rapists. It's the tip of the iceberg.  Why aren't they all coming forward?  Really?

7 minutes ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

I hear people ask all the time about why women don't come forward more often. 

The systems that people in power construct to silence rape/assault victims are meticulously built and maintained over decades.  Look at how systemitized it was with this pig fucker, and how many people were complicit?  If I knew that turning down a powerful exec/politician/entertainer/whatever could keep me from getting jobs/$$$$ in my field, what would I do?  It's something I've never had to face, but candid conversations with women make it clear that women from all walks of life face it constantly.  They're almost blase about it because it's something they've grown up having to deal with. 

Hell, politicians keep trying to force women to co-parent children with their rapists. It's the tip of the iceberg.  Why aren't they all coming forward?  Really?

I agree with you but that was a judge.  

Grossness of the stories aside I find it amusing that not only did this go on for years but supposedly some well known actors squashed stories that would have broken 10+ years ago and outed this.  Lorne Michaels was quoted as saying he didn't ridicule Weinstein on SNL because it's 'a New York thing' yet he somehow has no issues going after another well known NY'er who is a Republican.  This entire story has just magnified the hypocrisy that's been running rampant but I know it cuts both ways. 

This guy is what the industry was in the 80's. He did didn't change because he reached the top of the heap and had so much power. The industry really doesn't tolerate this anymore, at least on any level that can be accountable. These old school guys are being outed and ostracized quietly but Harvey is not the last guy standing.

20 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Grossness of the stories aside I find it amusing that not only did this go on for years but supposedly some well known actors squashed stories that would have broken 10+ years ago and outed this.  Lorne Michaels was quoted as saying he didn't ridicule Weinstein on SNL because it's 'a New York thing' yet he somehow has no issues going after another well known NY'er who is a Republican.  This entire story has just magnified the hypocrisy that's been running rampant but I know it cuts both ways. 

My thoughts also.  Jokes have been made about this for a while.  These actresses like Streep, who have suddenly come out against this, are also very big supporters of Polanski.  Which I find very hypocritical.  

15 hours ago, gotbeer said:

My thoughts also.  Jokes have been made about this for a while.  These actresses like Streep, who have suddenly come out against this, are also very big supporters of Polanski.  Which I find very hypocritical.  

Yep.

It's important that we recognize that they aren't the only hypocrites here:

A whole bunch of people recently made a guy who has been accused of sexual assault and who has similarly paid to make cases go away the effing POTUS, knowing full well that he'd been accused multiple times.

Hypocrites everywhere!

48 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

Yep.

It's important that we recognize that they aren't the only hypocrites here:

A whole bunch of people recently made a guy who has been accused of sexual assault and who has similarly paid to make cases go away the effing POTUS, knowing full well that he'd been accused multiple times.

Hypocrites everywhere!

But Trump!

Weinstein has long been a Clinton donor with ties to the political family. Weinstein was one of many from Hollywood who donated to Bill Clinton's legal defense fund in the 1990s, a Washington Post report from the time stated. More recently, the Clintons rented a home next to Weinstein in the Hamptons in 2015, and Weinstein served as a connector between Hollywood stars and Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign.

Weinstein was a bundler for Obama as well, and the Hollywood giant visited the White House on several occasions during Obama's tenure. At a White House event for student films in 2013, first lady Michelle Obama credited Weinstein for making the event happen and praised him as a wonderful person and a good friend.

But Bill and Hillary and the Obama's.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/09/politics/clinton-obama-weinstein/index.html

Edited by Blarg

27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

this dude just looks like he does the shit people are saying

Not only that but the story I read had him firing one off into a planter and telling the woman something like "that was fun we should hang out again some time" like it was nothing because to him it really was.  If you or I forget to zip up after using the restroom we could end up as registered sex offenders or doing time.  Meanwhile this dude will probably get away with a slap on the wrist and a golden parachute.   Lifestyles of the extremely rich and famous.    

What's weird is I thought this was all close to common knowledge. Not to this extent and specifics, but there has been tons of talk about Harvey Weinstein "helping" woman's careers for years. Like a very commonly spread rumor/accusation was that Gwenyth Paltrow "slept her way to the top" which I'm assuming all started with Shakespeare in Love which was a Miramax hit. Just weird how all this stuff that seemed to be quietly acknowledged and almost accepted as a "casting couch/it is what is" scenario all just flooding out now. I don't really buy a lot of celebrities saying they had no idea about this going on until now.

I don't really recall specifically, but I think there were even some alluding to this in Down and Dirty Pictures by Peter Biskind which covers the Weinsteins pretty heavily

It's common knowledge that he whips it out in front of random women, masturbates and tells them it was fun let's do it again?  I don't follow movies or the industry as much as you and sleeping ones way to the top or some form of quid pro quo is something I assume Hollywood epitomizes.  That said my naive mind wouldn't think someone has been doing what he has for decades while getting away with it but that's because I don't live in that world.  

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Yup

Nope. I'm not by any means excusing anything that Weinstein did. He's an awful dude. I just don't understand how some people who are reacting with disgust to to this didn't do so similarly for Trump, not that they shouldn't be reacting with disdain to Weinstein's history. The same goes for anybody that was attacking Trump while looking the other way on guys like Weinstein. They're both garbage.