• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Upton will likely opt-out

nate

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You cant argue with Upton"s production.

I would be very happy to keep him.

The only thing that scares me is the 180 strikeouts.

Strikeouts don't bug me if you produce despite the strikeouts.  But isn't it reasonable to worry a bit about what 180k turns into over the next 4 Years or more?  At some point you become that guy with 200k and an under .300 OB. . .and you shouldnt be paying monster money for that kind of player.

And Eppler's seemingly tried to focus on players who don't strikeout much, at least his first offseason - overall, I think the Angels had fewest k's in the league if not almost all of baseball.

He broke from that this offseason though bringing in guys like Espinosa and Maldonado

Upton is almost sure to opt out -- not sure where he winds up but he had a great season and his stats look good.

Some team will either top his current contract or extent it out an extra year or two.

Not sure if he wants to wind up on the West Coast but he would fit in pretty well in the SF Giants line up.

Hunter Pence is done there and the Giants need some offensive fire power from the OF......

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Hosmer is growing on me a bit.  

To the point I favor him over signing a guy like Moustakas.  I wonder if Colorado would have any interest in Cron?  They've got some 2b/3b pieces that could work for us.  

Why not think outside the box, and consider JD Martinez for first base?

2 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Best case scenario is that he opts out and the Angels don't even give him an offer. The last thing this team needs is another massive contract to a 30 something year old who was never spectacular to begin with.

The last thing this team needs is another bunch of platoon players that have manned left field since Anderson moved on. We have had below league average performance from that position baring the one year Hamilton didn't completly suck. 

Upton is a career .269/.348/.479/.828 hitter. That is world's apart from what the Angels have managed to put in left for a decade. Upton doesn't need to be spectacular to be a spectacular improvement for the lineup.

The Angels need this player and for that reason I'm pretty sure he will opt to renegotiate a contract with the Angels and that will actually be a good thing for the franchise and for Upton.

8 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Sign Lorenzo Cain and stuff Trout in left field ... .300 Ave .363 OBP .803 OPS and yea, he's a gold glove defender too

Cheaper and better fit imo

I'm hoping Upton stays as I like him, but if he does go, I really like this idea.

J. Upton

2017 (age 29): 5.7 WAR, value 40+ million (@8 mill/1WAR)

2016 (28): 2 WAR

2015 (27): 4.4 WAR

2014 (26): 3.2

2013 (25): 2.9

2012 (24): 2.5

2011 (23): 6.1

So, averaging almost 4 WAR throughout his prime.  Assuming he averages 4 for the next 5 he'd have a value of 160 million over that time.  If he averages 3 WAR over the next 5, value would be 120 mill.  

Seems worth the risk.  

8 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Sign Lorenzo Cain and stuff Trout in left field ... .300 Ave .363 OBP .803 OPS and yea, he's a gold glove defender too

Cheaper and better fit imo

This.  Upton has a history of being very inconsistent.  He had a great year but he's had plenty of mediocre ones.  Plus he's a terrible defender, seems like his mind is in outer space half the time.

22 hours ago, Calzone said:

Upton had better not try to push his luck with Arte. Remember what Arte said about bringing back Torii Hunter. 

"I tell you what, if we don't figure out a way to re-sign him, we're going to get hung, aren't we?" Moreno said.

Wasn't that after Hunter said he'd play here for free? 

Edited by Lou

13 hours ago, TSD said:

This.  Upton has a history of being very inconsistent.  He had a great year but he's had plenty of mediocre ones.  Plus he's a terrible defender, seems like his mind is in outer space half the time.

Upton has never had a mediocre year and he has never had any extended time on the DL. If anything he has been been about as reliable as any player in baseball for lacing them up and playing at a high level every year for the last decade.

People who don't want him are making up a history that isn't Justin's and are probably confusing him with his erratic brother Melvin aka BJ Upton.