• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Winning is important to Upton

CanadianHalo

I think Upton may want to know what direction the Angels are going to go this offseason before commiting.

Given that he needs to decide within 3 days after the World Series ends, what Upton does could be a good indication for us fans as to what we can expect this offseason from Eppler and Arte.

I've had the idea he'd sign with the Nationals. He's from the Virginia Beach area, played travel ball with fellow Virginian Ryan Zimmerman and he would replace Jason Werth.

The Nationals owner has shown he'll spend the bucks to be a winner.

It would be a signing by the Nationals to protect them if Harper went elsewhere in 2019 or they chose to let him go to spend the money elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Calzone said:

He did a nice job for us and I don't think he will opt out. He's making good money and playing in SoCal. If he leaves, it's because he doesn't want to play here.

There's plenty of reasons for him to opt out.

1- His stock has grown since he signed the first deal.

2- CA sales tax will take a large chunk of that existing money. So signing a new deal would essentially replace the money he's due to lose in taxes.

There's zero reason for him not to opt out. Plenty of players opt out and re-sign with the same team. That's why the opt out clause is there.

23 minutes ago, HaloCory22 said:

There's plenty of reasons for him to opt out.

1- His stock has grown since he signed the first deal.

2- CA sales tax will take a large chunk of that existing money. So signing a new deal would essentially replace the money he's due to lose in taxes.

There's zero reason for him not to opt out. Plenty of players opt out and re-sign with the same team. That's why the opt out clause is there.

We'll take a look around the league both NL and AL. Who needs a LF and is that team willing to invest $100M+ on Justin Upton? Because there's $90M in his pocket right now.

Sometimes I wonder what's really more important to a player, money or winning. Does he really give a hoot that he's standing next to Trout?

40 minutes ago, Calzone said:

We'll take a look around the league both NL and AL. Who needs a LF and is that team willing to invest $100M+ on Justin Upton? Because there's $90M in his pocket right now.

Sometimes I wonder what's really more important to a player, money or winning. Does he really give a hoot that he's standing next to Trout?

Team - Need LF - $

Nationals - yes and yes

Marlins - no and no

Phillies - maybe and maybe

Braves - yes and no

Mets - yes and yes

Cubs - no and yes

Brewers - no and no

Pirates - no and no

Cards - no and yes

Reds - no and no

Dodgers - maybe and oh my gosh yes

D'Backs - no and maybe

Rocks - no and yes

Padres - yes and yes

Giants - yes and yes

Red Sox - no and yes

Yankees - no and yes

O's - yes and yes

Rays - yes and no

Blue Jays - no and yes

Indians - yes and yes (Yes for LF because Brantley can't seem to stay healthy)

Royals - no and no

Twins - no and no

Tigers - yes and yes

White Sox - no and no

Astros - no and no

Rangers - yes and yes

Mariners - no and yes

A's - no and no

Angels - yes and yes

Regarding if a team "needs" a LF - I stated no if their current LF had a decent year or if they had a young player in the wings (like the Yankees with Clint Frazier)

Money is always more important - most do this for only a few years and have to make all they can while it lasts...

Fixed @ksangel

Team - Need LF - $

Nationals - no and yes (They have Harper, Eaton, Robles and Taylor. Maybe Werth too, but i'm not sure of his contract)

Marlins - no and no

Phillies - maybe and maybe (No way, they have a ton of young OF and are still in the midst of rebuilding. Rhys Hoskins is playing LF)

Braves - no and no (They already had Upton once. They're going young). 

Mets - no and yes (Cespedes, Nimmo & Conforto all set for 2018) 

Cubs - no and yes

Brewers - no and no

Pirates - no and no

Cards - no and yes

Reds - no and no

Dodgers - maybe and oh my gosh yes (The Dodgers will have Pederson and Verdugo compete for LF. Taylor in CF, Puig in RF. Toles is another option in LF). 

D'Backs - no and maybe

Rocks - no and yes

Padres - yes and yes (The Padres already had Upton. I doubt he reunites with a team that's not going to win for a while). The Padres also have Pirela, Margot & Renfroe)

Giants - yes and yes (The Giants are a real option for a power hitting left fielder, but will they pay more than what he's already owed?)

Red Sox - no and yes

Yankees - no and yes

O's - yes and yes (No. The O's will go with Hayes, Jones and Mancini in their OF next season). 

Rays - yes and no (Another good possibility for an Upton signing, but I see them trading their young SP for outfield help.)

Blue Jays - no and yes

Indians - yes and yes (Yes for LF because Brantley can't seem to stay healthy) - NO, the Indians have Chisenhall, Naquin, Zimmer, Kipnis, Brantley and Allen for the OF.

Royals - no and no

Twins - no and no

Tigers - yes and yes (NO, they're not going to re-acquire him as the Tigers seem poised to go into rebuilding mode).

White Sox - no and no

Astros - no and no

Rangers - yes and yes (NO, I hear Delino DeShields will move to CF, Gallo to LF and you have Mazara in RF. 1B prospect Ronald Guzman seems poised for the job at 1B, Beltre at 3B, Choo at DH).

Mariners - no and yes

A's - no and no

Angels - yes and yes - I think Upton doesn't opt out or the Angels give him another year at the same $$$ on his current deal to stay. 

*Basically you have the Giants, Rays and MAYBE the Rangers, but I bet if they spend money anywhere it will be for SP after losing Darvish and/or a 1B if they don't feel Guzman is ready). 

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Fixed @ksangel

Team - Need LF - $

Nationals - no and yes (They have Harper, Eaton, Robles and Taylor. Maybe Werth too, but i'm not sure of his contract)

Werth's a FA this year.

Phillies - maybe and maybe (No way, they have a ton of young OF and are still in the midst of rebuilding. Rhys Hoskins is playing LF)

They won't be spending money this offseason. Next year, however...

See the Phillies (although even less likely to spend money this year or next).

Dodgers - maybe and oh my gosh yes (The Dodgers will have Pederson and Verdugo compete for LF. Taylor in CF, Puig in RF. Toles is another option in LF). 

I can see them thinking of Upton as an upgrade and trading someone...but not likely.

Rocks - no and no

I really don't think they'll be spending money on OF. They'll probably try to lock up Arenado long-term.

Padres - yes and yes (The Padres already had Upton. I doubt he reunites with a team that's not going to win for a while). The Padres also have Pirela, Margot & Renfroe)

And I don't think they've got much money they'd give to a free agent LFer.

Giants - yes and yes (The Giants are a real option for a power hitting left fielder, but will they pay more than what he's already owed?)

They may have to consider a rebuild.

O's - yes and yes (No. The O's will go with Hayes, Jones and Mancini in their OF next season). 

Maybe. Although they might have to consider a rebuild as well.

Rays - yes and no (Another good possibility for an Upton signing, but I see them trading their young SP for outfield help.)

They're not spending that kind of money.

Indians - yes and yes (Yes for LF because Brantley can't seem to stay healthy) - NO, the Indians have Chisenhall, Naquin, Zimmer, Kipnis, Brantley and Allen for the OF.

Of course, nobody saw them signing Encarnacion, either. I'd put them in the sleeper class, depending on whether they bring home a championship.

Tigers - yes and yes (NO, they're not going to re-acquire him as the Tigers seem poised to go into rebuilding mode).

Rebuilding. Solid no.

Rangers - yes and yes (NO, I hear Delino DeShields will move to CF, Gallo to LF and you have Mazara in RF. 1B prospect Ronald Guzman seems poised for the job at 1B, Beltre at 3B, Choo at DH).

Maybe. Depends on which way they decide to go (rebuild or reload).

Mariners - no and yes

I don't think they can afford another big salary.

Angels - yes and yes - I think Upton doesn't opt out or the Angels give him another year at the same $$$ on his current deal to stay. 

There's a need, and a fit. His most logical landing spot is here.

*Basically you have the Giants, Rays and MAYBE the Rangers, but I bet if they spend money anywhere it will be for SP after losing Darvish and/or a 1B if they don't feel Guzman is ready). 

I added comments. They are underlined.

26 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Fixed @ksangel

Team - Need LF - $

Marlins - no and no

Cubs - no and yes

Brewers - no and no

Pirates - no and no

Cards - no and yes

Reds - no and no

D'Backs - no and maybe

Rocks - no and yes

Red Sox - no and yes

Yankees - no and yes

Blue Jays - no and yes

Royals - no and no

Twins - no and no

White Sox - no and no

Astros - no and no

Mariners - no and yes

A's - no and no

Chuck I think you nailed it. I was going to research it and report back but your analysis is pretty spot on. I really believe that Upton's best fit is right here in Anaheim. He would be gambling if he opts out unless he has a club friendly deal in place in exchange for a slight increase in salary. 

7 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Upton wants to win and the Giants finished last in their division this season, and could lose 100 games if they are swept this weekend.

and does he really think he'll win in the AL East with the Rays with the Yankees, Red Sox, O's and Blue Jays there?

Plus, So. Cal weather > Tampa, FL weather 

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Think the dodgers will have a need for an outfielder. Pederson is out of favor and puig is acting up again.

45 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I think theyll be holding off until the 18 offseason, and go for one of the huge names

Some team with a lot of money and/or prospects are going to trade for Stanton. The Dodgers have both.

22 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Some team with a lot of money and/or prospects are going to trade for Stanton. The Dodgers have both.

Yeah, i think the dodgers are in the best position to nab him. And i think hed in a heartbeat waive his no trade clause to go there.

I still dont see miami trading him though.

22 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I still dont see miami trading him though.

The reason I think they will trade him is because of what was said by (I think) Victor Rojas. Anyway someone said either before or during the game that the new ownership was out to cut payroll. Stanton is by far their biggest payroll expense.